Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 19-9: 5000 round review

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Based on my sample of one, I'd say that they still can put on canted shrouds. I'd not buy a new S&W revolver without the ability to closely inspect it beforehand.
    Bummer to hear that; I wish we didn't have to worry about such things!

Great review. And I agree with your assessment.

If you ever want to go back to standard hard cast bullets look into getting your throats honed.

I went from barely being able to get through a range session to being able to shoot hundreds, if not thousands of hard cast loads before I have to clean . I typically clean the arbor out of prevention now rather than sluggishness.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Great Report, and Welcome to the Forum!

I’m obsessed with barrel/cylinder gaps, so did you measure this? Is the flame cutting into steel, or is there lead residue on the steel as well? The track cut into the recoil shield seems excessive for 850-ish cylinder openings/closings. S&W needs to pay more attention to matching the steel they use. Having said that, it seems like very nice revolver.

Saw this on the other forum, but nice to have you on this one.

Great first post and great review. I am curious as to how the decision was made to select the M19 versus the M586 or M686. The L-frame was, as I am sure everyone knows, was designed to deal with the K-frame durability issues with light bullets driven at Magnum velocities.

@03RN - I'll have to take a look at that option, thanks!

@FrankB - I don't have feeler gauges (yet) so I do not know the B/C gap. It appears the flame cutting is cutting into the steel of the topstrap and is not just lead buildup. I do my best to clean up with bronze brushes and dental picks!

@farscott - I picked this for the same reasons Bill Jordan wanted a K frame I think hahah. The L frame is a bit big for me and I got this when I was already carrying a 4" K frame - a model 64.

Wow ! Now that’s what I call a great first post . Excellent photography.

Quote Originally Posted by vermilionbird View Post
    The recoil shield:
    This is a great post. I love seeing the new stuff with some miles on it.

The wear on the recoil plate is interesting, though; it looks a bit excessive. I went and dug out my old IDPA 686 and for comparison

Name:  recoilplate3.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  30.6 KB
    Name:  recoilplate2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  25.7 KB
    Name:  recoilplate1.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  25.1 KB

The wear on the blued 19 looks more than finish deep, like the center pin is putting a significant trench in the recoil plate and a bigger divot on the bolt. On the stainless 686 the last picture should capture that it's mostly just finish-deep. Roughly 8k on the odometer with ~10ish years of IDPA from 1-4 matches a month.

Can you get another angle on your 19? Kind of wonder if @03RN can capture the wear on his 66. I wonder 1) if most of that is early on and the metal is work hardened by the center pin such that by the time you're here it's probably as bad as its going to get and 2) if the blued carbon steel is wearing different than the stainless.

Site Supporter
    Excellent, excellent post.

Welcome!

I miss my M-19, now 25+ years gone. My first privately owned duty piece. Before that, I had issued M10s and M66s. The next one was a privately owned G21, also gone almost 2 decades.

pat

In case I missed it how many malfunctions in the 5K rounds?

User Tag List