Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Info on PPC

Info on PPC

I have a PPC gun coming in and I am getting the urge to nerd out on the sport. I know it is a dying sport, but that is ok to me.

Are there any PPC "bibles"?

I have started to look at some of the old rigs and I found a couple of Youtube videos that were pretty informative for a dummy like me.

This is the one I learned the most from.

I think I want to track down some PPC leather and give it a try (even if it is just on my own).

Site Supporter
    I'm interested in this as well. My club has a PPC range and they used to hold official matches but that ended early 2000s I think? We still have an unofficial PPC monthly match that I MD, but it has a modified course of fire and we don't shoot past 25yds. Though there are some revolver shooters no one is using a modified revolver, it's mostly modern polymer semi autos.
    It amazes me that the old school sight preference was black front, black rear on a black target. When I use a revolver, it's usually a full lugged 6" S&W M14 but I paint the front sight and replaced the rear with a white outline Bowen Rough Country.
    Adam

It's been over 40 years since I shot in a sanctioned match and my PPC gun is long gone. One of my team members was a 1490 shooter and I learned quite a bit from him. The IPSC bug bit me about the same time and being young and fit back then, that discipline captured more of my shooting interest. I've eye-balled a few PPC guns on GB from time to time, but haven't found the right one yet.

NOTE: I'm looking for a Ron Power Grand Master should anyone have one laying around in a sock drawer.

The demands associated with the sport inspired pistolsmiths like Royce Weddle, Bill Davis and Austin Behlert (among others) to crank out guns that would routinely shoot 1.5" groups (or less) at 50 yards. The best S&W action jobs were done by guys like Travis Strahan; think reliable DA trigger pull in the 5-6 lbs range. One of my shooting pals had a Python worked over by the well known Colt gunsmith Fred Sadowski (300 Gunsmith Services) with a trigger in the 5 lb range, as well.

About the time I stopped shooting, Safariland came out with this "caddy" to hold all your stuff. Prior to that, we all had handmade versions constructed of lumber that were cumbersome and heavy. I may still have a carbide sight smoker around here somewhere.

It's an interesting shooting discipline and I had fun with it ..... hope you will, too.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Like @41magfan, my PPC days are four decades past. I’ve considered getting back into it, especially now that I’m mildly mobility challenged.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Is it shot one hand, two hands or whichever you prefer?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Last edited by 41magfan; 03-30-2023 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is it shot one hand, two hands or whichever you prefer?
    No one-hand only stuff, but off-hand shooting is required at some stages.

Does anyone have a copy of "The Complete Manual of PPC" by Fred Romero that they would be willing to let me borrow (or buy)?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    About the time I stopped shooting, Safariland came out with this "caddy" to hold all your stuff. Prior to that, we all had handmade versions constructed of lumber that were cumbersome and heavy. I may still have a carbide sight smoker around here somewhere.

Those loading blocks are wicked pisser if you use Comp-*.* speedloaders. They're not as vital for HSK ones.

I have one for K-frame and one for L-frame. The K-frame one works for Security Sixes, the L-frame one works for GP100s and Pythons.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Good old days for sure.

A friend and I shot at the FOP Range near Selma, AL back when.......He and I are interested in doing it all over again, so I'll be watching to see where this goes.

User Tag List