Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

I agree Rob_S and Trooper 224.

Ditch the girl. Go get some relationship coaching to not be so submissive....this isn't machismo internet chest thumping, it's about knowing yourself, how to draw boundaries, and how to select a person to pursue a relationship with. At your age, it's a huge red flag that you even have to ask this question. It's a huge red flag to me that she won't let you bring a gun in the house, I'm assuming even if that means installing a safe and locking it up.

Next, get some training and learn how to properly carry a gun. Condition 3 ain't it.

ETA: might I also suggest to the mods that this isn't an appropriate topic for the "Mindset and Tactics" subforum.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-30-2023 at 09:19 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    First, if it is relationship power issue with guns just as a focal point for the struggle, rethink the relationship.

If it is a serious question from her - here's some info why car storage is bad: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/25/u...rked-cars.html
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    I was married for 27 years, and now I’m somewhat eccentric and retired so I do what I want when I want.
    I don’t have much drive to be with a woman other than the company and had/have dated this lady for 5 years.
    She’s crazy about me physically, and that’s an ego boost to me. But I don’t really care care about dating.

I think having the gun in condition 3 in my front pocket is better than a stick, and gives me mental piece of mind.

BTW Pennsylvania is reciprocal with Florida, but PHILADELPHIA is classified as something like a “city of the first order” ( or something like that)………so having my CCW from Florida which is legal in Pennsylvania, is not legal in the city of Philadelphia.

I guess I won’t visit her at her house or tell her I won’t go there if she busts my balls about my CCW. I did stay with her when I broke my ankle/leg last year, for several weeks. And I had to follow her rules. I was in bad shape. But now fully recovered I don’t follow her rules.

Settled. I won’t shelp to her house if she busts my balls about my CCW. I thought about finding someone else, but to me everyone is a hassle eventually. I’m a stick in the mud.

This was like a sounding board, and if it should be moved from mindset and tactics then please do. Or if it’s not allowed then delete. If allowed then leave. I figured it’s “Mindset and tactics”………talking about condition 3 and carrying all the time or not. Thanks all for mostly reinforcing my mindset of not going there if I can’t carry (even if it’s only condition 3).

My M9A4 that I sleep with one foot away from my head at night, covered with a towel and a pillow, is also condition 3. But that’s my house. So I have the M9A4 less than a foot from my head. A 6” GP100 loaded in the bathroom hidden, and my CCW in my nightstand drawer, that goes with me in jeans or shorts.

I just realized when I’m walking around my house in my PJ’s I don’t have the CCW on me !
    Last edited by 365X; 03-30-2023 at 09:59 AM.

It sounds like the relationship stuff has been addressed satisfactorily. I’ll just add that there is a huge difference between a condition 3 home defense gun that’s kept off-body and your on-body CCW gun. Condition 3 is perfectly acceptable for an off-body home defense gun for numerous reasons including that you should generally have more time to react to someone breaking into your home, you don’t have constant control of the firearm, and since you’d possibly be awakening from a deep sleep having to perform an extra action to get the gun ready to fire is actually prudent. The exact opposite is true for on-body CCW guns. You generally don’t have much time to respond to the threat, you do have constant control of the firearm, and you might not have the ability to chamber a round because of the circumstances. I highly encourage you to seek additional training to the point that you’re comfortable carrying with the chamber loaded (in a pocket holster if your primary mode of CCW is pocket carry). I don’t know how capable you are at chambering a round one handed as you draw from your pocket but there’s a good chance you won’t be able to use two hands to chamber that round should you have to use your gun. There’s numerous reasons most of us prefer to avoid the possibility entirely and just carry loaded guns to begin with. An unloaded gun is useless when you need a loaded one in your hand.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.
    You don't align with her intellectually.

This might be the first example, but it won't be the last.

Cut ties and move on.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    I was married for 27 years, and now I’m somewhat eccentric and retired so I do what I want when I want.
    I don’t have much drive to be with a woman other than the company and had/have dated this lady for 5 years.
    She’s crazy about me physically, and that’s an ego boost to me. But I don’t really care care about dating.

I think having the gun in condition 3 in my front pocket is better than a stick, and gives me mental piece of mind.

BTW Pennsylvania is reciprocal with Florida, but PHILADELPHIA is classified as something like a “city of the first order” ( or something like that)………so having my CCW from Florida which is legal in Pennsylvania, is not legal in the city of Philadelphia.

I guess I won’t visit her at her house or tell her I won’t go there if she busts my balls about my CCW. I did stay with her when I broke my ankle/leg last year, for several weeks. And I had to follow her rules. I was in bad shape. But now fully recovered I don’t follow her rules.

Settled. I won’t shelp to her house if she busts my balls about my CCW. I thought about finding someone else, but to me everyone is a hassle eventually. I’m a stick in the mud.

This was like a sounding board, and if it should be moved from mindset and tactics then please do. Or if it’s not allowed then delete. If allowed then leave. I figured it’s “Mindset and tactics”………talking about condition 3 and carrying all the time or not. Thanks all for mostly reinforcing my mindset of not going there if I can’t carry (even if it’s only condition 3).

My M9A4 that I sleep with one foot away from my head at night, covered with a towel and a pillow, is also condition 3.
    I once dated a woman who (at first) said she was fine with me carrying. Then she started pushing back on me carrying in specific places. The issue came to a head over me carrying when we went to her church. Logic and news stories did not persuade her--she didn't want me to carry at her church.

We agreed that she'd ask her pastor, then abide by that choice. The pastor said it was fine and actually welcomed having a well-trained and properly armed parishioner. Then I started to get pushback on carrying other places. As others have pointed out, this is the tip of the iceberg in a battle for control of the the relationship--and of you.

Find someone who's on the same page as you. At your age, there are more fish in the sea than when you were younger. As you get older, there will be even more--it's just demographics.

Also, get the training you need to feel comfortable carrying a pistol on Condition One.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Philadelphia is still a part of The Commonwealth. If you are legal to carry concealed in PA, you are legal in Philly. PA Title 18, Chapter 61 covers CCW. PA calls it LTCF.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Site Supporter
    Interesting.... Are they really able to circumvent LEOSA as well?
    https://criminallawpennsylvania.com/...jurisdictions/

Reciprocity With Other Jurisdictions

A valid license to carry issued in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania is valid in the City and County of Philadelphia. However, Philadelphia does not have reciprocity with any other jurisdictions regarding concealed carry or other gun registration. Any out of state licenses, special licenses out of the county, and certain licenses involving police officers are not valid in Philadelphia.

For example, police officers from New Jersey may not be able to carry their firearm across any of the Philadelphia bridges connecting the two states, because the lack of reciprocity opens up an officer to criminal prosecution. The only license that carries any weight is the license issued throughout the City and County of Philadelphia or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    You could get a PA non-res and be legal in Philly... I suppose
    https://handgunlaw.us/documents/Penn...y_Sheriffs.pdf
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    A friend of mine married a woman after his first wife passed. His new wife swore she would ride motorcycles, shoot guns and not get fat. Guess what. Add spend money like water.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    A friend of mine married a woman after his first wife passed. His new wife swore she would ride motorcycles, shoot guns and not get fat. Guess what. Add spend money like water.
    If they aren't already doing the first two when you meet them, they probably won't.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

User Tag List