Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

It sounds nice a lady/companion involved with your hobby any hobby…..in theory.
    For me it’s never worked out that way. I don’t care who it is, I need a break from them. AND I’m sure they need a break from me.

And believe me there are a lot of things I’m not easy going about……..just ask my ex-wife.

Would she consider having a lockbox at her place where you could put your gun? Maybe she’s worried she’ll shoot you if y’all got in an argument.

Her place, her rules.

That said, to me this is an enormous red flag. When I started dating after losing my wife tolerance for shooting and carry was a non-negotiable, and I actually amicably walked away from a few promising women because of it. My wife now is a Texas liberal, meaning she just wants me to be safe and keep guns not on body locked up (because of the kids) - something I would do anyways.

I’d be looking for an out.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Since this is the mindset and tactics subforum, I'll answer with that in mind.

"Girlfriend/ExGirlfriend": Sounds like this may be an on/off relationship? Do you trust her with a loaded firearm?

Condition 3 (Israeli carry): A good friend of mine is a USPSA M and carries C3. He understands that this is poor self-defense tactics, but still can't bring himself to carry a "fully loaded" firearm. It's a mindset thing, and I won't try to talk him out of it.

Likelihood of a AD or a ND: It is easy to learn out how to lower that likelihood significantly, and mitigate it if it happens by only doing administrative functions while pointed in a safe direction. We're big fans of training here on P-F, and I'm sure someone can recommend a good instructor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes……
    Girlfriend/ExGirlfriend kinda doesn’t want me to come over her house with my CCW in a pocket holster, wants me to keep the gun in my car in the car when I visit her.

I pocket carry a P365XL in condition 3, and I’m a low C USPSA shooter. I’ve been shooting for 2 years. Late 50’s age both of us. While she lives in a pretty safe neighborhood with a guard gate…….anything is always possible. And while I never chamber a round because I think the likelihood of a AD or a ND is greater than ever having to use my weapon in a self defense situation that I couldn’t avoid.

Now I live in Florida and for example when I visit my 30 year old kid in Philly, I’m going to leave the gun home because I don’t believe my Florida CCW permit would allow me to carry in the city of Philadelphia. So there are places and occasions I won’t have my CCW on my person, I try and limit those situations I can’t have my CCW with me.

Anyway am I being stubborn in not leaving my CCW in the car when I visit her ? She can either let me in her house and not bust my balls about the CCW, or come to my house. And accept the fact that most places I go I will be armed if I can.
    Of course if going on a cruise or something like that it would be illegal to bring my CCW, so I of course won’t, as I follow the law. And the law in Florida is I can legally carry my CCW with my permit most places, and that’s what I do.

Am I being unreasonable ?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Since this is the mindset and tactics subforum, I'll answer with that in mind.

"Girlfriend/ExGirlfriend": Sounds like this may be an on/off relationship? Do you trust her with a loaded firearm?

Condition 3 (Israeli carry): A good friend of mine is a USPSA M and carries C3. He understands that this is poor self-defense tactics, but still can't bring himself to carry a "fully loaded" firearm. It's a mindset thing, and I won't try to talk him out of it.

Likelihood of a AD or a ND: It is easy to learn out how to lower that likelihood significantly, and mitigate it if it happens by only doing administrative functions while pointed in a safe direction. We're big fans of training here on P-F, and I'm sure someone can recommend a good instructor near you.
    I trust her not to shoot me, but not to safely handle a firearm. She wouldn’t touch it. She’s someone that’s very smart in some things, and not in others. I just won’t go over her house unless she changes her mind, I’m done with being nagged. And I resemble your friend although I’m not nearly as skilled.

One of the first few dates I took my wife on was a trip to the range. She did not know it at the time, but it was a litmus test. Had that not gone well, it would have been over. I wasn't about to get emotionally involved/invest in a relationship I knew wasn't going to go where it needed to go. Twenty-nine happily married years later and I'd have to say it was the right choice. So there's that.

That said, there could be different reasons why she's reluctant to have your gun in the house. Teasing out the "why" suggests different actions/solutions.

One could be she's antigun.

Another could be she's not confident in your firearms handling. Now, I don't know you. Just offering this up for personal reflection. But some things in the thread, like carrying with an empty chamber, etc. make me wonder if it could be applicable. Just saying. May/may not apply. Take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes……
    Girlfriend/ExGirlfriend kinda doesn’t want me to come over her house with my CCW in a pocket holster, wants me to keep the gun in my car in the car when I visit her.

I pocket carry a P365XL in condition 3, and I’m a low C USPSA shooter. I’ve been shooting for 2 years. Late 50’s age both of us. While she lives in a pretty safe neighborhood with a guard gate…….anything is always possible. And while I never chamber a round because I think the likelihood of a AD or a ND is greater than ever having to use my weapon in a self defense situation that I couldn’t avoid...

Anyway am I being stubborn in not leaving my CCW in the car when I visit her ? ...

Am I being unreasonable ?
    It may have been covered already, but there are two, no, three problems here: Your comfort with the pistol, her comfort with the pistol, and leaving it in the car.

The car ... it does neither you nor anyone else any good if you are leaving the handgun in the car. And, unless you have legit secure storage in your car, you are risking a very real chance of theft. That'd let another goun get into the hands of those with zero right, need for one.

Your comfort - this isn't derogatory towards you; however, if you are not comfortable carrying a quality handgun with a round chambered, then you should not carry that handgun concealed on you. The research and validation is out there.

Her comfort - If are committed to that relationship and concealed carry, you'll need to find out her fears, concerns and work to address them. Your lack of comfort may well be playing into that.

I wish you the best.

Site Supporter
    Took Wife to the range early on in our relationship... She out-shot me.
    BiL is an avid hunter... No problems visiting there armed. I give him crap about his lack of carry permit.. He's got a little Fudd in him, I suppose.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I don't really feel that telling a guy what to do in this situation is a topic for polite conversation (especially since we haven't seen a picture), but hey, you asked...

The answer almost certainly isn't "I just won't go over to her place" - you're still wasting time with her, when there might be someone else out there who won't need the compromises. Take your rod down to the pier and throw a line in the water. Part of the fun of fishing in the ocean is that you have no idea what you might reel in.

If George Zimmerman carried in Condition 3, we would never know his name. There would have been an obituary in the Sanford paper, and that's it. He was on the ground under an attacker who was trying to beat him to death. If he had needed to rack his slide after drawing, it would have been game over for him. Of course you can argue that he made lots of bad decisions to be in that position in the first place, but, carrying with a round in the chamber isn't one of them.

The C3 thing isn't a good thing, really. It's very possible that one won't have the time to rack the slide, or an extra hand when it is needed most. I believe it was BBI who had a personal story about a broken thumb not letting him deactivate the safety on a 1911.

If one is worried about an accidental loud noise with a semi-auto, it may be better to switch to a revolver.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List