Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At least 40 killed in Juarez migrant facility arson

At least 40 killed in Juarez migrant facility arson

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said migrants had set mattresses ablaze.

"It was related to a protest they started, we think, when they learned that they'd be deported," the president said.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-65088389

Site Supporter

I remember some discussions several years ago about what types of people were invading our border. This may give a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Went from "meh, not that bad" to "holy crap!" rather quickly. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    Went from "meh, not that bad" to "holy crap!" rather quickly. Damn.
    I've thought since the first time I was trained with controlled fires, that we should give high school students a round in one. I know some kid would end up traumatized and the school would get sued, but people don't realize how quickly fires build, and become absolutely impossible to navigate. The difference between, "dammit, something caught fire" and "I can't see anything and I can barely breathe" in many cases is well under a minute. Especially in urban environments, where one person's mistake endangers hundreds of people.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

I was thinking about that the other night when I was wheezing my way up the stairs to grab my inhaler. BTW we were looking for an additional fire extinguisher last week and right next they had these.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert/5013490131
    It comes packed in a nice box w/ a carry handle. it is in our bedroom now next to the window. I plan for 2 more for the other bedrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I was thinking about that the other night when I was wheezing my way up the stairs to grab my inhaler. BTW we were looking for an additional fire extinguisher last week and right next they had these.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/First-Alert/5013490131
    It comes packed in a nice box w/ a carry handle. it is in our bedroom now next to the window. I plan for 2 more for the other bedrooms.
    I got my brother a couple of those when their kids were little and the bedrooms were upstairs.

Site Supporter
    On the note of fire safety - having had to put out a fire in a workshop before, fire extinguisher size is a lot like magazine capacity. You'll never get a fire out and be happy you had the smaller fire extinguisher. But it's better to have a small one than none at all.

Since most extinguishers are static mounted in some constant location and don't need to be carried around, I'd really encourage folks to plan on at least one 40 B:C extinguisher per occupied floor of a residence, and if space permits, a 60 B:C for the kitchen. If you've got a garage and you'll ever touch the fuel system on an internal combustion anything or will store gasoline containers in that garage, also a 60 B:C.

10 B:C's run out awfully fast and it's a scary feeling to feel an extinguisher going empty while a fire's still roaring. Thankfully there was a second larger extinguisher buried under some other crap in that guy's shop (another lesson I learned from that incident - wall mounts, wall mounts, wall mounts!) and he used it to get the fire out.

I used an extinguisher a couple years ago to put out a fire caused by a chemical oxidizer that leaked from a barrel on onto a wooden pallet. There were propane tanks and gasoline cans nearby. The person who was closest to the fire when it started panicked, and ran out of the building without shouting or warning me or anyone else. After we moved it outside, it reignited and we had to hit it again. I agree that bigger is better.

I pay a bit more attention to where extinguishers are located now.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    I've thought since the first time I was trained with controlled fires, that we should give high school students a round in one. I know some kid would end up traumatized and the school would get sued, but people don't realize how quickly fires build, and become absolutely impossible to navigate. The difference between, "dammit, something caught fire" and "I can't see anything and I can barely breathe" in many cases is well under a minute. Especially in urban environments, where one person's mistake endangers hundreds of people.
    Practical demonstrations tend to sink in better. I agree with you.

User Tag List