Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Nashville Church School Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Push the right buttons and we're all capable of anything. Justify it to ourselves often enough and we'll believe we were right, or at the least,"It wasn't really who I am." Everything from crucified slaves along the Apian away, herding jews into boxcars, or lynching blacks in the town square. We'll laugh about it, take photos of if and in later years we'll excuse it as, "a different time".

As a species we're gullible, malleable, lazy and totally our own worst enemy.
    Orwell once wrote an essay entitled "Shooting an Elephant" about a being a police officer in Burma peer-pressured by the crowd into... well.. the title.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Still no word on the so-called manifesto?
    The news I have seen indicates that it will be released after the FBI psychiatrists have had a chance to digest it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    The news I have seen indicates that it will be released after the FBI psychiatrists have had a chance to digest it.
    Gotcha.

Starting to feel the longer they wait though, the more people are going to accuse them of completely fabricating what they release when they do if it doesn't fit their preconceived notions of what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I was reading that one little girl was starting to lead her class out because Hale pulled the fire alarm. She didn't make it back into the class. She was the designated leader.

Another story, she pulled the alarm.

Fog of war and there's been discussion of folks pulling fire alarms thinking it is the right thing to do or killer pulling the alarm to lead victims into a shooting zone.

The governor's wife best friend was one killed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Still no word on the so-called manifesto?
    The media is reporting numerous things that are totally incorrect. I’ll leave it that.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    The media is reporting numerous things that are totally incorrect. I’ll leave it that.
    What? C'mon...you expect us to believe that?

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Push the right buttons and we're all capable of anything. Justify it to ourselves often enough and we'll believe we were right, or at the least,"It wasn't really who I am." Everything from crucified slaves along the Apian away, herding jews into boxcars, or lynching blacks in the town square. We'll laugh about it, take photos of if and in later years we'll excuse it as, "a different time".

As a species we're gullible, malleable, lazy and totally our own worst enemy.
    A great quote from an outstanding Christian author and researcher that my brother tipped me off to is:

"So I ask my students, if our lives had turned out differently, if we had never become Christians, if we had been born in a different society or at a different time, could we have been a guard in Auschwitz or in a Soviet gulag? There really is only one honest answer, and like it or not, we were all born Auschwitz-enabled."

That's one snippet from https://www.biola.edu/blogs/biola-ma...-grave-reality , and many will skip the meat of his thesis because of his openly Christian world view, but the article is worth your time. He did his homework on history before coming to this conclusion.

Site Supporter
    Anyone who took Psych 101 had the Milgram and Zimbardo conformity studies run by them. There is a debate about their validity nowadays but reading testimony from German and Russian soldiers in the urban battles on the Eastern Front, the Japanese soldiers in China - we know most are capable of horror.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    A great quote from an outstanding Christian author and researcher that my brother tipped me off to is:

"So I ask my students, if our lives had turned out differently, if we had never become Christians, if we had been born in a different society or at a different time, could we have been a guard in Auschwitz or in a Soviet gulag? There really is only one honest answer, and like it or not, we were all born Auschwitz-enabled."

That's one snippet from https://www.biola.edu/blogs/biola-ma...-grave-reality , and many will skip the meat of his thesis because of his openly Christian world view, but the article is worth your time. He did his homework on history before coming to this conclusion.
    As a Christian, I would caution against the idea that my faith immunizes me from being capable of monstrosity.

There were plenty of German Lutherans who participated as Nazi soldiers after all.

My faith enables me to decide I will not participate in monstrosity and take solace within my faith as I am excluded from my friend group, cast out of society, imprisoned, tortured or executed for doing what I feel is right.

The real question is, do I have the huevos to allow those things to happen to me? Or would I just go along with the crowd?

The fact thay so many Christians have allowed themselves to indulge in their most evil impulses truly does lend credence to the notion that it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than for a wealthy person to inherit the kingdom of God.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    As a Christian, I would caution against the idea that my faith immunizes me from being capable of monstrosity.

There were plenty of German Lutherans who participated as Nazi soldiers after all.

My faith enables me to decide I will not participate in monstrosity and take solace within my faith as I am excluded from my friend group, cast out of society, imprisoned, tortured or executed for doing what I feel is right.

The real question is, do I have the huevos to allow those things to happen to me? Or would I just go along with the crowd?

The fact thay so many Christians have allowed themselves to indulge in their most evil impulses truly does lend credence to the notion that it is easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than for a wealthy person to inherit the kingdom of God.

Very well explained.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post

Keep in mind theres a very prolific influencing structure thats actively painting anyone that disagrees with the "good guys" political opinions as evil, hating our country, hating everything you love, wanting to destroy our country, and in the end demonize and dehumanize those that disagree with them. Once demonized and dehumanized, pretty much anything is possible, after all, they are the enemy. You have to save everything you love in life.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List