Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 19-9: 5000 round review

S&W 19-9: 5000 round review

Hey all, longtime lurker but I recently made an account here and this is my first post so go easy . I picked up a S&W Model 19-9 with a 4.25" barrel in late 2021 with the hope of carrying this as my EDC gun. Yesterday, I crossed the 5000 round threshold so I wanted to share some thoughts for any of you also looking into one of the new K frames from S&W. Specifically, I've shot 5148 rounds through this gun. 1274 of those rounds were 357 magnum, of which 779 were mid-range reloads. Of the remaining 3974 rounds of 38 special, 3416 were also reloads, though my 38 reloads tend to run a little warm (for a 38). I think I've fired less than 25 of these rounds in single action. I shoot this gun exclusively in double action and with maybe a quarter of that shooting .33 splits, chasing .25 splits.

The pictures below show some of the wear that has developed after these 5148 rounds.

The recoil shield:

Bluing worn off of the charge holes:

Some forcing cone erosion:

Flame cutting of the top-strap:

A little peening of the cylinder notches:

Cylinder stop looks good:

TLDR:
    My sparknotes review is that this is a really great gun now and is an improvement over the old K-frames. However, it's held back by S&W QC issues that affected it functionally and cosmetically. There are also some engineering compromises to might require you to clean it more often if you shoot lead bullets. Finding holsters that will accommodate the extra quarter inch of barrel is also a challenge. That being said, my solution now is to order my holsters from Doc Barranti. His Summer Classic is the holster I use when carrying this gun and really makes carrying full size revolvers comfortable and possible for a skinny guy like me.

Keep reading if you want additional details.

Out of the Box
    Out of the box, this gun was not great. It needed to be sent back to the factory as its front sight was loose and improperly installed. I don't have a picture of that but this Model 69 from this youtube video has the exact same issue. The trigger out of the box was inconsistent due to a timing issue. The double action trigger was okay for four of the six charge holes but when pulling the double action trigger for two of the six charge holes, there was a noticeable wall. The Altamont stocks were too narrow and the checkering had no points to each diamond so the grip was too smooth. There were also sharp edges to the stocks. Overall, the stocks were extremely uncomfortable and irritating to use.

There were also some really nasty cosmetic issues that I was not able to get S&W to resolve.

The gun isn't all bad though. I like the retro style cylinder release as it's comfortable for me. I know purists hate the 2-piece barrel but if it's a way to put on the barrel shroud correctly while avoiding canted barrels, I think it's a worthwhile compromise. I also like that the cylinder locks up at the yoke and not at the tip of the ejector rod. I think this eliminates some vulnerabilities like having the ejector loosen during firing and locking the gun up. I think it also means the gun is less susceptible to issues associated with ejector rod runout. I also like that the tip of the ejector rod is now solid and a smooth surface so it's a little more comfortable to strike.

Changes
    Given some of the issues out of the box, I immediately changed the grips to Pachmayr gripper grips that gave me a much better purchase on the gun. The Pachmayrs also helped me shoot 357s more comfortably since they covered the backstrap. After 2317 rounds fired, I sent this off to Eli at TK Custom for a basic action job and a sight change. The result was a smooth and consistent 10lb double action trigger and Eli was also kind enough to lightly chamfer the charge holes while he was at it. I also had the sights changed to XS standard dot sights. The factory sights were very hard to pick up in low light conditions, and especially if the color of the target was reddish or orange. The pictures below show the difference those make. It is now a much easier gun to shoot.

I'm kind of a middling shooter, especially among you all. I frequently shoot the HiTS revolver super test as a skills check since I'm restricted from drawing from the holster at the indoor range and after these changes, I've been hovering around 175/180. My personal best is a 179 so I'm still trying to achieve that 180!

Factory sights:

XS sights:

Reliability
    I think discussing reliability for this gun needs to be contextual. Out of the 5148 rounds fired, I had two issues that I can't argue about: two light primer strikes. Both occurred when the gun was heavily fouled. I concluded what happened was the fouling in the charge holes prevented the cartridge from fully seating but the cylinder still closed. I think the impact force of the firing pin was spent on seating the cartridge all the way, pushing past the crud, and not on igniting the primer. Both primers were federal small pistol primers in my reloads, both had faint primer marks after the first strike, and both fired when I fully seated them.

Don't quote me on this but I think the new K frame magnums eliminate the gas ring from the cylinder. I believe that change contributes to some difficulties I experienced. When I shot cast lead with Thompson's bullet lubricant, the gun fouled very quickly and somewhere between 150-200 rounds, the cylinder would get so sluggish from the buildup of lead and carbon that it would be extremely difficult to pull the double action trigger. I've moved past this issue since I started using Hi-Tek coated bullets and I've never experienced this issue while shooting factory jacketed ammunition. I think if you stuck with factory FMJ, this would go for much longer than the 150-200 limit I hit with lead bullets.

I think this experience is a reminder that revolver reliability is contextual. I can very easily put a pin on when and how this gun will start experiencing issues: when it's dirty, especially when shooting lead reloads, and somewhere after the 150 round mark. Within that, and if I'm using quality jacketed ammunition or my defensive ammunition, I don't anticipate encountering problems. This is a very different approach to reliability than something like a semiautomatic pistol that intermittently experiences a failure to feed or eject: I think you can still have a reliable gun but it becomes a little bit harder to predict when you might run into problems. However, this aspect is just one of many, many relevant factors to consider when choosing a defensive handgun and I am certainly no expert.

Conclusion
    I think this is a great gun now. The TK Custom action job and the new sights really elevate this gun and help it achieve its full potential. I can live with the cosmetic issues and after a bit of trial and error, I figured out ways to keep the gun running without a really annoying cleaning and maintenance schedule. I would recommend this gun with the caveats above and I hope this helps some of you all make an informed gun buying decision!

I left out a few things while obsessing over formatting on this forum lol
    - I think if you want a shooter for a K frame, these new production guns seem like a nice option. They benefit from evolutionary improvements in engineering and you don't have to worry about cracking the forcing cone.
    - I screwed up the video link. See here for the front sight defect (not my gun, just the same defect): https://youtu.be/NHo1yyhFlV0?t=358
    - I also did a typo on the math: it's 5248 rounds fired

Thanks for reading. I'm just a newbie and I definitely feel dwarfed by the giants here so I am eager to learn and hear all your thoughts.
    Last edited by vermilionbird; 03-30-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Fantastic contribution. Glad to have you here.
    Taking a break from social media.

Outstanding data, documentation, and photos. Thanks!
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Great first post! Welcome to the forum. I think you’ll fit right in.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Great post. It’s a shame S&W’s quality control is so poor because, as you point out, the modern K-frames are great shooters with several advantages over the older revolvers.

Outstanding post. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and welcome aboard!

Excellent post, details, and photos!

Welcome and Thank you.

Thank you all for your very kind words!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Nice first post, you've joined with a bang!

One quibble:

Quote Originally Posted by vermilionbird View Post
    I know purists hate the 2-piece barrel but if it's a way to put on the barrel shroud correctly while avoiding canted barrels, I think it's a worthwhile compromise.
    Based on my sample of one, I'd say that they still can put on canted shrouds. I'd not buy a new S&W revolver without the ability to closely inspect it beforehand.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List