Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP John Linebaugh

Name:  Hog Buster.JPG
Views: 568
Size:  33.1 KB

About 30 years ago, John built this .454 for me. At the time, he said that it was the first .454 that he built. It is a piece of art.

Truly sorry to hear this. John was gracious and helpful with my little hair brained projects. He was always interesting to talk to, we would get lunch at the Proud Cut now and then, or at the shop when Id make it over. He will truly be missed.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The loss of knowledge about heavy for caliber loads and revolvers for them cannot be imagined. Between John Linebaugh and Dick Casull, the entire field of big bore rounds and revolvers were reinvented. Casull pushed velocity while Linebaugh pushed sectional density. I started with Casull and ended with Linebaugh as I could not handle the quick twisting impulse of the .454. Heavy bullets and moderate velocities work very, very well.

We are most definitely diminished.
    I've quoted this passage from Mr. Linebaugh several times here, but this is a good time to do it again:

I have personally taken about 10 antelope and 1 mule deer with a .45 Colt. My boys have taken around 6 antelope and 5 mule deer with their .45 Colts. They use a 4 3/4" Colt SA and the handload is a 260 Keith cast at 900 fps. This load will shoot lengthwise of antelope and mule deer at 100 yards. In my estimation it kills as well as the .270, 30-06 class rifles if the shots are placed properly. If I were hunting heavier game I'd step up the velocity to 1200 fps and in extreme circumstances, (elk, hogs, bear) go to the 310 gr cast slug. This load, 310 at 1200 will go through elk like so much air. These loads can be managed by anyone who is serious about handgunning big game. The .45 gives them a minimum of recoil and blast. I think the .45 Colt has a lot to do with this as it gives them big bore power without big bore recoil and blast.
    I see this as his real legacy: combining relatively modest external ballistics with modern bullet design, top-flight craftsmanship, and superb gun-handling skills, then teaching younger generations how to use those basic tools.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I've quoted this passage from Mr. Linebaugh several times here, but this is a good time to do it again:

I see this as his real legacy: combining relatively modest external ballistics with modern bullet design, top-flight craftsmanship, and superb gun-handling skills, then teaching younger generations how to use those basic tools.

Okie John
    I think that is a very fair and accurate assessment. His articles are the ones that converted me to the 45LC club in the first place. He leaves behind a serious void in the knowledge base for sure. Rest In Peace for sure. What a blessing places like PF can be as a repository for this knowledge and tradition. It is places such as this that will help to “carry the torch”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOWDAH TO LINBAUGH AND BOWEN

About 1990 I wanted a Howdah Pistol in 12 bore cartridge. I found it would cost as much as a car so I looked at other options.

After seeing Ross Seyfried’s articles, I called John Linebaugh. He was great to talk to. He said he could build me a .500 Linebaugh that would have

Howdah power and much more accuracy. I asked him about double action revolvers and he referred me to Hamilton Bowen.

Bowen built me 2 4” barrel .500 Linebaugh (450gr @ 1200fps) Ruger RedHawks in Stainless, 1 5.5” .475 Linebaugh (420gr @ 1300 fps) Ruger

RedHawk in Stainless.

I enjoyed them a lot. Pre arthritis days were great.

Bowen also did a .44 Alpine RedHawk and later a .500 Maximum (450gr @ 1475fps) on a bisley grip Ruger Super Blackhawk 6.5” barrel.

The Maximum was too much, Hamilton warned me it would be. He said it would be as much fun as a sharp stick

up the nose , but, if I wanted it he’d build it.

I feel a debt to John Linebaugh and Hamilton Bowen. I was able to experience real power and accuracy in custom revolvers.

Also Seyfried and Taffin educated us on powerful revolvers through their writings.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    .500 Maximum (450gr @ 1475fps) ....

