Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Girlfriend doesn’t want me to have my CCW when I come over her house.

Quote Originally Posted by 365X View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place for this but here goes……
    Girlfriend/ExGirlfriend kinda doesn’t want me to come over her house with my CCW in a pocket holster, wants me to keep the gun in my car in the car when I visit her.

I pocket carry a P365XL in condition 3, and I’m a low C USPSA shooter. I’ve been shooting for 2 years. Late 50’s age both of us. While she lives in a pretty safe neighborhood with a guard gate…….anything is always possible. And while I never chamber a round because I think the likelihood of a AD or a ND is greater than ever having to use my weapon in a self defense situation that I couldn’t avoid.

Now I live in Florida and for example when I visit my 30 year old kid in Philly, I’m going to leave the gun home because I don’t believe my Florida CCW permit would allow me to carry in the city of Philadelphia. So there are places and occasions I won’t have my CCW on my person, I try and limit those situations I can’t have my CCW with me.

Anyway am I being stubborn in not leaving my CCW in the car when I visit her ? She can either let me in her house and not bust my balls about the CCW, or come to my house. And accept the fact that most places I go I will be armed if I can.
    Of course if going on a cruise or something like that it would be illegal to bring my CCW, so I of course won’t, as I follow the law. And the law in Florida is I can legally carry my CCW with my permit most places, and that’s what I do.

Am I being unreasonable ?
    I reread your post...wow this is freaky. We have a lot in common.

I was married for 29 years, got divorced then dated for a while. I live in FL. I started shooting in my mid 50s in 2014, when I decided I wasn't going to be a victim. I managed to get to high D in USPSA. A couple years ago I decided to focus on health and lost 35 lbs to size 34" pants using a low-carb diet and going back to the gym for weights and cardio.

I tried match.com, and luckily for me, met my (what is now) hawt wife after a few tries. We had some conversations about guns, but not being a gun guy, I had to start the journey from ground zero. She was on board with that. Fortunately I stumbled on p-f early on. That led me to my first "real" training class, Tom Givens Rangemaster two-day. It was eye-opening.

These days I keep things simple with two carry options. As a backup, around the house or at the gym / taking out the trash etc., I have my Ruger LCR. It's either in a clip-on Dark Star Gear kydex holster, or a Desantis Nemesis, in my pocket. My normal EDC is a P365X in a JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5, or a Vedder Pocket Locker.

In your case, honestly, it doesn't sound like things are going swimmingly, the way you've described your situation. It might sound trite, but I always say pistol-forum is where you get what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. The guys are giving you some good advice about C3 carry. I concur with getting some training to make you more at ease.

I hope you stick around the forum. Best of luck.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-01-2023 at 07:22 AM.

Site Supporter
    I only started to concealed carry all the time about 4 years ago. Before, I carried sometimes, and went through various firearms trying to find something that I was comfortable and worked for me. Carrying condition 3 never seemed like a good idea for reasons others have explained better than I could. Further, carrying a firearm comes with a lot of liabilities and possible negative outcomes. Examples are: getting the firearm taken away from you by a very bad person who wants it more than you, getting made while carrying in a non-permissive environment, etc. I’m sure you’re smart enough to see what a lot of these bad outcomes could be.

So, if I am going to run those risks, the juice has to be worth the squeeze. I have to be proficient enough with the gun, and carry it in a manner that gives me a chance of being able to use it effectively in a life or death situation. Otherwise, why bother? Just leave it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Not according to the handgunlaw link I posted.

My understanding is that PA does not honor non-resident permits, so, someone from NY can't get a FL non-res and carry in PA, for example. But if you are a FL resident with a FL permit, PA honors it.

Again, IANAL. Just my opinion.
    Ah, I am reminded now. PA dropped the non resident FL reciprocity. That was a big deal for my buddy’s shop, as a lot of NJ people would come take the FL class to get a permit to be able to carry in PA. In fact, I still have mine, and I moved out 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    A friend of mine carries C3 and here's what I've learned:
    -He will never spend money on training
    -He will listen politely to any reasoning, and still won't get training or stop carrying C3.

Every day he gets away without needing a C1 pistol reinforces that he doesn't need one.

I have found that women respond to logic on C3 carry and are more willing to invest in training. When I ask women how they plan to fight me while getting their P365 into shooting mode, the light bulb comes on instantly. Men, not so much.
    Spot on for this post. Common sense is uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Two gun owning friends married women who hated guns. Soon after the ceremony, both women insisted that the husbands discard the firearms. They did so. The op can expect the same response if he marries this person.

About the op's weapon choice. I suggest he switch to a revolver. Drawing a pocket pistol and then having to rack the slide would be an example of intentional fumbling. The other guy will either kill the op or take his weapon from him. Though I still have all my marbles(?&#129300, my degree of physical infirmity suggests that I may be an example of a person who might be easily disarmed. It's something to think about for me.
    Had a friend go through the same thing till 2020. His wife got concerned snd realized she couldn't fight off men despite Hollywood bs. They ended up overpaying for used guns

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    So you'll work out for months to looks better and possibly impress people, most of whom you haven't seen in 40 years. However, you won't put in the effort to carry a gun in state of readiness. My first answer was mistaken. Quit carrying the gun and have fun with the chick. You might score at the reunion, too.
    Yup. Wtf cares about the opinion of people not in their core group.

Site Supporter
    Rereading this thread I think of a couple of mindset quotes, that may seem to have become cliché over the last few decades, but still ring true to me...

"Experience is something you tend to get AFTER you need it."

"Don't confuse good luck with good tactics."

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want".- Uncle Pat

"You have the rest of your life to solve this problem"- also Uncle Pat

And my favorite addition to the last one for the slower among us..."-how long you live will depend on how well you solve the problem."

pat

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    You could get a PA non-res and be legal in Philly... I suppose
    https://handgunlaw.us/documents/Penn...y_Sheriffs.pdf
    My one problem with PA is that they stopped allowing for mail-in notifications (moving) or renewals some years back, you have to appear at the sheriff's office to do that. If I'm driving through the Commonwealth, I try to make time to stop off in Centre County and pick up a new one.

Thank (insert name of your dear and fluffy lord here) that CT and NH allow mail-in notifications and renewals.

Anyway, back to the OP's initial post: Her house, her rules. Your choices would seem to be comply, try to persuade her to see things your way, or move on.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Thank (insert name of your dear and fluffy lord here) that CT and NH allow mail-in notifications and renewals.
    TX licensing process is online except for initial training class and fingerprints...
    Renewal notices go out about 6 months ahead of expiration. Renewal is online entirely.

Recently, about 3 weeks from renewal application to receiving the card in the mail.

/humblebrag
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    “And while I never chamber a round because I think the likelihood of a AD or a ND is greater than ever having to use my weapon in a self defense situation that I couldn’t avoid.”

Carrying in Condition 3 is pretty much like being unarmed.

When choosing who to date, you have to find somebody culturally compatible, and that is difficult.

User Tag List