Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes……
    Girlfriend/ExGirlfriend kinda doesn’t want me to come over her house with my CCW in a pocket holster, wants me to keep the gun in my car in the car when I visit her.

I pocket carry a P365XL in condition 3, and I’m a low C USPSA shooter. I’ve been shooting for 2 years. Late 50’s age both of us. While she lives in a pretty safe neighborhood with a guard gate…….anything is always possible. And while I never chamber a round because I think the likelihood of a AD or a ND is greater than ever having to use my weapon in a self defense situation that I couldn’t avoid.

Now I live in Florida and for example when I visit my 30 year old kid in Philly, I’m going to leave the gun home because I don’t believe my Florida CCW permit would allow me to carry in the city of Philadelphia. So there are places and occasions I won’t have my CCW on my person, I try and limit those situations I can’t have my CCW with me.

Anyway am I being stubborn in not leaving my CCW in the car when I visit her ? She can either let me in her house and not bust my balls about the CCW, or come to my house. And accept the fact that most places I go I will be armed if I can.
    Of course if going on a cruise or something like that it would be illegal to bring my CCW, so I of course won’t, as I follow the law. And the law in Florida is I can legally carry my CCW with my permit most places, and that’s what I do.

Am I being unreasonable ?

Site Supporter
    This is something you will have to decide for yourself: this woman, or this right you feel is important to exercise.

Do not leave your gun in your car: cars are stolen all the time, and cars are broken into and guns stolen from them all the time.

If you aren’t married to her, and don’t share a kid, you might need to decide that yes, this is unreasonable and take a break from her if you feel like visiting her isn’t worth the hassle.

You may be able to educate her and get her to understand CCW is for your and her safety.

If not you have a choice.

Only my view:

Anyone who wants me to be more helpless will never be my friend or fully trusted.

Talk it over and find out why she feels that way, explain your thoughts, offer to take her shooting. If it's a "hell no" and you're looking for something long term, let her know this is an absolute & unchangeable deal breaker long term. If it's just sport, make sure she understands that and that you'll never be exclusive.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Get a new girlfriend.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post

Now I live in Florida and for example when I visit my 30 year old kid in Philly, I’m going to leave the gun home because I don’t believe my Florida CCW permit would allow me to carry in the city of Philadelphia. So there are places and occasions I won’t have my CCW on my person, I try and limit those situations I can’t have my CCW with me.
    FWIW, I don't see anything in PA law that prohibits a FL resident with a valid FL license from carrying in Philadelphia.

I am not a lawyer. This is just my opinion.

https://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW, I don't see anything in PA law that prohibits a FL resident with a valid FL license from carrying in Philadelphia.

I am not a lawyer. This is just my opinion.

I thought PA dropped reciprocity with FL altogether. Has that been reinstated?

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    Am I being unreasonable ?
    Is she?

My wife didn't know anyone who had guns, hunted, or liked shooting, until she met me. She took it as part of who I am and has never complained or asked me to stop or get rid of guns.

I would advise you to dump this chick and get enough training to be confident carrying a gun that's ready to shoot.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Best "information" out there. As always and of course, you carry at your own risk.
    re: the female companion, if she's not even open to a conversation, IMHO you need a different one.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

If this is nothing more than a booty call or friends with benefits, I’d leave the gun in the car, tap it, and go home.

If this is someone you’re pursuing a long-term serious relationship with I’d bail asap (or revert to FWB). Not because of the gun, but because of the other bullshit that’s going to go along with someone that thinks like that. Major red flag.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List