Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post

I think having the gun in condition 3 in my front pocket is better than a stick, and gives me mental piece of mind.
    A good case can be made that a lowly stick makes a decent one-handed weapon while an essentially unloaded pistol in your pocket is worthless with one hand even if you manage to retrieve it. Personally, I wouldn't pocket carry a striker fired pistol. But the market is loaded with good holsters for them and DA pistols and revolvers for your pocket. Either of those will give you real peace of mind.

Having read through the responses as well as reading your decision reference going over to her house, I'm not going to offer relationship advice. Sorry, that's your loss.

I do want to address C3 carry, though. It sounds like you've thought about this decision a bit, so, although I don't agree with your decision, I recognize I'm unlikely to change your mind.

Here's the deal though, you really need to practice going from unloaded chamber, to loaded chamber. Use dummy rounds to practice. Practice seated in your car, seated at a table, in your recliner, in bed, and on the move - both walking and running. Always make sure for two-handed manipulations you muzzle is in a safe direction and
    Then go back and figure how you can go from unloaded chamber, to loaded chamber with one hand.

Figure out how you could do it with someone on top of you while you are trying to fend them off with your other hand.

Always make sure for two-handed manipulations you muzzle is in a safe direction and your finger is outside the trigger guard. For one-handed manipulations you will often have to settle for 'muzzle in the least dangerous direction possible' and finger outside of the trigger guard.

I'm sure there is a plethora of 'one-hand manipulation' videos on you-tube, before watching them I would try to brainstorm and figure it out for myself, then see how I did.

Ask questions if needed.

Good luck.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

You seem to have thought a bit about the issues at hand, but I’ll add my thoughts.

The woman: red flag, there are plenty of fish in the sea.

Car storage: minus a real lockbox, just don’t.

Condition 3 carry: you mentioned a GP100, so you have at least some passing familiarity with revolvers. I would get a LCR in the caliber of your choice and pocket carry that with a fully charged cylinder instead of the P365. Without a round chambered, you are severely disadvantaged in any scenario approaching reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    As I see it, this seems to be more of a ego battle between the two of you, rather than over any safety concerns.

You admittedly refuse to carry your weapon in a state of readiness because there's a microscopic chance you'll have to use it. Yet, respecting her wishes in her own home are a problem for you. You're willing to be unready in your daily life, yet you draw a line in the sand over carrying an unready weapon in your girlfriends home?

Ditch the gun, you're not mature enough to handle the responsibility.
    /Bingo, age is not a measure of maturity.

I really wish people would stop mocking and chastising people for carrying in C3.

The appropriate response to that information is to strongly suggest training. Sufficient training will correct that mistake naturally. Aside from people like @Clusterfrack mentioned who are making an informed choice even if it's the wrong one.

If someone hasn't done enough training to understand why that's a problem then having a round in the chamber isn't going to make them or anyone else safer. I think everyone has met at least one of those people in the wild. I don't think we need to make more.

I may have missed it, but has anyone suggested that @365X switch to a J frame in the pocket? It can be carried fully loaded while still being less likely to make an unintentional loud noise.

And since 365X asked, I recommend:

1. Ditch the GF.
    2. Load a S&W 642, put it in the pocket holster of your choice, and drive on.

Edit: Just noticed that @LJP had the same thought regarding a pocket revolver. Great minds and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I really wish people would stop mocking and chastising people for carrying in C3.

The appropriate response to that information is to strongly suggest training. Sufficient training will correct that mistake naturally. Aside from people like @Clusterfrack mentioned who are making an informed choice even if it's the wrong one.

If someone hasn't done enough training to understand why that's a problem then having a round in the chamber isn't going to make them or anyone else safer. I think everyone has met at least one of those people in the wild. I don't think we need to make more.
    A friend of mine carries C3 and here's what I've learned:
    -He will never spend money on training
    -He will listen politely to any reasoning, and still won't get training or stop carrying C3.

Every day he gets away without needing a C1 pistol reinforces that he doesn't need one.

I have found that women respond to logic on C3 carry and are more willing to invest in training. When I ask women how they plan to fight me while getting their P365 into shooting mode, the light bulb comes on instantly. Men, not so much.
    Last edited by Hambo; 03-31-2023 at 06:35 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Back when I was dating the gun issue was the litmus test. I once was ask "why do I have to have guns". It essentially was a psychological eject button to remove the other party as a spousal candidate who ended up in the cull pile of potential mates.

When initially dating my wife of 22 years about my guns she said "let's see the guns". She had limited access to firearms outside the military in Eastern Europe during Cold War era. We will be going to the pistol range this weekend.

It has been my experience that conflicts in relationships only get bigger when the stakes become higher when investing time, treasure, and having children evolve.

Girlfriend will want you to liquidate your battery of arms if and when you marry.

Site Supporter
    Two gun owning friends married women who hated guns. Soon after the ceremony, both women insisted that the husbands discard the firearms. They did so. The op can expect the same response if he marries this person.

About the op's weapon choice. I suggest he switch to a revolver. Drawing a pocket pistol and then having to rack the slide would be an example of intentional fumbling. The other guy will either kill the op or take his weapon from him. Though I still have all my marbles(?&#129300, my degree of physical infirmity suggests that I may be an example of a person who might be easily disarmed. It's something to think about for me.

Regarding this particular issue: gun ownership is a core issue for many people, whether for or against. Just like politics and religion are core issues for even more. It's been my observational experience that such intracability on a core issue will invariably lead to incompatibility down the road.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List