Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA concealment… belt clips showing?

IDPA concealment… belt clips showing?

Name:  ADB1595B-39B2-453C-B4CD-2D6B089BCDAD.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  73.1 KB

They say “all” gear to be hidden… but does that include belt clips as part of the “all?”

I would assume yes, but I don’t know if this is one of those things that is an accepted grey area.

Like the “trigger shoe” thing that apparently only applies to add on trigger covers and not to Glock shoes or replacement trigger levers.

So for those in IDPA, would this be allowed at a sanctioned match?

Name:  1E49BAE7-0E36-4B56-B0F7-C8A7C49DBF49.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  55.7 KB

(Basically can I show belt clips if I tuck?)

@Les Pepperoni

I've been shooting IDPA for 10 years, and wish I could help you, but I don't know the answer to your question.

You might call your IDPA Area Coordinator, but chances are at least 50% he won't know the answer, either.

Perhaps check with IDPA headquarters. But then you rick the chance of getting one opinion from your Area Coordinator and a different opinion from IDPA Headquarters.

And even if you do get a definitive answer, the rules (or the interpretation of them) will most likely change before the next sanctioned match in your area is held.

But I could be wrong . . . . . anyone have Joyce Wilson's phone number?

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I've been shooting IDPA for 10 years, and wish I could help you, but I don't know the answer to your question.

You might call your IDPA Area Coordinator, but chances are at least 50% he won't know the answer, either.

Perhaps check with IDPA headquarters. But then you rick the chance of getting one opinion from your Area Coordinator and a different opinion from IDPA Headquarters.

And even if you do get a definitive answer, the rules (or the interpretation of them) will most likely change before the next sanctioned match in your area is held.

But I could be wrong . . . . . anyone have Joyce Wilson's phone number?
    I like that the IDPA website basically says: Don't bother us with rules questions, ask someone else. We don't care whom and we don't care if it's consistent. Did I mention, don't bother us?

HQ will most likely refer you to the AC. If your AC does not agree with my AC, too bad.

I suggest an empirical approach. Show up with your clips bared and if the MD says anything, cover them up.

I know the imprecision of IDPA is an annoyance, but it is a lot less obvious on the range than it is on the Internet, where you can find many USPSA jocks and True Tacticians ready to tell you what you are doing wrong.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Name:  ADB1595B-39B2-453C-B4CD-2D6B089BCDAD.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  73.1 KB
    They say “all” gear to be hidden… but does that include belt clips as part of the “all?”
    I spent a good part of my professional career carefully parsing the language in "Requirements" and based on what you've posted, I'd interpret "all of the holster" to include the clips that holds the holster on the belt. So, in your case, I would expect you'd need to hide the clips somehow.

I've never shot an IDPA match but there is a large gun club near me which hosts regular IDPA matches; the nearest USPSA option for me is over an hour away. It's been on my mind to go check out an IDPA match sometime, so I'm curious what Les's answer is, as I have a similar setup (AIWB).

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I spent a good part of my professional career carefully parsing the language in "Requirements" and based on what you've posted, I'd interpret "all of the holster" to include the clips that holds the holster on the belt. So, in your case, I would expect you'd need to hide the clips somehow.

I've never shot an IDPA match but there is a large gun club near me which hosts regular IDPA matches; the nearest USPSA option for me is over an hour away. It's been on my mind to go check out an IDPA match sometime, so I'm curious what Les's answer is, as I have a similar setup (AIWB).
    I would interpret it the same way as you! But belt clips exposed and shirt tucked in is my usual actual EDC carry method (and I'm not alone in this), so I wonder if they have a provision with a narrower definition of the holster and pouch being the non-clip part. I sent a message to the AC and will see what he says.

There are behind the belt clip options that I can employ (Ulti-clips) and underhooks as well as the velcro backed ones, but they're a little more of a PITA to get holster on and off... if I don't have to do so, then I'd prefer not to for ease of use.

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it...

Concealment pants!

One of my favorite belts is the Mastermind Covert and I've been carrying a clinch pick on that.

It hides INSIDE the whole pants....

Something like an elastic pant cover for the belt pants...

Think running shorts over cargo shorts...

So for those in IDPA, would this be allowed at a sanctioned match?
    I'm going with no

I would interpret it the same way as you! But belt clips exposed and shirt tucked in is my usual actual EDC carry method (and I'm not alone in this), so I wonder if they have a provision with a narrower definition of the holster and pouch being the non-clip part. I sent a message to the AC and will see what he says.

There are behind the belt clip options that I can employ (Ulti-clips) and underhooks as well as the velcro backed ones, but they're a little more of a PITA to get holster on and off... if I don't have to do so, then I'd prefer not to for ease of use.

Actually, now that I'm thinking of it...

Concealment pants!

One of my favorite belts is the Mastermind Covert and I've been carrying a clinch pick on that.

It hides INSIDE the whole pants....

Something like an elastic pant cover for the belt pants...

Think running shorts over cargo shorts...
    Have you considered trying the Phlster Enigma? Not necessarily just for IDPA, but for EDC those clips are a huge give away and look like they protrude enough to cause some printing even if you were using the Mastermind Covert. The Enigma would give you the same advantage, but it also completely removes the necessity for clips which really slims down the whole package.

If you do decide to try it, order the sport belt with it. It is "optional" but I think it really helps with comfort and concealment.

Given how unexcited the IDPA leadership was about AIWB, if I showed up with an Enigma they’d probably have a stroke.

(Just kiddin’ fellers )

Heard back from AC

As long as you pistol, holster and magazine are fully concealed the clips don’t matter. Don’t hesitate to contact if you have further questions. Thanks

User Tag List