Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC article in the WSJ

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    No flashlights?
    I’m with you. If I need to write something, I can borrow a pen. Hell, I can borrow the price of a latte—or even improvise something pokey or smacky. But if it’s dark, and I need to look at something…?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’m with you. If I need to write something, I can borrow a pen. Hell, I can borrow the price of a latte—or even improvise something pokey or smacky. But if it’s dark, and I need to look at something…?
    But I'm the weird guy who always carries a flashlight...

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    But I'm the weird guy who always carries a flashlight...
    "Why are you carrying a flashlight?"

"Uh...to see in the dark?"

Site Supporter
    Having worked on cars or Army vehicles for so much of my life, carrying a flashlight was always explained by 'I'm a mechanic, got used to always having a flashlight' which got the response of 'Oh' every single time.

Article caters to metrosexual office nerds who as adolescents argued over whether a lubricated or unlubricated condom was best in the wallet and today they want to brag about the most expensive, trendy McGiver gadget they rarely use.

I would be more interested in what off duty and retired cops really carry today, how EDC varies in a rural vs. suburban area and how to deal with EDC in a nonpermissive environment where you may get wanded.

I live in a rural area. A True Nord compensated compass is on my watch band. Key ring has Maratec Ti widgy bar, handcuff key, whistle, single AAA Maratec personal LED illuminator, Mil-K-818 removable from flatgate snap link. Leatherman Super Tool on belt. Colt DS in El Paso Saddlery C-force IWB holster. Two Tuff Strips in back pockets.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-26-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    ...you pull out your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

I would be more interested in what off duty and retired cops really carry today, how EDC varies in a rural vs. suburban area and how to deal with EDC in a nonpermissive environment where you may get wanded.

I live in a rural area. A True Nord compensated compass is on my watch band. Key ring has Maratec Ti widgy bar, handcuff key, whistle, single AAA Maratec personal LED illuminator, Mil-K-818 removable from flatgate snap link. Leatherman Super Tool on belt. Colt DS in El Paso Saddlery C-force IWB holster. Two Tuff Strips in back pockets.
    This is an excellent idea and would make a very informative thread. Maybe you or the mods can start a fresh one with above as first post maybe titled something like "What off-duty and retired cops really EDC"? Appreciate the post. Will watch with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    ...you pull out your phone.
    …Until ones needs to actually use a phone and a light at the same moment in time.

Or, one needs to collect a DNA sample, while using a light.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

The rotating lanyard attachment of some hand-held lights doubles as something akin to a fidget spinner, a nice bonus.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I live in a rural area. A True Nord compensated compass is on my watch band.
    Never heard of such a thing (compensated). Are they all that? At $87 its not cheap but not crazy. Totally intrigued.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List