Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What could possibly go wrong - Big Brother Will Be Watching

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    The flip side is. I have nothing to hide.
    Whoever did the world the disservice of equating privacy with hiding should be on the list of people we send the skynet terminators back to whack.

Privacy should be regarded as an utmost fundamental human right and not as a codeword for hiding things. Privacy is the heart of dignity; the ability to chose what’s shared with the world at large.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    As an aside, some number of years ago, faceybook had a map feature where you could pin places you’d lived or traveled to. I pinned some weird shit, just to throw white noise and see what would happen. I got suggestions in my feed about things in birmingham, lagos or brussels for a while.
    I ran into a friend of my daughter at the gym. We chatted for a few minutes.
    Maybe a week later he and his wife meet up with my daughter and I at a sportsball game. We all sit in the same row.
    A few days later I start getting push notifications from Google "Harry is now on Google Meet. Click here to connect with Harry."

He's not even in my contacts.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Whoever did the world the disservice of equating privacy with hiding should be on the list of people we send the skynet terminators back to whack.

Privacy should be regarded as an utmost fundamental human right and not as a codeword for hiding things. Privacy is the heart of dignity; the ability to chose what’s shared with the world at large.
    Amen!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I ran into a friend of my daughter at the gym. We chatted for a few minutes.
    Maybe a week later he and his wife meet up with my daughter and I at a sportsball game. We all sit in the same row.
    A few days later I start getting push notifications from Google "Harry is now on Google Meet. Click here to connect with Harry."

He's not even in my contacts.
    While I have a FB account, I do not have the FB app on my phone. I was at a store and talking to my daughter about a product once. A day later, I started getting ads for that very product in my FB feed. I didn't google that product, we were just chatting about it because the labeling was amusing.

Yeah, they don't listen via the app...

Chris

I think if I were worried about my phone tracking me, I would leave it at home, playing YouTube videos or streaming music.

But comms are important, Joe, you say. Ellifritz had this link on his blog a week ago or so:

https://paultmartin.com/blog/f/proje...a-burner-phone
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

Big Brother Will Be Watching
    No Big Brother IS watching.

Trash your cellphone, delete your entire online presence, burn your finger and toe prints off, rip out all of your teeth and wear dentures made for someone else, write only in code, wear and change disguises daily, and do business in face-to-face transactions with only cash.

Don't forget to install a cyanide capsule in the back molars of your different denture sets (you are changing them right? Right).

WTF? Double tap.

ETA: I'll use my double tap to stay on topic...

There's no hope. By the end we're going to wish for an EMP because One Second After is going to look like a step up. Sorry guys.
    There is. Stop buying/using their shit. The stuff is not even that convenient anymore.

People act like if it's not the newest tech you might as well like in the stone age.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Yep...except that genie's been out of the bottle for a couple of decades now both for commercial entities and governmental ones. No one is giving that capability up, no matter what laws are passed. In a matter of years(months?) every person on earth will have a cloned AI watching them from cradle to grave. Probably several.
    We need a new definition of "Privacy"...one that doesn't actually have "Privacy" in the definition.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Yep...except that genie's been out of the bottle for a couple of decades now both for commercial entities and governmental ones. No one is giving that capability up, no matter what laws are passed. In a matter of years(months?) every person on earth will have a cloned AI watching them from cradle to grave. Probably several.
    We need a new definition of "Privacy"...one that doesn't actually have "Privacy" in the definition.
    Well dump the phone that you can live without and private is private not anything else.

How did we manage to get to 2023 without constantly touching/holding/using gadgets and gizmos?

Absolutely positively NEED to have a phone to be in contact at all hours of the day? I think old fashioned dump phones are still made.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Well dump the phone that you can live without and private is private not anything else.

How did we manage to get to 2023 without constantly touching/holding/using gadgets and gizmos?

Absolutely positively NEED to have a phone to be in contact at all hours of the day? I think old fashioned dump phones are still made.

I think it's already too late. Even if you forgo the 24/7 surveillance, speech recording, tracking, pattern of life compiler to your permanent record that's in your pocket...Driver' licenses, credit cards, car tags, the cars themselves, ubiquitous networked cameras and microphones, overhead drone and satellites, and no doubt burners(tagged with unique identifiers) are all hoovered up and fed into monetizing AIs that use the infrastructure and techniques developed in the GWOT. The next bills of cash will likely contain more computing power than the Apollo lander-maybe they already do.
    It's a turnkey tyranny merely awaiting the right set of actors.
    Pretty soon(tomorrow? The day after?) even your absence from tracking data will flag you for enhanced surveillance.
    Orwell characterized the future as "A boot stomping a human face, forever." We've done better than the Soviets ever dreamed. They don't even need to hire a boot, just a big ol' hairy eyeball, paid for by campaign donations from Big Tech.
    At this point, Skynet's Judgement Day starts looking like a positive outcome.

User Tag List