Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (A)IWB Slide Length Wondering...

(A)IWB Slide Length Wondering...

If carrying IWB or AIWB, is there any actual advantage to a shorter vs. full-sized slide? To define our terms, let's consider a G19 to be the "shorter" and a G17 to be "full length." Personally, my most regular EDC for ~25 yrs has been a G19 in a Kramer IWB#3. That being said, I also comfortably conceal a P226, G17, G34, and 1911, all in Ky-Tac Braveheart IWB kydex (I sure wish I could get more of those, but I digress...).

I've recently dipped my toe into AIWB, with a JMCK for my LTT92 with RDO. I've read that longer is likely better for AIWB.

I very rarely CCW OWB. So here's why I'm asking... I have an EDCx9 which is sorta G19 sized. It's the most expensive pistol (or firearm) I have ever purchased. Definitely felt like a once in a lifetime extravagance, and I just don't shoot it that well. I'm considering selling/trading/acquiring the 5" version, because I think it's likely I would shoot it better, and I'm frankly not sure there is any advantage to the shorter slide length, for (A)IWB carry.

Regarding my Glocks, I'm considering having one of my 17 frames cut down to accept 19 mags, as a way of having the best of both worlds, from a concealability/shootability standpoint.

Just curious what the hive mind thinks about all of this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    If carrying IWB or AIWB, is there any actual advantage to a shorter vs. full-sized slide? To define our terms, let's consider a G19 to be the "shorter" and a G17 to be "full length." Personally, my most regular EDC for ~25 yrs has been a G19 in a Kramer IWB#3. That being said, I also comfortably conceal a P226, G17, G34, and 1911, all in Ky-Tac Braveheart IWB kydex (I sure wish I could get more of those, but I digress...).

I've recently dipped my toe into AIWB, with a JMCK for my LTT92 with RDO. I've read that longer is likely better for AIWB.

I very rarely CCW OWB. So here's why I'm asking... I have an EDCx9 which is sorta G19 sized. It's the most expensive pistol (or firearm) I have ever purchased. Definitely felt like a once in a lifetime extravagance, and I just don't shoot it that well. I'm considering selling/trading/acquiring the 5" version, because I think it's likely I would shoot it better, and I'm frankly not sure there is any advantage to the shorter slide length, for (A)IWB carry.

Regarding my Glocks, I'm considering having one of my 17 frames cut down to accept 19 mags, as a way of having the best of both worlds, from a concealability/shootability standpoint.

Just curious what the hive mind thinks about all of this.
    Not much help, but when I awitch to a G19 at work my G17 is getting the grip chop to 19 length. The hardest part of a gun to conceal, especially IWB, let alone AIWB is the butt, not the barrel/slide...

pat

Other things being equal, I prefer a lighter rig, so in that a sense shorter slide will weigh less. With an optic, the gap is pretty small as sight radius plays less (any?) of a role. From a comfort setup, I prefer the longer length holster mouth, as it aides in the gun not angling out so much.

So for me, my preferred setup AIWB is my P365X+407K, but in a XL length JM Custom Kydex AIWB WC 2.5 holster.

Generally speaking, you want as much length as possible for AIWB to help with stability and concealment. However that can be achieved by simply using a longer holster rather than needing a longer slide, a G26 in a G34 holster being an extreme example.

Edited to remove

GearFondler beat me to it and said it more concisely.
    Last edited by EVP; 03-18-2023 at 09:24 AM.

Regarding holster length, some find a longer holster prevents the gun from rolling out of the waistband. Think G26 vs G19 vs G34 length.

Speaking to slide length, it certainly can make a difference. Depending on position carried, and one's range of motion, the draw can be affected.

It's all gun, age, injury related.
    Taking a break from social media.

A lot of it comes down to body type and activity. My favorite carry setup from when I still used glocks was a G19 in a G34 DSG holster. This was before the time of bumps and crotch pillows, the longer holster body seemed to leverage the gun in just a bit more and being essentially flat, it did not have any pressure points or other potentially awkward "are you happy to see me" bulges. It also balanced the feel of the gun make the weight even less noticeable.

Right now I am carrying the LTT92 compact in a fullsize JM holster, and while it works great, I plan to get a shorter one because of how much bending and squatting I have to do at work now causes first some discomfort of the holster driving into my hip, but also some chafing as the whole rig rides up and down.

For AIWB, I think longer is better right up until it's not. I carry most everything in a G17 length holster but something about the transition to a G34 length screws it all up. That seems to be driven by waistline ride height and body shape.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I carry my Glock 19's and 17's in 17 length holsters. Its more comfortable since the 19 length kinda sits on the thigh, where the 17 length kinda slips on the side of the thigh. I also had my JM AIWB for my Glock 42 made about an inch longer.

Name:  IMG_5632.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  72.3 KB
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Great responses, thank you.

They beg the question… if using the long holster anyway, why not go ahead and use the longer barrel. Semi-rhetorical- would need to look up relative weight savings…

User Tag List