Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WA HB 1240 (Assault Weapons Ban)

WA HB 1240 (Assault Weapons Ban)

It looks like this is likely to pass. It prohibits the importation of specified guns, and prohibits transfer to anyone in WA other than by inheritance.

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienn...20230329164907

I thought I'd mention one thing people might not have noticed: the bill bans semi-auto pistols with threaded barrels. If you have been thinking about getting a threaded barrel, or a pistol that only comes with a threaded barrel like the Sig 322, you might want to look into it.

The bill takes effect immediately when signed.

(IANAL. Replacement barrels aren't specifically mentioned. My guess is that putting a new threaded barrel into an existing gun, or for that matter cutting threads on an existing gun, or putting an SBX barrel on your 10/22 might be considered to be manufacturing an illegal gun. But IANAL)

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    It looks like this is likely to pass. It prohibits the importation of specified guns, and prohibits transfer to anyone in WA other than by inheritance.

https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienn...20230329164907

I thought I'd mention one thing people might not have noticed: the bill bans semi-auto pistols with threaded barrels. If you have been thinking about getting a threaded barrel, or a pistol that only comes with a threaded barrel like the Sig 322, you might want to look into it.

The bill takes effect immediately when signed.

(IANAL. Replacement barrels aren't specifically mentioned. My guess is that putting a new threaded barrel into an existing gun, or for that matter cutting threads on an existing gun, or putting an SBX barrel on your 10/22 might be considered to be manufacturing an illegal gun. But IANAL)
    I just got a notice today that the bill is out of committee (today was the last day) and approved for a vote. Last day for that is April 4th. This one is going to pass and Inslee will sign it immediately. If a person wants to transfer a rifle or shotgun on the list you only have a few days left. The only difference between WA and CA now is shall issue for permits to carry and open carry. CA is still may issue and restricts open carry. Dark days ahead.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-29-2023 at 07:41 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The only surprise here is it took that long.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Dark days indeed. I'll be paying off my credit card for a while... Fuck these traitors who run WA state.

And likely bans the sale of most AR parts

If so many NW gun shops will go away

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    And likely bans the sale of most AR parts

If so many NW gun shops will go away
    My friend who has had his FFL for 25 years just closed his business last year.

There aren't that many gun shops around here anyway.

If you happen to be a dealer this is also going to cut into your business of doing transfers. Lots of firearms will be illegal to transfer in this state.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

(9) "Detachable magazine" means an ammunition feeding
    device that can be loaded or unloaded while detached from a firearm
    and readily inserted into a firearm.
    Sounds like en-blocs and stripper clips count. Unless there's lawyer-speak elsewhere to the contrary.

A shroud that encircles either all or part of the barrel23
    designed to shield the bearer's hand from heat, except a solid24
    forearm of a stock that covers only the bottom of the barrel;
    Sounds like that would cover m1 garands/carbines and mini-14s as well.
    Last edited by jh9; 03-30-2023 at 09:20 AM.

Taken in concert with recent past legislation, it covers a lot. WA state has already declared semi-auto .22s, eg. a 1915 Browning SA-22, to be “assault weapons” in previous laws. There is some conflicting language over definitions between some of these bills, but I’m not convinced that’s a bug—as opposed to a feature.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm pretty sure "assault weapons" are not heritable in CA, so at least there's that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List