Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on next revolver (L-Frame Smith)

Opinions on next revolver (L-Frame Smith)

After picking up a 242 recently as primarily a hiking and winter coat pocket kind of gun, I'm looking into an L Frame that I can use for more heavy duty range use, possibly competition. I'd like to go with either a 3" or possibly 2.5" to keep holster compatibility with the 242.

I'm kind of torn between the newer 586 L-comp or a 686 Plus 3" which should work in the same holsters and can share speedloaders, or possibly putting that money towards an older 686 2.5 or 3 inch (686 - 686-4, probably).

For something that's not going to get treated with kit gloves, I'm kind of erring toward the newer guns. They're also easier to find, and possibly cheaper. The older guns seem to be everyone's preference, but I'm not sure how much of that is collector value vs using it hard.

Thanks for any input!

possibly competition
    That caught my eye.
    The main sanctioned venue for competition with an ordinary looking revolver is IDPA. USPSA revolvers are specialized beyond consensus reality.

The IDPA revolver should be a sixshooter, either a .38 with a sack of speed loaders or something with plenty of full moon clips. Fiveshooters are not competitive except in BUG and 7-8 shot revolvers cannot be loaded full.
    A 4" barrel is maximum and preferred. I have seen Claude Werner do things with a 3" but it would be a challenge for me.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Yeah, I've thought about that. I want to keep it to no more than 3" because it isn't going to be primarily a competition gun, and honestly, I know I won't be able to go often enough to be competitive anyway. This will be far more of a training thing with occasional competition for personal growth.

I’ve seen too many QC issues with current production S&W L-frames to see them as something fit for hard use. Both in person and on here. Hell my brother just got a 686+ and the rear sight is canted even after replacing the whole rear sight assembly.

Site Supporter
    Recent L frames are a crap shoot; inspect before you buy.

One of my SSRs has a bbl. that isn't properly indexed causing the front sight to be slightly off vertical........but it's so accurate I hate to mess with it.

I fired my old M66 2 1/2" yesterday with factory Rem 125 HPs......recoil was worse than my 4" 629 because of the old Pachmayr grips I had on it but it was very accurate.

Only L frame I own at the moment is a 44, however, if I were in your shoes I would purchase a 3" 7 shot 686. I don't know if the L frame comp gun is six or seven shot. But 7 shot for training continuity. Actions are different on the 7 shots than the 6. Shorter throw between cylinders. Hope this helps.

I've had several L-Frames, since shortly after they were introduced, carried one for several years, etc. Hard to go wrong with one in good condition, no matter the era IMHO. I've had both the 6 and 7-shot versions. But, just as many others have reported about their more recent S&Ws, the one L-Frame I had with the lock did have to go back to S&W with an issue.

I prefer the 4" guns as a general purpose revolver. The L-Frame is still a pretty big gun, even with the 2 1/2"-3" barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverJIM View Post
    Recent L frames are a crap shoot; inspect before you buy.

One of my SSRs has a bbl. that isn't properly indexed causing the front sight to be slightly off vertical........but it's so accurate I hate to mess with it.

I fired my old M66 2 1/2" yesterday with factory Rem 125 HPs......recoil was worse than my 4" 629 because of the old Pachmayr grips I had on it but it was very accurate.

I'm looking at used guns as well. Is there a specific range of years where QC started falling off? While I'm not loving the idea of a lock, I'm not totally opposed to it either. For instance, if guns built in the 2000s have a higher degree of build quality and QC, even with a lock, than current guns, I'm totally open to them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveThePirate View Post
    I'm looking at used guns as well. Is there a specific range of years where QC started falling off? While I'm not loving the idea of a lock, I'm not totally opposed to it either. For instance, if guns built in the 2000s have a higher degree of build quality and QC, even with a lock, than current guns, I'm totally open to them.
    Well that's going to inspire some... spirited debate. If you're talking specifically L-frames I wouldn't go back any further than 1997 if you want a shooter.

As for generalities that have numerous rule-proving, individual exceptions:
    the 80s were wtf-to-okay
    the 90s were good-to-really good
    the 00s were the same, mostly, but now with 100% more lock
    the 10s were good on parts quality but assembly was hit or miss
    the 20s I guess you can infer from posts here and elsewhere; IDK

Sample size of 6-7 from 1995-2012; 3 of the 6-shot 686s (1995, 2000, 198X/2003*) racked up modest round counts, with a cumulative total at approx 20k (9/8/3, respectively). Mostly IDPA with .38 +P handloads to make PF. The first 8-shot 627 (2012) that got any meaningful use-- roughly 3k in USPSA-- had finish issues and one parts failure documented here somewhere. Some others that I traded into / out of from the same time period had similar build quality even if they didn't get shot much. Guns I saw other SSR/ESR and REV shooters were using at the time lined up with the above as well.

*1980-something, AZH prefix, never got its mfg date - sent it to the PC in ~2003 for them to unfuck it where they did an ok job

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Well that's going to inspire some... spirited debate. If you're talking specifically L-frames I wouldn't go back any further than 1997 if you want a shooter.

As for generalities that have numerous rule-proving, individual exceptions:
    the 80s were wtf-to-okay
    the 90s were good-to-really good
    the 00s were the same, mostly, but now with 100% more lock
    the 10s were good on parts quality but assembly was hit or miss
    the 20s I guess you can infer from posts here and elsewhere; IDK

Sample size of 6-7 from 1995-2012; 3 of the 6-shot 686s (1995, 2000, 198X/2003*) racked up modest round counts, with a cumulative total at approx 20k (9/8/3, respectively). Mostly IDPA with .38 +P handloads to make PF. The first 8-shot 627 (2012) that got any meaningful use-- roughly 3k in USPSA-- had finish issues and one parts failure documented here somewhere. Some others that I traded into / out of from the same time period had similar build quality even if they didn't get shot much. Guns I saw other SSR/ESR and REV shooters were using at the time lined up with the above as well.

*1980-something, AZH prefix, never got its mfg date - sent it to the PC in ~2003 for them to unfuck it where they did an ok job
    Great info! Very informative.

User Tag List