Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    FWIW, I don't see anything in PA law that prohibits a FL resident with a valid FL license from carrying in Philadelphia.

I am not a lawyer. This is just my opinion.

https://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    Nor me. My "CCW" iPhone app I use when traveling indicates PA honors the FL CCW permit, but only if the person is both 1) over 21 and 2) a resident of PA. I'm not 100% sure what they mean by "resident", i.e. permanent or temporary.

*Edit: I followed the link @hufnagel provided and "resident" means resident of FL. I take it as you are GTG in PA if you have a valid FL permit:

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-c...ty-Summary.pdf

I have no opinion on the family situation, seems like that's something you have to work out yourself with your partner.

Name:  IMG_2235.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  35.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I thought PA dropped reciprocity with FL altogether. Has that been reinstated?
    Not according to the handgunlaw link I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    *Edit: I followed the link @hufnagel provided and "resident" means resident of FL. I take it as you are GTG in PA if you have a valid FL permit
    My understanding is that PA does not honor non-resident permits, so, someone from NY can't get a FL non-res and carry in PA, for example. But if you are a FL resident with a FL permit, PA honors it.

Again, IANAL. Just my opinion.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

My understanding is that PA does not honor non-resident permits, so, someone from NY can't get a FL non-res and carry in PA, for example. But if you are a FL resident with a FL permit, PA honors it.
    That makes sense.

Like as a FL resident, I can obtain a UT permit to "cover" additional states (It might have been WA at the time I was after, since we planned to travel there). Once I went so far as to take the UT non-resident permit class here in FL. For reasons I can't recall, I never applied for a UT permit.

I suppose it depends on if she's "worth it." I'm only slightly older than you and by now I know myself pretty well and what's important to me. I got married at 22 and my wife didn't care about guns much herself but understood that I was going to CCW at all times. I was carrying at my wedding! We split for other reasons. Now if a woman didn't want me to CCW in her house I might not break it off immediately but I probably wouldn't spend time at her place much. Ultimately it depends on where I felt it was heading. In your late fifties, is this a fling or a thing? If you got married what would she say about guns in your shared home? Personally I wouldn't want to dishonest with her but neither would I quit carrying a sidearm to appease her.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. - Richard Feynman
    When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.- Archbishop Helder Câmara

Its a check to assert dominance. If you like being dominated and are ok with that creeping into all aspects of your life and being micro managed, with probably nothing to her satisfaction eventually then stick around. If thats not appealing Id lay down the law and if she isnt compliant move on. The question is, is this a one time thing that can be quashed or will it be a forever issue.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Drop that bitch like a hot potato.

Start carrying your gun loaded. It ain't loaded with the chamber empty.

The way I feel after just 8 years of carry, I'd be looking real close at moving on. If I am outside our house I am armed. Maybe a month ago I was working on a project and needed to make a Lowes run. Somehow I ended up w/o my carry piece. I realized it getting out of the car at L. I was real close to skipping L, going home, arming up, and coming back. I decided to go in anyway since it was a short trip and I knew exactly what I needed and where it was in the store. Man I felt weird and vulnerable. It can sound crazy some people but there is no way I would stay in a relationship where I was forced to feel vulnerable.

Site Supporter
    A friend once told me that hooking back up with an ex is like digging publicly through a trash can to find and eat the half-eaten sandwich you threw out the day before because it tasted bad and expecting it to taste better this time.

On the other hand, I’d rather carry a decent knife and some pepper spray than pocket (or any kind of carry really) a gun in condition 3. So you’re not loosing that much if you continue to see her and leave the gun locked up at home.

As I see it, this seems to be more of a ego battle between the two of you, rather than over any safety concerns.

You admittedly refuse to carry your weapon in a state of readiness because there's a microscopic chance you'll have to use it. Yet, respecting her wishes in her own home are a problem for you. You're willing to be unready in your daily life, yet you draw a line in the sand over carrying an unready weapon in your girlfriends home?

Ditch the gun, you're not mature enough to handle the responsibility.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    https://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    Best "information" out there. As always and of course, you carry at your own risk.
    Handgunlaw.us is a great resource, but it should be treated like a secondary source which can lead you to a primary source.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/reso...y-reciprocity/

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/wp-c...11/Florida.pdf

User Tag List