Thread: Offset Red Dot Brightness Controls on AR-15

Offset Red Dot Brightness Controls on AR-15

I have a 16" AR setup with a Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6 in a Warne X-Skel mount, and I'm contemplating setting up an offset red dot for T&E to see if I would like it. It seems like going with the lightest weight dot optic would make the most sense as the Razor + Warne mount is already around 28 oz on the rifle. This means an open emitter dot most likely with an RMR footprint would be the logical choice. One thing that I haven't seen addressed in any research is the fact that the controls for brightness are on the side of the optic, and with the optic offset from the scope pretty closely, are these controls actually accessible? This seems to be an even more prominent issue on the Arisaka mount that allows the optic to cant at 35 degrees. It seems to make more sense to me to go with a T1 footprint optic that has buttons on the top or right side, but even though those are relatively light weight, they are more than twice the weight of the minature open emitter optics. I'm sure there are many shooters here running an offset dot that can tell me if this is a non-issue or something easily worked around.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    I have a 16" AR setup with a Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6 in a Warne X-Skel mount, and I'm contemplating setting up an offset red dot for T&E to see if I would like it. It seems like going with the lightest weight dot optic would make the most sense as the Razor + Warne mount is already around 28 oz on the rifle. This means an open emitter dot most likely with an RMR footprint would be the logical choice. One thing that I haven't seen addressed in any research is the fact that the controls for brightness are on the side of the optic, and with the optic offset from the scope pretty closely, are these controls actually accessible? This seems to be an even more prominent issue on the Arisaka mount that allows the optic to cant at 35 degrees. It seems to make more sense to me to go with a T1 footprint optic that has buttons on the top or right side, but even though those are relatively light weight, they are more than twice the weight of the minature open emitter optics. I'm sure there are many shooters here running an offset dot that can tell me if this is a non-issue or something easily worked around.
    Some of the T1 style armpoints or holosins won't have this issue

Mounts will probably play the biggest part here. My LPVOs are in Badger C1s and while the 35* offset has the 507 tucked in closely, the controls are accessible. It’s not enough space for an “on the fly” adjustment though, it takes a little bit of effort, but that’s also because it’s the small button model and wrapped in Ranger Wrap which shrouds the buttons slightly.

That said, I’m becoming more of a fan of 12:00 mounted RDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Mounts will probably play the biggest part here. My LPVOs are in Badger C1s and while the 35* offset has the 507 tucked in closely, the controls are accessible. It’s not enough space for an “on the fly” adjustment though, it takes a little bit of effort, but that’s also because it’s the small button model and wrapped in Ranger Wrap which shrouds the buttons slightly.

That said, I’m becoming more of a fan of 12:00 mounted RDS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's very helpful, I figured it had to be at least possible to get to the buttons for so many people to tolerate it as it's a pretty common setup. I'm looking at the 35 degree Arisaka mount for this. I'm torn between the 507c or giving up a couple of more oz and running the the Holosun 403c. For the extra weight I get an enclosed optic, solar, lower cost, and buttons on the right side of the optic. Holosun's website says the HS403C weighs 2.8 oz, and I'm assuming that's without the included mount. Less than a real T1/T2, smaller footprint because of button operation, and should be durable enough for this application.

Site Supporter
    If you’re running a Razor 1-6, arguably the most visible dot of any LPVO, why the need for an offset red dot?

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    If you’re running a Razor 1-6, arguably the most visible dot of any LPVO, why the need for an offset red dot?
    That's an ongoing discussion and hot topic right now. Here are my perceived benefits so far:
    1. The offest is a fast non-magnified solution when cranked up to 6x. Running drills with my training group, sometimes I feel like I don't have time to dick with the throw lever after having to move from a distance shot.
    2. The offset works better shooting left side (I'm a right handed shooter) barricades without switching shoulders.
    3. Shooting on the move to the left is easier with the offset.
    4. You can get the rifle lower over a vehicle or lower to the ground if needed with the offset.
    5. Offset dots are comparable in weight to iron sights, even if you go with a T1/T2 style optic. The Sig Romeo 5 I'm going with weighs 3.5 oz, and I'm going with the Badger Ordnance C1 mount. The scope mount is 6.5 oz, and the j-arm and micro plate that go with it weigh less than an ounce for each piece.
    6. The battery life of the Razor's dot is measured in days, the offset is measured in years. I have left it on by accident a few times after a range trip and found it dead.
    7. The 2 optics complement and backup each other. If the offset red dot goes tits up I still have one of the best LPVO 1x there is to rely on. If I didn't have time to turn on the Vortex fiber dot, the offset dot is on. In the highly unlikely scenario the fiber wire reticle in the Razor comes lose, the offset is there. I let someone shoot the rifle and they put it up with the scope at 6x, the offset is there until I put it back at 1x. Rifle hits the deck on the throw lever and I have to pick it up and shoot, the offset is there. All for an added 4 oz.
    There are more reasons other shooters have come up with. If you think I've gone off the deep end, check out the dudes running Eotechs with offset dots. That's becoming more and more common.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 04-12-2023 at 11:36 PM.

User Tag List