Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith & Wesson frame-mounted decocker deep dive…

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

Smith & Wesson frame-mounted decocker deep dive…

Name:  B732F43F-D179-462B-8FD7-91E53E5A0DF2.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  102.5 KB

This 5926 is part of a deep dive I’ve been curious about for years.

The whole frame-mounted decocker fad for Smith & Wesson 3rd Gen autos came and went in the few years before I got into the gun biz back in late ‘93.

I’m digging around to search the origins. Some primary source material is here at p-f.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The “Bart Simpson”…

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-03-16 at 7.28.24 AM.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  11.8 KB
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The whole frame-mounted decocker fad for Smith & Wesson 3rd Gen autos came and went in the few years before I got into the gun biz back in late ‘93.

I’m digging around to search the origins. Some primary source material is here at p-f.
    I think I read somewhere that CHP wanted the frame mounted de-cocker because with the regular slide mounted safety/de-cocker some guys would load up then de-cock at the beginning of the day and forget to take the safety off before holstering. I have no idea if that's true or not, but maybe it's out there on the internet somewhere.

I'd imagine at some point they looked at what Sig was doing and decided to try giving that location a shot?

I had an early 5926 that worked just fine, but then the whole recall thing happened and I sent mine back to the mothership.

Rumored horror story that I heard about an FBI academy gun that locked up so bad it had to be sent back to the factory with a live round in the chamber or some such nonsense, not sure if that story was true.

When mine came back with the replaced parts, I could not tell any difference in terms of handling it, decocking, etc. It did have a dot stamped some place close to the lever to denote it had been through the recall.

I sent it down the road back in the 90's when I dumped out of the gen 3's mostly. But mine was problem free while I owned it. I don't recall the trigger being significantly different from the slide mounted decockers but that was a long long time ago.

Site Supporter
    I have nothing to add except that 3rd gen S&W autos are way cooler than they should be, and I'm really glad Tamara is doing this.

As always, I'm happy to see more 3rd gen S&W anything from P-F royalty.

Site Supporter
    The first canine guy I ever met wanted to sell me a 1076 in 1993 or so. I desperately wanted that gun. The cartridge, the platform...I just didn't have $500 at the time. Then I found out he had problems with the gun.

All this time later, and knowing how he treated his dogs (and why he had been canned by what would be my first agency), I am not surprised he tried unloading that gun on a college student and wishful eyed security guard.

But yeah, Third Gen Smiths have always been super cool, reliable and desirable in all calibers...

pat

Had a 1026 back around 2016. Sold it to some dealer in MN I believe. Saw him selling it a few years ago

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I had a 1076 back in the early 90's. I would have preferred to have a 1086 or 1046.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think I read somewhere that CHP wanted the frame mounted de-cocker because with the regular slide mounted safety/de-cocker some guys would load up then de-cock at the beginning of the day and forget to take the safety off before holstering. I have no idea if that's true or not, but maybe it's out there on the internet somewhere.
    CHP's second batch of 4006TSWs, specifically called the "CHP4006TSW", has the slide mounted decocker only setup. they get my vote for best'est .40 service pistol.

User Tag List