Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deputy charged with reckless homicide for shooting, implies gun is to blame

Deputy charged with reckless homicide for shooting, implies gun is to blame

Watch the video at top of article. Gun is only identified as Sig, but says there are other instances with this model.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news...ibextid=Zxz2cZ

This is 2 counties south of me.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Striking the window with a baton while holding a gun. Sounds like sympathetic reflex to me. Have they released video?

I’d forgotten about that one, there wasn’t much coverage locally.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’d forgotten about that one, there wasn’t much coverage locally.
    I hadn’t heard of it til I saw TDI’s book face post about it.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Striking the window with a baton while holding a gun. Sounds like sympathetic reflex to me. Have they released video?
    Occam's Razor.
    I witnessed a sympathetic discharge on a buy-bust. The officer had approached the guy with his revolver out and when he tried to runnoft the officer grabbed him.
    Kaboom! Right into the dirt.
    I have a beautiful slo-mo memory of flame and smoke boiling out of that model 10, and the puff of dust where the bullet struck the ground.
    Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Occam's Razor.
    I witnessed a sympathetic discharge on a buy-bust. The officer had approached the guy with his revolver out and when he tried to runnoft the officer grabbed him.
    I have a beautiful slo-mo memory of flame and smoke boiling out of that model 10, and the puff of dust where the bullet struck the ground.
    Good times.
    I watched a video years ago of the same thing happening on a buy bust foot pursuit. Unfortunately that round went in the back of the suspects head.
    Formerly known as xpd54.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Occam's Razor.
    Good times.
    Interesting report as folks have made a big deal out of trigger pull as a defining safety feature for various handguns. The DA/SA debate, 1911s with safeties that have to be removed as they have a light pull. The Glock trigger - then the NY Trigger - revolvers has being safer due to the heavier pull.

The human factors folks have reported for quite a few year that trips, yips, sympathetic squeezes, etc. overcame the supposedly safer heavier pulls on revolvers and DA semis.

A good reference is: Human Factors Issues in Handgun Safety and Forensics 1st Edition
    by Hal W. Hendrick (Author), Paul Paradis (Author), Richard J. Hornick (Author)

and Force Science may have done some also. The conclusion was finger on trigger was the variance as compared to trigger pull.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I watched a video years ago of the same thing happening on a buy bust foot pursuit. Unfortunately that round went in the back of the suspects head.
    I think I’ve seen that same one. From the ‘80’s, maybe early 90’s?

I’ve heard several presentations from the attorney that represented the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Interesting report as folks have made a big deal out of trigger pull as a defining safety feature for various handguns. The DA/SA debate, 1911s with safeties that have to be removed as they have a light pull. The Glock trigger - then the NY Trigger - revolvers has being safer due to the heavier pull.

The human factors folks have reported for quite a few year that trips, yips, sympathetic squeezes, etc. overcame the supposedly safer heavier pulls on revolvers and DA semis.

A good reference is: Human Factors Issues in Handgun Safety and Forensics 1st Edition
    by Hal W. Hendrick (Author), Paul Paradis (Author), Richard J. Hornick (Author)

and Force Science may have done some also. The conclusion was finger on trigger was the variance as compared to trigger pull.
    I remember years(decades) ago Ayoob citing a test that showed the convulsive squeeze to be in the neighborhood of 20 pounds.
    "Keep your booger hook off the bang switch..."
    But that takes more than a simple admonition, it takes training, practice, self monitoring and constant vigilance.
    Ain't nobody got time for that!
    After the aforementioned ND, the Narcotics captain(who had just come from the Academy) angrily said "He was told to keep his finger off the trigger!"
    Yes. Yes he was. Told. In one part of one lecture.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I think I’ve seen that same one. From the ‘80’s, maybe early 90’s?

I’ve heard several presentations from the attorney that represented the officer.
    My department had this identical incident occur in the early 90s. Buy bust, 2 undercover narcotics officers tried to arrest a very large dealer. He turned to run and one of the officers grabbed his collar with both hands to stop him.....one of which held his DA/SA 9mm. Shot went into the back of the unarmed dealers head, killing him.

There was of course huge "community uproar", but it evolved in an interesting way. The 2 officers, both African-American, with their lawyer attended a community meeting where they apologized for the mistake and expressed remorse. One of them, the non-shooter, became a member of the Nation of Islam a week later. All was forgiven, and the whole thing went away within a couple of weeks. They both continued to serve for years. The shooter (a really good dude that everyone liked) retired a few years early. He was never the same after the incident. The other officer pursued promotion and is currently a Deputy Chief. Kind of a Jekyl/Hyde personality. He'll be the most articulate and outspoken advocate for officers in use of force cases one day, and then just come out with some flat out crazy ideas the next day. You never knew which guy you were gonna get.

User Tag List