Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EDC article in the WSJ

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Never heard of such a thing (compensated). Are they all that? At $87 its not cheap but not crazy. Totally intrigued.
    Yes, intrigued. I can see Russia and/or China deciding that the world does not really need GPS satellites, or, a solar flare deciding to act frisky. A custom-compensated compass, set for my ZIP code, may have limited usefulness when far from home, but, I am usually near home, so, yes, it would be nice to be able to instantly know true north, at a glance.

Edited to add: I do keep a decent magnetic compass in the truck, and another at home.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    A nuance, what is the EDC when you just sit around the house. To me - a small gun, small Spyderco and flashlight. What has been used. The knife for attacking the wave of packages coming to the door. The flashlight to find things or the lights out. Yesterday we had several power outages with extreme winds. House was in total darkness. So the flashlight comes in useful. Don't carry the cell phone around the house though. It stays on my desk.

Everyday EDC, saw an article somewhere that says: Something that goes bang, something that cuts, something that lights, something medical. I do that. I've avoided the EDC multitool, feel guilty about that. I do have them in the car and have use it plenty. Lots of first aid stuff - which was useful when I cut my finger the other day.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Most compasses are not compensated for declination. TruNord is based on your zip code, or you may specify your longitude of deployed location in A-Stan or where ever. They can also recorrect to home when you return.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Most compasses are not compensated for declination.
    For going from true to magnetic: "East is least and West is best." "Compass to True, Add East."

For figuring courses to fly or sail: "True Virgins Make Dull Companions" (True course, plus/minus deviation = magnetic course plus/minus deviation = compass course)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Article caters to metrosexual office nerds who as adolescents argued over whether a lubricated or unlubricated condom was best in the wallet and today they want to brag about the most expensive, trendy McGiver gadget they rarely use.

I would be more interested in what off duty and retired cops really carry today, how EDC varies in a rural vs. suburban area and how to deal with EDC in a nonpermissive environment where you may get wanded.

I live in a rural area. A True Nord compensated compass is on my watch band. Key ring has Maratec Ti widgy bar, handcuff key, whistle, single AAA Maratec personal LED illuminator, Mil-K-818 removable from flatgate snap link. Leatherman Super Tool on belt. Colt DS in El Paso Saddlery C-force IWB holster. Two Tuff Strips in back pockets.
    Darryl Bolke(DaggaBoy) who has posted here extensively, and Claude Werner(aka Head Hunter) are both deeper into the thinking on the off duty/civilian CCW subject than just about anyone else.
    Bolke is a retired cop who coined the term "The snubby lifestyle" about mindset adjustments upon retirement or when you live in really quiet areas. Werner was career military and then had a second career in an office setting with a business dress code. He also grew up in 1970s Chicago carrying a gun-a very non permissive environment as the hoi polloi weren't granted that privilege.. This shaped a lot of his thinking on NPE carry. He's also very snub-centric. He has a blog The Tactical Professor. LuckyGunner's interview with Werner is what set off their series on Pocket Pistols.
    There are a couple of Primary and Secondary podcasts where they were guests on that subject that are worth watching.
    Last edited by feudist; 03-27-2023 at 12:20 PM.

Most compasses are not compensated for declination. TruNord is based on your zip code, or you may specify your longitude of deployed location in A-Stan or where ever. They can also recorrect to home when you return.
    I don't trust any wristband compass for anything more than general direction.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List