Thread: Just Got My Slide Back From Maple Leaf -- Pics and Musings

Just Got My Slide Back From Maple Leaf -- Pics and Musings

This is the first slide I've sent out to have milled (I also have a LTT-92 RDO slide but it came as-is). I'm not sure this will be news to anyone, because Maple has a good reputation and is recommended here -- which is one of the reasons I chose them. Anyway, just wanted to share the results. I'm really pleased with the way it came out. I had them also cut a window in the slide and add forward serrations, both for weight savings and because I like the look of it.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, just wanted to share some pics for anyone interested. Also, Maple does a nice job marketing with their return box. I've never been one for the "unboxing" experience, but it made me feel like I should have been recording when I opened it.

Other musings, not strictly related to Maple:

Adding the MPS made it heavier and changed the balance more than expected. Maybe because a G17 is lighter than my LTT or because I have much more trigger time over the years with Glocks than with 92s. My other RDS is an SRO, so not a closed emitter, but not small or light (I think compared to some other open emitters).

Initial dry-fire presentations show no greater difficulty finding the dot than with my SRO. The grip angle change is an interesting variable to work through.

I've recently decided to get into USPSA and it seems that using this slide would push me into Open instead of CO, due to the slide work. That's unfortunate, but not a game-changer since I don't anticipate shooting beyond the club level. That's one of my gripes about hit factor scoring (which I am trying to better understand)--my inability to compare scores across divisions.

I'll be curious to see if the red FO front sight is distracting from the dot. If so, I'll switch it our with a black one.

Name:  IMG_4339.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  101.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4346.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  49.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4347.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  36.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_4349.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  20.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_4348.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  57.8 KB
    Last edited by dogcaller; 03-21-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Site Supporter
    I'm pretty sure the slide is perfectly legal in USPSA CO, and kf it's not, it's definitely legal in USPSA Limited Optics (the new division)

Also, what about hit factor scoring isn't comparable between divisions?

Site Supporter
    I used a green fiber optic on my front sight, and it's different enough from the red dot to not be distracting, but easier to see than a black front sight. That's looking through an RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I'm pretty sure the slide is perfectly legal in USPSA CO, and kf it's not, it's definitely legal in USPSA Limited Optics (the new division)

Also, what about hit factor scoring isn't comparable between divisions?
    Thanks for this information, Noah. Didn't realize the Limited Optics was a go. I've seen some talk but I'm just getting into USPSA so I've got lots to learn. Regarding hit factor scoring, it totally may be. That's a question of mine. I'm used to an IDPA-type time-based system that makes it easy to look across and just compare my times against the times in other divisions. I will definitely stipulate that my gripe might just be based on my own ignorance.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Thanks for this information, Noah. Didn't realize the Limited Optics was a go. I've seen some talk but I'm just getting into USPSA so I've got lots to learn. Regarding hit factor scoring, it totally may be. That's a question of mine. I'm used to an IDPA-type time-based system that makes it easy to look across and just compare my times against the times in other divisions. I will definitely stipulate that my gripe might just be based on my own ignorance.
    Just add one more step- all Hit factor is is points divided by time. Maybe you are confused because USPSA scores are displayed as a percentage of the best score, but you can directly compare your hit factor (and time and points) vs all other competitors.

Just like IDPA gives you a universal, 2 step score (time plus penalties), USPSA gives you a universal, 2 step score (points divided by time)!

I shoot both sports and shooting either is a million times better than the couch or even a stationary or no pressure range environment, but many people really like the particular way that hit factor scoring balances rewarding both speed and accuracy.

I'm pretty sure slide work like that has been Carry Optics legal since 2017 or 2020, unless your barrel is ported.

Maybe you are confused because USPSA scores are displayed as a percentage of the best score, but you can directly compare your hit factor (and time and points) vs all other competitors.
    Nailed it--that's the key. I'll have to look back with that new understanding--thanks!

I'm pretty sure slide work like that has been Carry Optics legal since 2017 or 2020, unless your barrel is ported.
    Got it, thanks! Now there's nothing to keep me from burning down CO.

Their stone wash nitride is awesome.

I had a 17 slide done up in that finish and it looks amazing. Their machine work is absolutely fantastic and functional.

And Practiscore will display overall standings by match or stage as well as by division.

Here is the rule on superfluous holes

21.2b
    A slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing optical sights or cocking serrations. Textured finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling on the slide to provide texture is also allowed. Cuts designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, are allowed.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 03-21-2023 at 08:34 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I love my maple leaf done g26. Wears a rmr and carries like a dream with a 12 round magazine in it

Looks great. They have my G19 slide right now for EPS milling and enhanced serrations. Looking forward to getting it back.

User Tag List