Thread: Red Dot for 10/22

Red Dot for 10/22

I have a 10/22 Competition Rifle with a magnified optic on it that has sat in the safe for a couple years because I’m not really into scoped rifles. I have been shooting more rimfire lately and I think I would actually use the 10/22 if I installed a red dot.

Any recommendations for a particular red dot in this application? The Competition 10/22 has the pic rail on top of the receiver. I will just be banging steel at the farm.

General Preferences
    -Reliable
    -Easy to use
    -Not made by the CCP
    -Affordable

For a bargain picatinny mounted rimfire optic, I’m a big fan of the old Bushnell TRS-25 & newer TRS-26. Any of the primary arms dots would work well too without breaking the bank. Could even use one of the dedicated T1 10/22 mounts to get it lower than picatinny mounted.

TRS-25 on 10/22

I am not an expert on RDS, but I hung my first RDS, a TRS-25, on my basic 10/22 plinker as a way to begin learning about them. I liked it so much I added a second TRS-25 to my S&W M&P-15 Sport. Both are fun to use. I cannot give you comparisons on higher-end RDS, but given the economical availability of the -25 and newer -26, I'd recommend you give it a try.
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    -Not made by the CCP
    -Affordable
    Those aren't mutually exclusive but it's a hard ask. I guess it depends on your definition of "affordable" and which of those 2 points are more important.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

The 2 best affordable options are one of these:

1. Primary Arms SLx Advanced Push Button Micro Red Dot Sight - Gen II
    https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight

2. Vortex Optics Crossfire 2 MOA Red Dot Sight
    https://www.primaryarms.com/vortex-o...ot-sight-2-moa

Why would I pick these two over the mountain of options out there? They are both proven durable optics, backed by a great warranty, and extremely affordable. However, the killer feature here is that they share the same height of the front lens over the mounting interface as the Aimpoint T1/T2. Nearly all of the other offerings sit higher, messing up the math when you are choosing a T1/T2 compatible mount. With these 2 optics, when you buy a T1/T2 mount that specifies a specific mount height, that will remain true and you won't have to guess. I know that the PA optic will come with a low mount suitable for the 10/22.

Any red dot you like. I have one with a TRS25. I also have one with a peep sight. Shoot the peep more than the red dot now days.

For benign recreational use, there's plenty of RDS to choose from. Based on past experiences with lesser brands, I'm not going any lower than Vortex quality and they have a good reputation in providing excellent CS if/when you need it. I have a Vortex Crossfire on a .22 pistol and it's been good. I found it on sale for $99.00 which is a decent value, IMO.

A middle of the road option (costwise) is Ultradot. I've had a Gen 1 25mm Ultradot on a 10/22 for decades and it works great. These are routinely used on the hardest recoiling handguns in existence and they hold up just fine.

https://ultradotusa.com/sights/
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Those aren't mutually exclusive but it's a hard ask. I guess it depends on your definition of "affordable" and which of those 2 points are more important.
    Fair point and I should have been more specific. Something in the couple hundred dollar range.

I have had Aimpoint and Trijicon’s in the past but I don’t think I need that level for this application.

I apologize, I skipped over the part where you said "not made in the CCP".
    Burris red dots are made in the Philippines. The Vortex Venom red dot is also made at that same factory. The Ultradots mentioned above are made in Japan. The Ameriglo Haven RDS are made in the Philippines as well. The pistol open emitter dots should be fine on 10/22. My first suggestions are made in China, but I still think they are the best choices.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 03-17-2023 at 05:13 PM.

Site Supporter
    If you don't want a CCP-built optic but still want quality, why not pick up a used Aimpoint H1/T1? You know they're bomb-proof and have the advantage you can use on any rifle for serious use. I've used aT1 on a 10/22 and it worked great at <=50y.

On the Hide, on arfcom, and on M4C, in the buy/sell forums you can find Aimpoint T1s/H1s for sale in the $425-$550 range. More than you planned to spend, but well worth it.

User Tag List