Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville school shooting

When I first went into law enforcement there was a quote I heard and I'm sure it had and has been repeated a bunch, but it went something like...

When something bad happens there are those who say "thank God I wasn't there" and there are those who say "God I wish I had been there... I could have made a difference"...

That thought has resonated with me... not for some thrill seeking or morbid desire to kill but because I know I've trained and I've invested in being "ready" to protect. It's what I've spent my entire career getting ready to do if necessary.

We've seen in the past when some are met with that moment and have to live with their choice not to go.

Something bad happened. Those guys made a difference. They have all of my respect.

Besides that I have no words right now.
    Last edited by SoCalDep; 03-28-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Good observation. Metro issues rifles but officers have to buy the optics.
    Anyone willing to put something like $2300 of their own money into improving an issued weapon for duty use is probably going to be someone really passionate about the UoF part of the job. I wouldn’t be surprised if he trains a lot on his own time and dime. Hopefully the rifle doesn’t sit in evidence for too long since the killer is dead. The people of the Nashville metropolitan area are better served by Officer Engelbert not losing his optic setup for any longer than absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    When I first went into law enforcement there was a quote I heard and I'm sure it had and has been repeated a bunch, but it went something like...

When something bad happens there are those who say "thank God I wasn't there" and there are those who say "God I wish I had been there... I could have made a difference"...

That thought has resonated with me... not for some thrill seeking or morbid desire to kill but because I know I've trained and I've invested in being "ready" to protect. It's what I've spent my entire career getting ready to do if necessary.

We've seen in the past when some are met with that moment and have to live with their choice not to go.

Something bad happened. Those guys made a difference.

The like button does not adequately convey my feelings towards this post.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Bravo to the officers and staff who dealt with a world ending event. Alcohol of choice or dinner is on me if we ever meet.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.

Something bad happened. Those guys made a difference. They have all of my respect.

I used to ask our recruits on the last day of firearms training what their first thought was on hearing the news of the latest active shooter/mass killing. The responses were usually along the lines of "How terrible!" or "Those poor people!". I told them that was the wrong response. The response should be "God....if only I had been there." "That's the difference, boys and girls, between putting on the blue suit, and putting on The Job."

Also...

School person outside was awesome from what I saw... Also thought that rifle dude was polite and very much "I have one job right now" in response...

Watched several times... Didn't notice at first, because I was cringing a bit...I've grown up with SWAT teams approaching glass doors and getting shot like in Terminator 2, Die Hard, and others, but after several watches I realized that the glass outer doors lead to mostly solid inner doors in an entry.

So rifle dude keys the door and goes to the first inner door. This moment to me is almost cinematic... I know it's probably almost inappropriate now to speak in such terms, but it's that moment of... Here we go...

Rifle dude opens the door...

and shotgun dude bolts through like he's gonna save the F-ing world.

To me... This guy, in this moment... needs to be recognized too.

This was the first big unknown... into the breach... and this guy is on it. I'm not sure at this is the same guy up in the front when it goes down on the second floor but if so it wouldn't surprise me. It brings tears of proudness for our profession and our calling that are very needed right now.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=SoCalDep;1465653]Also...

School person outside was awesome from what I saw... Also thought that rifle dude was polite and very much "I have one job right now" in response...

Watched several times... Didn't notice at first, because I was cringing a bit...I've grown up with SWAT teams approaching glass doors and getting shot like in Terminator 2, Die Hard, and others, but after several watches I realized that the glass outer doors lead to mostly solid inner doors in an entry.

So rifle dude keys the door and goes to the first inner door. This moment to me is almost cinematic... I know it's probably almost inappropriate now to speak in such terms, but it's that moment of... Here we go...

Rifle dude opens the door...

and shotgun dude bolts through like he's gonna save the F-ing world.

To me... This guy, in this moment... needs to be recognized too.

This was the first big unknown... into the breach... and this guy is on it. I'm not sure at this is the same guy up in the front when it goes down on the second floor but if so it wouldn't surprise me. It brings tears of proudness for our profession and our calling that are very needed right now.[/QUOTE

I am a cillyvillian. But the way they moved. And they pushed and continually pushed the threat. They coordinated they talked. They drove the fight. Each on the team had a fucking job. They didn’t pause. Pushed everything at the expense of themselves to find the shooter. I kinda think but am spitballing. Dude with the shotgun was waiting to breach by Buck.
    That was from what we know the best outcome we could have had

Also...

I loved the calm “Yes, ma’am” to the lady outside as he was getting his rifle and getting ready to make entry. Classic Volunteer State.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Hopefully the rifle doesn’t sit in evidence for too long since the killer is dead. The people of the Nashville metropolitan area are better served by Officer Engelbert not losing his optic setup for any longer than absolutely necessary.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to show some level of gratitude but I'll buy him a new Razor if that's the case and coordinating details were passed my way.

Well done, gents.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I was wondering the same. One reason I've stuck with offset red dot is it is very stable using the offset when moving "dynamically". I thought they overall did a great job, the guy with the pistol really kept the momentum going which I think is key in any type of building fighting
    I saw somewhere that Ofc Callazo served in the marines previously.

Nashville school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Body cam video released.

Yes, there's plenty to critique as far as tactics, but:

- they made entry
    - they began clearing (no driving force)
    - when the driving force presented itself (gunshots), they moved to it immediately

Strong work from MNPD.

Video is down on YouTube, flagged as inappropriate…

ETA - nevermind, I think it’s different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 03-28-2023 at 10:12 PM.

User Tag List