Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi settings blocking a website?

I looked at my router settings and don't have a static DNS. Mine is set to obtain DNS services dynamically from my ISP. Having said that, I don't recall ever specifying a DNS in any router I've ever had in the house or RV..but maybe I'm missing something.

It's certainly possible to blacklist specific web sites, and a whole lot more, directly within your router. But if sounds like you haven't logged in / changed any settings on your router, is that correct? For reference, I have a Netgear Nighthawk MR60 router, with two satellites, running firmware revision V1.1.7.132_2.0.64. I just looked, and .134 is available, but I tend not to update router firmware without a really good reason. Let me know if it would help to compare settings.

Site Supporter
    No problem reaching that site from here... on FF or Chrome...

Since it's happening on several devices reproducibly, it's unlikely that clearing cache/cookies would fix it...

I'd look next at your router configuration to see if there is any security tools that might be blocking.... and if so, can you add that website to the whitelist..
    Also take a look for a timeout setting on the router and consider extending it if it seems short... or.. just as an experiment...

If you don't find anything on the router, next step would be to call your ISP and ask them if they are blocking that site for some reason...

I ran tracert just for giggles and it was a bit ugly.... maybe you're timing out before the page can load??
    FWIW... rangeusa.com is hosted on AmazonAWS

1 thru 5 were just getting outside my ISP so, not included here...
    6 3 ms 3 ms 2 ms 99.83.67.104
    7 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 150.222.206.215
    8 4 ms 5 ms 4 ms 15.230.48.18
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 32 ms 32 ms 36 ms 52.95.2.120
    11 33 ms 32 ms 32 ms 52.95.2.141
    12 32 ms 32 ms 31 ms 52.95.2.224
    13 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms 15.230.39.233
    14 33 ms 33 ms 33 ms 15.230.39.222
    15 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 108.166.248.37
    16 * * * Request timed out.
    17 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms 108.166.248.41
    18 * * * Request timed out.
    19 * * * Request timed out.
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    23 32 ms 31 ms 31 ms ec2-3-17-227-201.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com [3.17.227.201]
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Seems if it was your ISP, you'd be having issues on other sites as well..
    Slight thread drift, but can an ISP unilaterally restrict access to web sites without the end user actively setting their system up to do this? I know businesses and schools do this for public wifi, but for home use?

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    Slight thread drift, but can an ISP unilaterally restrict access to web sites without the end user actively setting their system up to do this? I know businesses and schools do this for public wifi, but for home use?
    Can, yes. Will, pretty rare, unless a site is actively malicious and drawn to their attention.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I noticed the URL is WWW.rangeusa.com, but it redirects to rangeusa.com. I've been seeing that a lot lately, including with PF. It could be a browser setting that is rejecting the redirect as a security concern.

try https://rangeusa.com instead.

ETA: I missed the part about a blank webpage. That sounds more like a coding issue that isn't compatible with your browser(s). If you're unable to reach the site, you should get some sort of error message (not found, time out, blocked, etc).

Chris

You can use your browser's "Developer Tools" to help understand what is happening. In Chrome based and Firefox browsers you use CTL-Shift-i to open the Developer Tools.
    Note that Developer Tools is incredibly complex but you can use just the "Network" portion to see if you are getting replies from rangeusa.com.

The goal is to see if rangeusa.com is replying to your browser when you try. The first reply should be from rangeusa.com and have a status code of 200.

Open a new tab.

Close all other tabs in the browser and open Developers Tools. Developers Tools will open a tile within the browser either on the side or the bottom. Chose the "Network" heading in DT. Somewhere below the line with Network will be a line that contains All, Img, Media and other types of choices, Choose "All".

In the left top of DT, there will be a red dot and a circle with a slash (I'm doing this in Chrome) The red dot starts and stops the recording (you can also use Ctrl + E), the circle with a slash clears out the recording (In Firefox, it's a trashcan).

With a blank page and blank recording window, start recording and go to "https://rangeusa.com". A bunch of stuff will start scrolling in the recording window, give it 30 seconds, stop the recording.

Now you have a list of everything that your browser has downloaded from rangeusa.com. Scroll that list to the top.
    The first reply should be from rangeusa.com and have a status code of 200. If you get that, you are at least getting to and getting replies from them. There may be a ton of other stuff,like JS scripts, CCS stylesheets, Error replies etc.

If not, something else is blocking or intercepting that traffic. Possibly your ISP is using a caching proxy like Websense that is also blocking that site. The replies may give a clue about that.

Using DT can be daunting due to it's complexity but it can be very helpful just seeing what you browser is getting back.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I clicked the link above and I got a blank page as well, turned off my VPN and their page opened right up. They are tracking web traffic to their site and if it doesnt think your legit or it cannot track you it redirects you to a blank page... Then it asked me for permission to access my location... I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I clicked the link above and I got a blank page as well, turned off my VPN and their page opened right up. They are tracking web traffic to their site and if it doesnt think your legit or it cannot track you it redirects you to a blank page... Then it asked me for permission to access my location... I dont think so.
    Interesting. I turned off tracking protection in FF for just that website but no dice.

When I tried to use the developer tools I got this for rangeusa:

Name:  screenshot1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  14.3 KB

Here's PF for comparison:

Name:  screenshot2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  19.2 KB

They no longer let you reserve a lane by phone, it has to be scheduled online. I confirmed I can access the website through cellular data or my hotspot on my phone and iPad so that's progress.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Interesting. I turned off tracking protection in FF for just that website but no dice.

When I tried to use the developer tools I got this for rangeusa:

Name:  screenshot1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  14.3 KB

Here's PF for comparison:

Name:  screenshot2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  19.2 KB
    I can't quite read the output, what is the status code in magenta? Also what is all the info on the second line? Is it Favorite icon?
    If so, rangeusa.com might be getting the request but sending back an error.

Or,

It might be that the browser is sending 2 GET requests and gets absolutely nothing in return. Something is blocking your requests to the web server, either your router, modem, ISP or a Firewall on the web servers side.

Either way, if you have an outbound VPN, or a TOR browser, you can try to see if you can reach it through those.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Sorry, I thought the pics would post larger.

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    I can't quite read the output, what is the status code in magenta?

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Also what is all the info on the second line? Is it Favorite icon?
    503 - GET - rangeusa.com - favicon.ico - FaviconLoader.jsm:180 (img) - html - 901 B -0 B
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List