Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I saw somewhere that Ofc Callazo served in the marines previously.
    That would make sense. The way he pushed the stack is exactly how we ran it, you stall you die when engaged.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    3:25 from Officer Engelbert’s arrival to when he engaged the killer. That’s pretty damn good considering they spent about three minutes of that clearing the first floor because they had no stimulus or other clues to where the killer might be. The moment they heard shots, they all ran upstairs and it was over seconds later. No hesitation.

Regarding equipment, there are a couple of different configurations of ARs on scene in the videos. Does anyone know if Metro Nashville allows personally owned rifles? Officer Engelbert had a solidly set up gun: Vortex Razor in what looks like a Scalarworks 1.93” mount with an offset red dot (not clear in the videos but based on the way he held the rifle and the hole in the center of the Scalarworks mount not being visible because that’s how the offset red dot is attached). The other guys with ARs looked like they had standard RDS optics.
    Pretty sure the person outside said second floor - unknown if officer heard that, though, he was busy trying to get a three (apparently their tactics).
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I used to ask our recruits on the last day of firearms training what their first thought was on hearing the news of the latest active shooter/mass killing. The responses were usually along the lines of "How terrible!" or "Those poor people!". I told them that was the wrong response. The response should be "God....if only I had been there." "That's the difference, boys and girls, between putting on the blue suit, and putting on The Job."
    Back in 2012 or 2013, I remember reading an op-ed from someone who carries (or carried) about their response to the Newport shooting, which is that for a lot of people, it can be hard to say, "God, if only I had been there." How hard it is for some of us to say that out loud or even think it. A lot of that is, I think, because of how folks feel others around them would feel about such persons, particularly when such persons are private citizens who carry firearms for their personal protection and not legitimate DEVGRU-Delta-Raider-SEAL-Sniper-Rangers.

To wit, our society seems to treat people who wish they were at the sites of such violence believing they could do some good, to stop the killing, as wannabes with itchy trigger fingers.

I imagine a number of your recruits respond the way they do not because they don't wish they'd been there but because they believe their response is what society wants to hear them say.
    And remember when demons and beasts cast their darkness, you have God's love - and Browning's wrath - to guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Pretty sure the person outside said second floor - unknown if officer heard that, though, he was busy trying to get a three (apparently their tactics).
    She said there were children on lock down on the second floor, not that the shooter was there.

ETA: Just watched the video again to make sure I wasn’t misremembering. The staff member said that Fellowship Hall was at the end of the first floor hallway the officers were about to enter from outside and that’s where someone heard gunshots and that the children were upstairs.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 03-28-2023 at 11:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    Outstanding Job Officers. Textbook work under extremely difficult circumstances.

I would remark on one thing.

People use the term "Searching" to describe their tactics. I would say that they were "Hunting" which in my opinion was exactly the right thing to do.

And there is a difference between the two.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Nashville school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Back in 2012 or 2013, I remember reading an op-ed from someone who carries (or carried) about their response to the Newport shooting, which is that for a lot of people, it can be hard to say, "God, if only I had been there." How hard it is for some of us to say that out loud or even think it. A lot of that is, I think, because of how folks feel others around them would feel about such persons, particularly when such persons are private citizens who carry firearms for their personal protection and not legitimate DEVGRU-Delta-Raider-SEAL-Sniper-Rangers.

To wit, our society seems to treat people who wish they were at the sites of such violence believing they could do some good, to stop the killing, as wannabes with itchy trigger fingers.

I imagine a number of your recruits respond the way they do not because they don't wish they'd been there but because they believe their response is what society wants to hear them say.
    That’s probably part of it. Personally, I get the feeling but don’t usually admit it because I’m sure it sounds a bit immature, at least in a profession that still has lots of combat vets.

ETA - should clarify it to mean immature for someone that’s never been in such a situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-29-2023 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Yes, there's plenty to critique as far as tactics
    I know they'll second guess themselves, but there's no reason to. None of the three of them hesitated, and when they heard shots they went right to the sound of guns.

You can teach tactics, but you can't teach courage. That was damn good work.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I know they'll second guess themselves, but there's no reason to. None of the three of them hesitated, and when they heard shots they went right to the sound of guns.

You can teach tactics, but you can't teach courage. That was damn good work.
    To be clear, I wasn’t trying to take anything away from them. They did a lot of things right, showed courage and leadership, and really did a hell of a job.

When we were watching the video initially, one of my co-workers said (jokingly), “Uh oh, that’s not the ALERRT way.” And of course, like in any situation, there are a few things that could have been cleaned up, but I don’t think we could have asked for anything more from them. This video will be used for years to come to show a proper active shooter response.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    She said there were children on lock down on the second floor, not that the shooter was there.

ETA: Just watched the video again to make sure I wasn’t misremembering. The staff member said that Fellowship Hall was at the end of the first floor hallway the officers were about to enter from outside and that’s where someone heard gunshots and that the children were upstairs.
    That’s what I heard as well— children are upstairs.

He was asking for three more— 4 person contact team is pretty standard if you have the people, and they did.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    ....This video will be used for years to come to show a proper active shooter response.
    I hope it will be used on day 1, about 10 minutes in, of every new class. At the end the instructor will say something like, 'Note that these guys use their training well, they have courage, they run TO the gunfire. If you are not sure you can do that, please don't come back after lunch break.' I know that may sound harsh, but Uvalde made us here all sick, so I think harsh is needed.

User Tag List