Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: History of AR popularity

Site Supporter

History of AR popularity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ture-politics/

From the Washington Post, while obviously not a friend to the cause, it is still an interesting read with figures and marketing discussions. Not particularly friendly to Trump who is an anti but changes actions for venial election issues.

Expect a continuing of state AWBs unless (hear me clouds) ....
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

post-9/11 military action (war was back in the news) + AWB sunsetting (forbidden fruit) + relatively inexpensive ammo (at the time) = popularity of AR15 today
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

I've seen some discussion of that article on Twitter between left of center persons who feel that a greater reason than marketing for the explosion in popularity of the AR was the AWB itself, which made it a cause celeb for millions of gun owners that hadn't otherwise been that interested in one. In a sense, a classic unintended consequence of creating the perception of a prohibition.

I didn't own one until I started with a post ban rifle then upgraded to Noveskes and LMTs once it sunsetted. I think their theory applied to me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Every time there's a looming threat of a ban, there's a massive run on those products. Guns, magazines, whatever. We've seen that happen repeatedly at a state and a national level. Not a lot of mystery there.

Aside from GWOT and the AWB sunset, the prevalence of M4-ish weapons in video games and movies have certainly influenced a lot of guys to buy one and often ended up as one of 'our tribe' as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    the prevalence of M4-ish weapons in video games and movies have certainly influenced a lot of guys to buy one and often ended up as one of 'our tribe' as a result.
    when I ran a local carbine match for several years, we got the most number of new shooters in the form of young guys that came from videogames and airsoft that were finally able to buy the things they had spent their youth fetishizing.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Bushamster making the AR generic and the '94 AWB is also a factor.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I had carried an M16A1 in the Infantry and had zero interest in them...until the AWB.
    I bought one the day it passed. Not because I wanted one, or thought it was an investment.
    Just because...

Pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I had carried an M16A1 in the Infantry and had zero interest in them...until the AWB.
    I bought one the day it passed. Not because I wanted one, or thought it was an investment.
    Just because...

Pure and simple.
    I thought I was good owning 1 AR. Then as the world changed I acquired 6 more and a cache of stripped lowers. I still have my eye on a few more.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've seen some discussion of that article on Twitter between left of center persons who feel that a greater reason than marketing for the explosion in popularity of the AR was the AWB itself, which made it a cause celeb for millions of gun owners that hadn't otherwise been that interested in one. In a sense, a classic unintended consequence of creating the perception of a prohibition.

I didn't own one until I started with a post ban rifle then upgraded to Noveskes and LMTs once it sunsetted. I think their theory applied to me.
    Ditto.

A perspicacious friend bought me a stripped lower in 1999 during one of the runs-up to further restrictions in CA. I had no interest and sold it in WA state in 2003. Never liked them much, always thought other exotics were cooler, never really had ready cash for any of them, especially during the 94-2004 AWB.

After 2012 something changed in the world, and in me. Then I moved to a relatively free state, and the die was cast. Started building a KISS carbine in 2017. After the local riots of 2020 and all the foolishness since, there's no way I'd not have one.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List