Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI along with a tiny rant - Glock slides and Glock parts

RFI along with a tiny rant - Glock slides and Glock parts

I am looking for a Gen 4 slide, plain or MOS, so I can set up a red dot for my dry fire gun, and have both a irons only and red dot dry fire option, on my dedicated dry fire gun.

I'm also looking for a Gen 5 slide, plain or MOS, and I'll be setting it up to compete in Carry Optics by swapping slides on my carry gun.

Any aftermarket options should be as reliable as the OEM versions (at least for the Gen 5 version), in fact if it's aftermarket I'd like it to be as similar to the OEM version as possible.

I don't need barrels, but I will need all the internals. Also, my armorer's cert is expired, so I can't order parts direct from Glock. Any suggestions on reputable places to get OEM Gen4 and Gen 5 parts? I need some spare parts (frame and slide), and parts for any stripped slides I might get.

Any idea where I can get such things at a reasonable price? [rant]All the options I am finding with regard to the slides are almost as expensive as buying another gun. Why in world are slides alone so darn expensive![/rant]

Thanks in advance for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I am looking for a Gen 4 slide, plain or MOS, so I can set up a red dot for my dry fire gun, and have both a irons only and red dot dry fire option, on my dedicated dry fire gun.

I'm also looking for a Gen 5 slide, plain or MOS, and I'll be setting it up to compete in Carry Optics by swapping slides on my carry gun.

Any aftermarket options should be as reliable as the OEM versions (at least for the Gen 5 version), in fact if it's aftermarket I'd like it to be as similar to the OEM version as possible.

I don't need barrels, but I will need all the internals. Also, my armorer's cert is expired, so I can't order parts direct from Glock. Any suggestions on reputable places to get OEM Gen4 and Gen 5 parts? I need some spare parts (frame and slide), and parts for any stripped slides I might get.

Any idea where I can get such things at a reasonable price? [rant]All the options I am finding with regard to the slides are almost as expensive as buying another gun. Why in world are slides alone so darn expensive![/rant]

Brownelles

[rant]All the options I am finding with regard to the slides are almost as expensive as buying another gun. Why in world are slides alone so darn expensive![/rant]
    Perhaps because the slide and barrel are the main substantial parts? All other parts are pretty minor/cheap to make.

Perhaps not inexpensive, but here is a source for everything but the frame:

https://everygunpart.com/handgun-kit...anufacturer=33
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    Brownelles
    Yeah I’d say Brownells for Gen 4, but I don’t think they make a Gen 5.

You actually can get a Gen 4 slide to work on a Gen 5 frame just fine, but it involves swapping out some frame parts. So if your goal is to swap slides on the fly…I don’t know why I brought it up.

What model are you looking for parts for?

Ever since Polymer80 and the other Glock clones became prominent, the price of OEM Glock slides skyrocketed.
    Used to be if you looked around on Gunbroker or wherever you could find them for under $300, and occasionally closer to $200 for say a 17 or 19. Now, they're at least ~50% higher.
    Ultimately this is a result of scalpers parting out new Glocks, even selling uppers on eBay, and people in more restrictive states paying a premium for them. Drives me mad.

Glockmeister is okay to deal with. Some parts can be found cheaper elsewhere though.
    Just beware, if anything goes out of stock after you order, you might need to call them to cancel as I don't think they'll ship a partial order.
    I had one order with a few out of stock parts that stuck around in their system for something like 12-16 months before one little part became available and the order got fulfilled.

Glockparts.com is also alright.

Midwest Gun Works is great to deal with and has always been consistent for me:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Yeah I’d say Brownells for Gen 4, but I don’t think they make a Gen 5.

You actually can get a Gen 4 slide to work on a Gen 5 frame just fine, but it involves swapping out some frame parts. So if your goal is to swap slides on the fly…I don’t know why I brought it up.
    @DMF13
    +1 on Brownells

And… assuming you’re talking about a slide with the same locking block and barrel, you can put a Gen4 slide on a Gen 5 frame by putting a Gen 5 back plate on it and Dremel notching the right hand slide for the ambi safety.

Most Gen 4 slides work on Gen 5 frames even without notching the slide because there’s enough play and twist in the ambi safety… so basically a back plate away from working if the barrels are compatible.

Name:  85B6738A-6FC2-4AFD-97D4-9D68E61C34C2.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  38.7 KB

This is a Gen 4 G34 slide on a Gen 5 frame with only a back plate change, and a Gen 5 barrel because of the different locking blocks.

I bought a few Glock MOS slides/uppers from Big Tex Ordnance. Supply comes and goes but right now looks somewhat scarce. They do have three complete G45 MOS uppers in stock right now (which would work for a GEN5 19 too). No stripped slides but they sometimes sell those too.

https://www.bigtexordnance.com/product/glock-gen-5-oem-slides-stripped-complete-g17-19-19x-34-45/
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter

Ambi safety?

I have limited experience with Glock pistols and just completed the basic armorer class last week. Please help me understand what you mean by "ambi safety". Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @DMF13
    +1 on Brownells

And… assuming you’re talking about a slide with the same locking block and barrel, you can put a Gen4 slide on a Gen 5 frame by putting a Gen 5 back plate on it and Dremel notching the right hand slide for the ambi safety.

Most Gen 4 slides work on Gen 5 frames even without notching the slide because there’s enough play and twist in the ambi safety… so basically a back plate away from working if the barrels are compatible.

Name:  85B6738A-6FC2-4AFD-97D4-9D68E61C34C2.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  38.7 KB

This is a Gen 4 G34 slide on a Gen 5 frame with only a back plate change, and a Gen 5 barrel because of the different locking blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I have limited experience with Glock pistols and just completed the basic armorer class last week. Please help me understand what you mean by "ambi safety". Thanks.
    What? The armorer’s course didn’t tell you how to interpret people who make errors in terminology?

I meant ambi slide release / stop.

I have safeties on the brain from working on 1911’s.

Site Supporter
    Gotcha. Now I understand. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    What? The armorer’s course didn’t tell you how to interpret people who make errors in terminology?

I meant ambi slide release / stop.

I have safeties on the brain from working on 1911’s.

User Tag List