Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice Drawing to low ready as a deterrent?!

Site Supporter
    This is a good discussion and as an everyday earth-people I practice draw to fire, draw to low ready and discreet draws.

Also, that dude has 170 subscribers and the video has 32 views (most probably from this thread), I don’t think you have to worry too much about him influencing too many people.

Yes this is a great discussion. I have to admit I have never really thought about this. Maybe in my mind the fear of 'brandishing' has been overriding what now seems could be a useful skill. Next time at the range will be different. Thanks guys.

This is one of the things I like about IDPA and USPSA, the decision to draw is often separate from the decision to shoot. Usually at the buzzer, you draw and then move to someplace else to expose a target. Sometimes it is a draw to a load or delay the draw until getting into better position. But the initiation to draw is not always coupled to an immediate decision to shoot unlike some or most simple square range drills.

I like practicing the following:
    1) Draw to ready (high, low, thumb-pec index)
    2) Draw and shoot
    3) Draw, start to press the trigger, and abort the shot

Credit: @Mr_White
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    For a civilian the application, like alluded to above, is a lot more narrow, and appropriate only in certain circumstances.
    I would hope that non LEOs understand that drawing to deter behavior that does not constitute a clear threat of deadly force is inappropriate, and I would also hope that someone doesn’t fall behind the reaction curve because they draw to a ready position when in fact they should be immediately engaging a deadly threat.
    Or drawing too early and then possibly needing solutions that don't include a pistol. And we don't speed re-holster blind anymore.

There's a lot that can go wrong here.

I've been advised a full firing grip of the pistol in the holster is a ready position that can deliver an aimed shot as fast as a low ready without the implications of standing there with a gun in your hand. Possibly brandishing depending on locale.

Fairly straightforward to train as we already train from the holster so much.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I've been advised a full firing grip of the pistol in the holster is a ready position that can deliver an aimed shot as fast as a low ready without the implications of standing there with a gun in your hand. Possibly brandishing depending on locale.

Fairly straightforward to train as we already train from the holster so much.
    That’s one of the reasons why I like pocket revolver so much.
    Can get a full grip on the gun without any inherent legal repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That’s one of the reasons why I like pocket revolver so much.
    Can get a full grip on the gun without any inherent legal repercussions.
    Related if somewhat unrelated I just got one of these from Demonstrated Concepts aka dcon training, the cheekweld trainer.

https://demonstratedconcepts.com/pro...m-dcon-hoodie/

Very nice lightweight hoody with the center pocket opened up. Virtually a pocket carry from the AIWB holster. I'm diggin' it.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Chuck Taylor's (RIP) mantra, "Draw to the Ready, Up, Look, Press!"

Therefore incorporated into every draw stroke. Just a matter of halting the process at the Ready position.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Clearly, there are times one needs to whip it out and shoot it out, both for LEO's and self-defenders. LEO and private training needs to address both present-and-fire as well as draw to low ready.
    Yes, totally. And it was the lack of that type of important context that got my jeans in a knot regarding that video.

To me the right course of action in the ‘draw and be ready to draw and deliver’ spectrum is more about having to do with an understanding of how to mentally and tactically manage different scenarios, within the constraints of legal use of force and proper use of force escalation, than having to do with some technical ‘training rep’ that you can practice at the range; that may in fact give people the idea that they ought to practice getting their smoke wagon out as a method to “deter” when it may be totally inappropriate to do so, and in fact illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This is a good discussion and as an everyday earth-people I practice draw to fire, draw to low ready and discreet draws.

Also, that dude has 170 subscribers and the video has 32 views (most probably from this thread), I don’t think you have to worry too much about him influencing too many people.
    You are right.

And I must tell you, the backstory is that a friend sent me that video and wanted to know my opinion about it, and my opinion regarding the practice of practicing drawing to a low ready, “in case you don’t have to shoot someone.”

I inferred some potential problems with the concept and content, as explained in my prior posts, and I thought …” I wonder what the squared away dudes on P-F would have to say about this topic, which seems pretty darn important to address correctly.”
    So here we are

User Tag List