Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI along with a tiny rant - Glock slides and Glock parts

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @DMF13
    +1 on Brownells

And… assuming you’re talking about a slide with the same locking block and barrel, you can put a Gen4 slide on a Gen 5 frame by putting a Gen 5 back plate on it and Dremel notching the right hand slide for the ambi safety.

Most Gen 4 slides work on Gen 5 frames even without notching the slide because there’s enough play and twist in the ambi safety… so basically a back plate away from working if the barrels are compatible.

Attachment 102722

This is a Gen 4 G34 slide on a Gen 5 frame with only a back plate change, and a Gen 5 barrel because of the different locking blocks.
    Ok, backplates are cheap and easy, along with swapping barrels, so that might be the way to go.

With regard to the slide release, any thoughts on cutting off the right side of the slide release? I'd much rather cut up the cheap part, as opposed to the expensive slide. Also, other than my very brief foray into lefy shooting, while I rehabbed the right arm with tennis elbow, I've had no need for a right side slide release for many years.

Also, thanks to all who provided leads. My "Google Fu" is obviously weak!

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Ok, backplates are cheap and easy, along with swapping barrels, so that might be the way to go.

With regard to the slide release, any thoughts on cutting off the right side of the slide release? I'd much rather cut up the cheap part, as opposed to the expensive slide. Also, other than my very brief foray into lefy shooting, while I rehabbed the right arm with tennis elbow, I've had no need for a right side slide release for many years.
    Also note that if you’re talking about G19s you don’t have to swap barrels.

It’s only if you’re talking about Gen 5 G17 and 34s the barrel is different than the Gen 4s.

When I tried cutting off the right side slide lock, I seem to have recalled some loss in torsional rigidity of the LEFT side activation so I would try it unmodified first.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Also note that if you’re talking about G19s you don’t have to swap barrels.

It’s only if you’re talking about Gen 5 G17 and 34s the barrel is different than the Gen 4s.

When I tried cutting off the right side slide lock, I seem to have recalled some loss in torsional rigidity of the LEFT side activation so I would try it unmodified first.
    Yeah, I'm sticking with the 19 for the foreseeable future. The work guns won't be changing anytime soon, so I'm going to stick with that.

I will definitely try it without modifying anything before I start going crazy with a dremel!

For the prices of the parted out guns, as a cop your probably better off just picking up 2 complete blue label guns.

If anyone cares, I decided to get Dagger slide, cut for an "RMR." It was a "daily deal," and way cheaper than getting a slide and parts, or buying yet another gun. I've used a Gen 3 slide on my Gen 4 frame before, so it shouldn't be a problem, especially on a dedicated dry fire gun.

Now I just need to find another RMR footprint optic.

User Tag List