Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (A)IWB Slide Length Wondering...

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Great responses, thank you.

They beg the question… if using the long holster anyway, why not go ahead and use the longer barrel. Semi-rhetorical- would need to look up relative weight savings…

Just a thought, but you might find it a chore to clear a G34 length slide from the holster, especially in compromising (sitting in a car) situations.

Somebody above hit the nail on the head, longer is better right up until it’s not.

And, just my anecdotal experience, but the thinness of a firearm makes more of a difference in the comfort department than slide length. The P365XL, G48, Hellcat Pro’s are the kings of AIWB.

They beg the question… if using the long holster anyway, why not go ahead and use the longer barrel. Semi-rhetorical- would need to look up relative weight savings…
    Because it's lighter.

But it's you, mostly. A smaller stature human will notice weight deltas more than a larger one. I'm a 5% percentile male, height wise, in the North American population set, so I got to be the test dummy when we needed to do dynamic functional anthropometry at work. So for me, carry rig weight is a big deal; others, not so much.

Site Supporter
    I've found a longer, at least G17 length, holster to work better for me in 99% of the situations I find myself in, regardless of what gun I'm carrying. The one notable standout where it gives me issues is when riding a motorcycle. That requires a G19 or shorter holster or the use of a single PTD strap so that the holster is able to pivot a little.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’m used to wearing a tool belt, so I’m fine carrying a 19 or 17; not much difference to me.

Shorter guns like a 26 tend to tip out away from the belt (for me anyway), so when I briefly had a 26 I solved that by carrying in a 19 holster, then figured if I was doing that I might as well just carry the 19.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Regarding my Glocks, I'm considering having one of my 17 frames cut down to accept 19 mags, as a way of having the best of both worlds, from a concealability/shootability standpoint.
    I did that. And it’s kinda neat, and helps with concealment if those two extra rounds are poking out just a bit too much. I wouldn’t say it shot any better than a 17 or 19. Right now I still have the frame with no slide to go on it currently, if that tells you what conclusion I came to. Some guys love that setup though.

I always recommend against the 365 and 43x for this reason. If you are going to be carrying in a 365xl or 48 holster, might as well carry that model to take advantage of the lighter recoil and increased velocity.

Best argument for longer barrels is ballistics. G26 does well with the 124 grain hst so that's what I use, it is pretty quick out of the holster also.. I use g19 length holsters for both my g19s and my g26

All other things being equal, the shorter slide/barrel with clear the mouth of the holster faster upon the draw.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List