Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on next revolver (L-Frame Smith)

Following up, went with the mid-2000s 3" 686-6 that was a pretty good price. Already had a bobbed hammer, which I had planned on doing anyway. The money saved over an L-comp can buy some support gear, sights, and ammo. Appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Only L frame I own at the moment is a 44, however, if I were in your shoes I would purchase a 3" 7 shot 686. I don't know if the L frame comp gun is six or seven shot. But 7 shot for training continuity. Actions are different on the 7 shots than the 6. Shorter throw between cylinders. Hope this helps.
    About that continuity. I shot a 7 shot 686 a while ago, and decades of sixguns did a number on me. I wasn't trying to count shots, but apparently there's a counter in my head because I kept dropping six empties and one live round. When I did remember there was a 7th round, there was a long delay between shots 6-7.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveThePirate View Post
    Following up, went with the mid-2000s 3" 686-6 that was a pretty good price. Already had a bobbed hammer, which I had planned on doing anyway. The money saved over an L-comp can buy some support gear, sights, and ammo. Appreciate the input.
    That 3" won't hurt you in IDPA. I did some good work with a 3" Model 10 back in the day. Claude told me it wasn't a snubbie, it was a short service revolver.

Site Supporter
    Even with my comments in post #5, the 686 is by far my favorite revolver. No problem getting 1" groups from bags at 25 yards with good ammo.

User Tag List