Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Men’s shorts suitable for 20 mile hike

RFI: Men’s shorts suitable for 20 mile hike

So…..I’ve been training for a Mammoth March and it’s coming up fast.

https://www.mammothmarch.com/

I’ve been training for a while (because F Covid 19 double pneumonia and two hospitalizations) and have been doing my distance hiking in 5.11 Stryke pants. I’m thinking they are going to be too hot/heavy for a spring event in Alabama.

Recommendations for something lightweight and chafe free would be greatly appreciated. Cargo shorts that are just above the knee typically start chafing my thighs on long treks.

Only thing I’m carrying is a compass, phone (as long as it’s not raining), SAK, map, and mini Bic. All of this is going in my Camelbak storage pocket so belt-less options are fine. Leaving the guns behind on this event as ounces make pounds. Last week, I did 14 miles with a couple of thousand feet of elevation change in 5:05 so my pace is on point. The pistol and extra mag I had on really started to be noticed at the 8 mile mark so I’m ditching those for the event.

Price is no concern.

I’m 6’1” 235 and 53 years old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards.

At the risk of getting overly anatomical on a family blog, what part is chafing?

At times in hot weather certain parts hang lower and can chafe (for me) regardless of the pants/shorts unless they are gym shorts with a liner or I wear something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DDGYCSQ

to keep things where they won't chafe.

YMMV, of course, depending on your particular body.

+

compression short underwear that's long enough to cover whatever area is chaffing

Just be sure to clean up and change into dry clothes immediately after training (if you're at a trailhead miles from a shower, a rubbing alcohol & washcloth spongebath works great)

Site Supporter
    Ziploc bag for phone. Quart freezer bag if you have a big phone.
    If you are running with Bluetooth headphones, you should be able to work the screen through the plastic.
    Been through a few rains on the bicycle and haven’t lost a phone..... Yet

Have you considered cycling shorts under whatever shorts you hike in?
    Breathable, long and stay in place.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I wouldn’t be afraid of quality pants. Light weight wrangler cargo style pants are rather comfy, and I have hiked in that style of pants a lot. In pretty cool weather, and in weather that was over 100 degrees. These were not quick hikes either.

Plus when I work outside in the summer, no matter how hot, I always use pants vs shorts. Pants just give you more versatility in my opinion.

Of course I’m the odd ball who goes to the gym and squats 300+ pounds in cowboy boots and blue jeans.

If I had to use shorts, then I like Magellan shorts from academy. They make some that are comfortable and useful. Good pockets, and you can use a belt with them. They are also not restrictive. I’m pretty sure it’s what I wear when I would do my 200 pound (I think?) tire flips on the pavement, in 90+ degree weather.

You know way more about carrying guns than I do, but a lightweight gun shouldn’t make too much difference. Even an LCP beats nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    So…..I’ve been training for a Mammoth March and it’s coming up fast.

https://www.mammothmarch.com/

I’ve been training for a while (because F Covid 19 double pneumonia and two hospitalizations) and have been doing my distance hiking in 5.11 Stryke pants. I’m thinking they are going to be too hot/heavy for a spring event in Alabama.

Recommendations for something lightweight and chafe free would be greatly appreciated. Cargo shorts that are just above the knee typically start chafing my thighs on long treks.

Only thing I’m carrying is a compass, phone (as long as it’s not raining), SAK, map, and mini Bic. All of this is going in my Camelbak storage pocket so belt-less options are fine. Leaving the guns behind on this event as ounces make pounds. Last week, I did 14 miles with a couple of thousand feet of elevation change in 5:05 so my pace is on point. The pistol and extra mag I had on really started to be noticed at the 8 mile mark so I’m ditching those for the event.

Price is no concern.

I’m 6’1” 235 and 53 years old.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards.
    Kuhl Renegade shorts. If you are an REI member they have them. I’ll be wearing them to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in May.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    At the risk of getting overly anatomical on a family blog, what part is chafing?

At times in hot weather certain parts hang lower and can chafe (for me) regardless of the pants/shorts unless they are gym shorts with a liner or I wear something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DDGYCSQ

to keep things where they won't chafe.

YMMV, of course, depending on your particular body.
    Inner thighs wherever the hem of shorts hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Kuhl Renegade shorts. If you are an REI member they have them. I’ll be wearing them to the bottom of the Grand Canyon in May.
    Kuhls are added to the list to try on.

I have a REI, 5.11, Academy, Cabelas, etc here in town.

Keep them coming.

Site Supporter
    I don't think I have any shorts that aren't Kuhl's ( other than board/gym shorts ). I would look at their options.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I can't believe NO ONE has posted these yet..... (don't know where you can get them though)

Name:  FDGU0z0XEAc08Ng.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  83.2 KB

These might fit the bill on the comfort front (and pay homage to the MEN who rocked the short shorts).

User Tag List