Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: History of AR popularity

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Heh. My first "real" gun(IE I bought myself) was a Mosin. My dads was an SKS. My Grandfathers was an M1 Carbine. All bought for the same reasons. They were cheap and ammo was cheap. I'm the only one who has had mine long enough for it to not still be cheap. Dad had his SKS stolen in a home burglary, Grandpa traded the carbine for a hound, then traded the hound for a Lee-Enfield and a case of ammo. Then shot all the ammo to see if he could cut a tree down with it. Then traded the Enfield for a hound.
    Don't leave us hanging - did the tree fall?
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

I recall shooting a friend's AR-15 in the 1970's and being very impressed by the ergonomics and sights, as in 'Wow! that's really easy to shoot! Sure looks weird, though...'. And IIRC it was really expensive relative to a Remington 700 or Marlin 336 or whatever (but I may be wrong, corrections welcome).

My sense is that they would still be popular today with or without an AWB. The cost has come down, you can do the modular thing, you can have the same lower with Geissele trigger for multiple uppers, a barrel swap doesn't need a trip to the gunsmith, yadda, yadda, yadda. Cars don't have naugahyde seats anymore. As people gradually got used to them, and folks came out of the military familiar with them, I think they were going to take over regardless of the politics.

User Tag List