Thread: It was bound to happen...(stuck RMR)

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

It was bound to happen...(stuck RMR)

"If it's predictable, it's preventable," is one of my favorite sayings. And I always thought that some day I was bound to get an RMR stuck on the slide when the screwhead stripped out. It finally happened because A) it was never a good design, having to remove the optic to change the battery, and B) I had used an allen screw instead of Torx, against my better judgment (so that's on me). Fortunately I was able to drill it out with no damage to the optic or slide.

Of course the RMR wasn't originally designed for pistols, and Trijicon corrected this with the SRO. But this just cements my suspicion that the RMR is no longer king of the hill. An ACRO (or in my case, Steiner MPS) has a better mounting system, accessible battery, and let's you use normal height sights if you have a milled slide. Heck Swampfox uses the RMR footprint but has a top-mount battery.

No real point to this. Just Monday morning rambling.

Name:  IMG_4625jpg.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  58.2 KB

It is pointless, silly, and unfair to bemoan the RMR for what it was but it is completely justified to crucify the RMR for what it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    "If it's predictable, it's preventable," is one of my favorite sayings. And I always thought that some day I was bound to get an RMR stuck on the slide when the screwhead stripped out. It finally happened because A) it was never a good design, having to remove the optic to change the battery, and B) I had used an allen screw instead of Torx, against my better judgment (so that's on me). Fortunately I was able to drill it out with no damage to the optic or slide.

Of course the RMR wasn't originally designed for pistols, and Trijicon corrected this with the SRO. But this just cements my suspicion that the RMR is no longer king of the hill. An ACRO (or in my case, Steiner MPS) has a better mounting system, accessible battery, and let's you use normal height sights if you have a milled slide. Heck Swampfox uses the RMR footprint but has a top-mount battery.

I totally would have fucked that up and would be buying a new slide right now
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post

Looks like you tried a torch and Vampliers?

No torch, that’s just what’s left of the screw after drilling the head off.

Site Supporter
    I belong to the same club. That's why I don't own any RMR's now.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    I belong to the same club. That's why I don't own any RMR's now.
    I wouldn't buy another at this point. But I'll still use this one. It's perfectly sighted in and stone cold reliable. So reliable, in fact, it doesn't even want to leave the gun.

User Tag List