Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: History of AR popularity

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Was that in PNG or in the States?

A shop I frequented in Flag had quite a variety of mil style rifles in, Steyr AUG, Valmets (regular and the heavy long barrel version), AKs, FNs, H-K, M1A, Daewoo, AR180, about anything available seemed to turn up in at least limited quantities. He also had all manner of .mil bolt guns and early semi auto stuff like M1s, M1 carbines, sks, some of the FN 49s, among others. He also had stuff like a Winchester Hotchkiss bolt action 45-70 and other cool old stuff. I sure miss that shop...
    USA. There was a Shoot Straight store in Apopka that had cool stuff like Valmets and HK's, but not the common, run of the mill Central Florida gunshop.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The US was awash with SKS carbines 30 years ago. So was cheap ammo. I know a guy (I assume he's a guy) who bought an SKS and a crate of ammo. At the time I thought he was a fool. He still has it.
    In the 90s a local farm and ranch supply store that sold guns had a case of Russian sks rifles on the floor. I commented to the guy about them getting a case in instead of just a couple in the racks, he looked at me and said "Weve sold over 600 of them". I think they were $125 at the time.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

In the 90s a local farm and ranch supply store that sold guns had a case of Russian sks rifles on the floor. I commented to the guy about them getting a case in instead of just a couple in the racks, he looked at me and said "Weve sold over 600 of them". I think they were $125 at the time.
    That's about what I remember. Less than 200 bucks. My thinking at the time was why would anyone buy a POS like that. I guess a lot of people liked their POS.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

That's about what I remember. Less than 200 bucks. My thinking at the time was why would anyone buy a POS like that. I guess a lot of people liked their POS.
    I had one of the brand new commercial chinese sks that came in before the tidal wave or surplus sks's hit. I managed a 7/8" 3 shot group off the hood of the truck with chinese steel core ammo once. That was fun and satisfying. I rather like the sks rifles and wouldnt mind having a clean example. One of the few things thats still relatively cheap to shoot.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I rather like the sks rifles and wouldnt mind having a clean example.
    Use tour Cabella's Bucks:

Russian - $1200 - https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101265529

NORINCO - $800 - https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101251045
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Use tour Cabella's Bucks:

Russian - $1200 - https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101265529

NORINCO - $800 - https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/101251045

Ive watched them a few times on GB to see what they were trending. Decent ones (non yugo or whatever the non-chrome bore with the muzzle monstrosity/blasphemy things are) can be had around $600-ish if one is patient, but that sort of thing just isnt on my budget radar. I tend to look at stuff like that and think "for that much i could get a Ruger 77 tang safety or whatever, or be some percentage towards a Browning B78 6mm". I then think that if AR prices went up again Id likely dump the AR and get a B78.

Back to reality, I think ill be pretty well occupied with 22s and the Ruger 77 6mm project gun once I get back to more normal life again.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My dad inherited a little money in the early 80s and decided to pick up an 03A3. While he was at the shop picking it up, he saw a Sendra AR-15, which I believe was their lower built with a Colt parts kit into what was basically an SP1.

As a 14 year old, I had a little gun rack in my bedroom and the Sendra, 03A3, and a Winchester 69A 22LR bolt action sat in it. Friends would come over and wanted to see the "machine gun"

I've always owned an AR in one form or another ever since. Back then you would go to the range and people would stare at the black rifle but now, almost everyone has one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    The wave of $125 SKS rifles led San Antonio to pass a local ordinance banning rifles in cars. This was because it was becoming a weapon of choice for gangs and they wanted a tool to bust the members when one was found in a car stop. It was TX unconstitutional but SAPD said they would ignore that nuance. Then the OC rifle folks marched around town in San Antonio and an embedded town - Alamo Heights to challenge the law. That broke the policy. However, the OC rifle guys almost sunk campus carry and handgun OC.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    The US was awash with SKS carbines 30 years ago. So was cheap ammo. I know a guy (I assume he's a guy) who bought an SKS and a crate of ammo. At the time I thought he was a fool. He still has it.
    Yeah I never thought I'd see the day when a good AK costs more than a good AR.

My first "real" gun (bigger than a .22) was a Chinese SKS. I wish I still had it. Not that I'd ever shoot it. Just wish I still had it.

Site Supporter
    I recall lots of 308 Saigas for about $250 new. Didn't pull the trigger. Should have.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List