Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nashville school shooting

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    She said there were children on lock down on the second floor, not that the shooter was there.

ETA: Just watched the video again to make sure I wasn’t misremembering. The staff member said that Fellowship Hall was at the end of the first floor hallway the officers were about to enter from outside and that’s where someone heard gunshots and that the children were upstairs.
    Thanks for aiding the hearing impaired. (BTW: $5200.00 for the new ones and I still cant hear shit)
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks for aiding the hearing impaired. (BTW: $5200.00 for the new ones and I still cant hear shit)
    I read an article today that also stated the employee told the officers the killer was on the second floor so you’re not the only one to make the mistake.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I hope it will be used on day 1, about 10 minutes in, of every new class. At the end the instructor will say something like, 'Note that these guys use their training well, they have courage, they run TO the gunfire. If you are not sure you can do that, please don't come back after lunch break.' I know that may sound harsh, but Uvalde made us here all sick, so I think harsh is needed.
    I'm not sure that's the way to do it, because in reality you'll never know until you actually have to face the situation. Probably fewer would select-out after that admonition than if you hadn't said such a thing. Aside from that, what agency is going to allow officers to say 'I'll do anything but this....'

Early on when I was running f on f with just the benefit of the Simunitions factory training, I designed scenarios where if the officer hesitated or didn't do things the wasy they were taught, they would get hammered. At the time our academy didn't require successful completion of f on f/scenario training as a graduation requirement because it wasn't in the state administrative regulations governing law enforcement training - it is now. With that in mind I hoped that the officers who performed poorly would realise they weren't prepared and quit. They never did.

Thankfully, I got ahold of a book Training at the Speed of Life and began to understand how to run effective scenario training. One of things that helps when training the masses is to remove as much 'you gotta be tough' or 'Tier One' and focus on teaching tactics as a professional response to a situation which they may encounter.

YMMV.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    hat I was already conducting force-on-force training before I read "Training at the Speed of Life". I was dubious when I first read it and felt some of the protocols were excessive. The longer I did force-on-force training, the more I adhered to the procedures in the book. It pays to read that book.

Vending Machine Operator
    Just watched the video last night and read through this. It's already been said better than I can. These guys were the anti-Uvalde. Couldn't have been more decisive and courageous. Honor on all of them.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    3:25 from Officer Engelbert’s arrival to when he engaged the killer. That’s pretty damn good considering they spent about three minutes of that clearing the first floor because they had no stimulus or other clues to where the killer might be. The moment they heard shots, they all ran upstairs and it was over seconds later. No hesitation.

Regarding equipment, there are a couple of different configurations of ARs on scene in the videos. Does anyone know if Metro Nashville allows personally owned rifles? Officer Engelbert had a solidly set up gun: Vortex Razor in what looks like a Scalarworks 1.93” mount with an offset red dot (not clear in the videos but based on the way he held the rifle and the hole in the center of the Scalarworks mount not being visible because that’s how the offset red dot is attached). The other guys with ARs looked like they had standard RDS optics.
    It was definitely one of the newer Scalarworks mount with the improved, beefed up hinge.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Outstanding Job Officers. Textbook work under extremely difficult circumstances.

I would remark on one thing.

People use the term "Searching" to describe their tactics. I would say that they were "Hunting" which in my opinion was exactly the right thing to do.

And there is a difference between the two.
    I called it, find the mad dog and kill it.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Site Supporter

Amazing Kid (Young Police Officer)

“Stop Resisting!”

Site Supporter

Embedded for ease of watching.

Detective Sergeant: "Not knowing what was I walking into, I went through that door with a purpose."

Wonder if those guys volunteered for those interviews or were voluntold to do those interviews. Either way, well done brothers, well done.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List