Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville school shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Body cam video released.

Yes, there's plenty to critique as far as tactics, but:

- they made entry
    - they began clearing (no driving force)
    - when the driving force presented itself (gunshots), they moved to it immediately

Strong work from MNPD.

Is the officer with the LPVO running an offset red dot ?

It appears so from the way he’s holding the rifle when he fired and is clearing the rooms but his badge cam is on the wrong side of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

It appears so from the way he’s holding the rifle when he fired and is clearing the rooms but his badge cam is on the wrong side of the rifle.
    I was wondering the same. One reason I've stuck with offset red dot is it is very stable using the offset when moving "dynamically". I thought they overall did a great job, the guy with the pistol really kept the momentum going which I think is key in any type of building fighting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Kinda looks like it here, but I’m not 100% sure if that’s a dot or the sling.

Name:  50E90E26-6798-43A4-A894-2A7957E087D2.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  24.6 KB

Eta:this does look like an offset rds here

Name:  2AF32868-7C93-40B4-9A68-2FC5B1454786.jpeg
Views: 729
Size:  15.2 KB
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 03-28-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Strong work coppers!

Anybody know how long fuckstick was posted at the window sniping for cops? Kind of lucky it lingered there and didn’t continue searching/killing kids.

Not that is really matters but was it a she turned him or vice versa?

Responding officers were studs. Heroes.

Well done, gentlemen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There will be a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking. The majority of it from people who have never heard a shot fired in anger and have never dealt with an active shooter.

The fact is that they moved quickly, did hasty clears (versus slow and methodical, which I am sure they likely did afterwards to confirm that there were no additional threats/devices, etc) and pushed in as quick as they reasonably could until they found their primary target. Hasty clears can be and are dangerous, as it is easy to miss things, but it is what it is and you need to weigh the odds sometimes and just move towards where you think you will find the fight.

When they did find active shooter #1, they put that threat down, without hesitation. More likely than not, since they were not issued a crystal ball and had no idea if there were more killers, they then continued to search and do what they needed until they could confirm the school was secure.

The bottom line is that no response is perfect, but in this case, I would say they did an excellent job overall and they are responsible for a great many parents getting to hug their kids tonight.

3:25 from Officer Engelbert’s arrival to when he engaged the killer. That’s pretty damn good considering they spent about three minutes of that clearing the first floor because they had no stimulus or other clues to where the killer might be. The moment they heard shots, they all ran upstairs and it was over seconds later. No hesitation.

Regarding equipment, there are a couple of different configurations of ARs on scene in the videos. Does anyone know if Metro Nashville allows personally owned rifles? Officer Engelbert had a solidly set up gun: Vortex Razor in what looks like a Scalarworks 1.93” mount with an offset red dot (not clear in the videos but based on the way he held the rifle and the hole in the center of the Scalarworks mount not being visible because that’s how the offset red dot is attached). The other guys with ARs looked like they had standard RDS optics.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Heroic work in extremely extraordinary circumstances. God bless those guys.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I think several things stacked up to limit the carnage.

In the other thread, we have a link to some video showing the shooter wandering around empty hallways, looking for somebody to shoot. It looks like the attack took place at a time of day when most of the kids would have been in classrooms, vs wandering the halls or in the cafeteria. The shooter breached the door by shooting through the glass. I wonder if this helped because the sound of rifle fire was a big clue to get the kids in locked classrooms.

At some point, some kind of alarm was activated.

In Officer Englebert's body cam video, you see a faculty member standing out front, with no cover, so she can give responding officers keys. I got the impression she was locked into a verbal loop, but she did her job and she's a hero in my book.

Once inside the door, the responding officers did a great job. My gut clenched watching them do the hasty clear because they left person-sized spaces un-searched and lots of angles uncovered. That isn't a criticism, it's just a reality of doing an in-extremis hasty clear like that. As one of my old sergeants once said, "you just have to accept that a school shooting is the day you might have to take one for the public."

Once they heard gunshots, they went after the shooter without hesitation.

I think I heard people saying to push the LPVO forward, so there was a recognition at MNPD of the value of a trained person with an LPVO-equipped rifle under those circumstances.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    Regarding equipment, there are a couple of different configurations of ARs on scene in the videos. Does anyone know if Metro Nashville allows personally owned rifles? Officer Engelbert had a solidly set up gun: Vortex Razor in what looks like a Scalarworks 1.93” mount with an offset red dot (not clear in the videos but based on the way he held the rifle and the hole in the center of the Scalarworks mount not being visible because that’s how the offset red dot is attached). The other guys with ARs looked like they had standard RDS optics.
    Good observation. Metro issues rifles but officers have to buy the optics.

User Tag List