Once i was talking to John on the phone, he said "Have you shot one of these 500 Maximums?" "No...." "Come over and shoot this one while I chronograph it"

I shot 3 groups of 3, he was getting 1550 fps with a 440 gr bullet. It tore the ligament in my right thumb, I was unable to shoot anything right handed for a couple years, then only 22s. It took a while before I could shoot right handed in a semi-regular fashion.

Another time he was loading some insane 5 shot 45 Colt loads, he kept bumping the charge up, at one point he was turning a new canelure on the bullet farther down so he could get more powder in. I think he was aiming for 2000 fps with a 225 gr Speer JHP, and we got pretty close. After a while I told him it wasnt fun any more and i wanted to stop, as the muzzle blast was absolutely intense. I think he was happy with the results in any event.

First time I met John in 1989, it was Bob Edgar that had suggested I stop in and say Hi when out in the area. John handed me a standard 500, 440 gr @ 1350fps I think, and said "Theres a 15" chevy rim on the hillside over there, its right at 300 yards". I didnt hit it but was pretty close every shot. John was a little surprised that I already knew the general idea of shooting pistols at distance. He also said I was one of the few people to shoot one of his guns and turn around with a big smile.

He jokingly commented about my g19 being tactical tupperware when we were out shooting at the plates once, but he good-naturedly took a turn and shot it. Our close plate was 300 yards, the longer one was 600. The 600 was mainly a rifle plate, though I did shoot it once with the g19. John was an excellent pistol shot at distance, and was one of the influences or encouragement for me to shoot more longer range with pistols. There was a handful of local guys that shot longer distance and some that shot mainly or entirely one handed. Those guys were all a bad influence.

Good times, and good memories.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

One of the greats whose work and writings inspired me to spend a couple of years of my life dabbling with 45 Colt handloads and using them to hunt mule deer, coyotes, javelina, and jackrabbits. Always thought that one day I would have him build a revolver for me. But it never happened. As others have stated . . . . we are diminished.

I used to shoot 50 rounds a session with the 4” .500 Linebaugh and liked it.

Chronographing the .500 Maximum, I shot 3 and did not want to finish the rest of the 5 shot cylinder.

It is like a Scandium J frame for recoil speed but it hits much harder. Like being hit by a heavyweight with the speed of a lightweight. Hurts.

Bear in mind this was when I was closing #2 grippers and doing 35 ledge edge pull-ups. My pre old and arthritic days.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

Nice link. I think Ive seen that gun, maybe shot it.

Last he mentioned it, John was carrying one of the 5 shot L frame Smiths in 44 mag cal, I dont recall the model. He also carried a Colt Combat Commander some, and a Smith 25-5 some. He also had a Smith model 37 2", the alloy J frame, he wanted to put a 3" light profile barrel on it. He said he asked someone he knew at the factory if he sent them the model 37 gun and 3" barrel if theyd fit it up, they said they wouldnt remove a barrel from an alloy frame gun, it could gall the threads and another barrel may not fit up correctly. I asked if he couldnt fit it up as needed if it did happen. I found a parts set with such a barrel and had it sent to him to try, I dont know if he ever got to mess with it.

One of the cool projects he did back in the 90s I believe was a 5 shot 357 made on a 32 mag Ruger Single Six frame. I think he only did one, maybe two of them, and it cost as much as his big guns, as there was essentially the same amount of work of making a cylinder from scratch and all.

Johns Combat Commander was acting funny. I had taken the 1914 made Colt 1911 for him to blue. He told me to take his gun out and shoot it a couple mags one handed. It popped the thumb safety on now and then when shot one handed. Hed taken it to another local Smith that messed with 1911s a lot (Tony), they couldnt figure out why it was doing it. I stumbled onto the answer. The flange behind the thumb piece was being pushed by the flesh on the hand, it only happened when shot one handed. He told me to take it off and grind it for clearance, it stopped doing the weird saftey activation, but John said "grind some more off it", so i did. He then said I was getting a free blue job on my 1911.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List