Thread: Rem 870 Clamp-On Rifle Sights for Vent Rib Barrel

Rem 870 Clamp-On Rifle Sights for Vent Rib Barrel

At one time, I believe I saw a picture on the forum, of someone with an 870, vent rib barrel, that had some rifle sights that were "clamped" to the rib. I cannot find that. Does anyone know who makes those? I can drill and tap for a bead, but would like to try these out.

Thanks much.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Site Supporter
    I have the TruGlo on the rib of my 870 for turkeys and it works well.

That said Meadow Creek Mounts has a setup that puts the micro red dot of your choice on the vent rib. I've been considering mounting up a Holosun 407c.

I have these on my 870, which are a simple non-adjustable rear and then a normal drilled and tapped front. https://fusionfirearms.com/fiber-opt...ibs-6mm-to-8mm

I like how low profile they are, essentially being the equivalent of pistol sights installed on a shotgun without having to mill a dovetail into the rib. They are also a good stand-in for actual express sights, as that rear has a very generous u-notch that's precise enough to hit things with slugs but definitely plenty fast.

I may still go the mill-and-install-pistol-sight route someday but this is a great solution for something I was able to do myself. That rear is held in place by four set screws that are sharp enough to cut into the rib a bit, which is doing a good job keeping it in place under recoil. That obviously does some "damage" to the rib but on a barrel that's already been hack sawed, I don't mind that.

I did black out the rear fibers on mine and go with a green front.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    That said Meadow Creek Mounts has a setup that puts the micro red dot of your choice on the vent rib. I've been considering mounting up a Holosun 407c.
    I really like the looks of that as long as it's something that will hold during high volume shooting. It looks like a perfect application for an EPS though - I'd definitely prefer closed emitter on a long gun.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think the one I saw was a bit different. I don't remember for sure, but it seemed the clamping mechanism was not as bulky as some of these. Maybe it was a gunsmith-installed item, but it looked like it was clamped on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think the one I saw was a bit different. I don't remember for sure, but it seemed the clamping mechanism was not as bulky as some of these. Maybe it was a gunsmith-installed item, but it looked like it was clamped on.
    OR3Gun mossy sights? http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_o...ightsaddle.htm

ETA: Also XS used to make a setup where they combined one of their fixed v-rears with their screw-on big bead. That required milling a dovetail in the rib.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    OR3Gun mossy sights? http://www.or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_o...ightsaddle.htm

ETA: Also XS used to make a setup where they combined one of their fixed v-rears with their screw-on big bead. That required milling a dovetail in the rib.
    It's possible that's what I was remembering. It seems the rear sight was a v-rear.

User Tag List