Thread: 511 ABR classes

511 ABR classes

Looking for some feedback. I’ve got a family member that’s trying to get his wife and by extension my SO to attend some of the 5.11 “always be ready” classes that are free in local stores. Apparently they’re co-hosted by USCCA, so my concern is that it’ll be 20% class (of unknown quality) and 80% sales pitch for 5.11 and USCCA.

Specific two classes is the women’s mindset/situation awareness class, and the traumatic injuries classes.

I generally would rather encourage known vetted classes even if it costs a little bit of money. However, I could see that a class like this could be a good foot in the door, unless of course the info sucks and you have to un-teach what was learned.

Any feedback on these classes?

Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I attended one of the classes a couple years ago. Truth be told, I don't remember what the topic was. I believe it was a somewhat generic preparedness class. I don't recall much of a sales pitch for gear though that may vary from class to class. The instructor was from one of the regional training providers. It wasn't bad information though nothing earth-shattering for me.

Extrapolating from one class, I'd note that the ABR classes are designed for the great unwashed masses. Uou may get some good information, but the audience and time allotted are not going to allow in-depth coverage, especially not enough for a LEO or other professional. In training, like anything else, you get what you pay for. For your friend's wife, the classes mentioned may be great, especially as awareness raising sessions. From the SO standpoint, I'd suggest attending the class, evaluate the training provider, and determine if your agencywants to shell out the money for a more in-depth training program.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I attended one of the classes a couple years ago. Truth be told, I don't remember what the topic was. I believe it was a somewhat generic preparedness class. I don't recall much of a sales pitch for gear though that may vary from class to class. The instructor was from one of the regional training providers. It wasn't bad information though nothing earth-shattering for me.

Extrapolating from one class, I'd note that the ABR classes are designed for the great unwashed masses. Uou may get some good information, but the audience and time allotted are not going to allow in-depth coverage, especially not enough for a LEO or other professional. In training, like anything else, you get what you pay for. For your friend's wife, the classes mentioned may be great, especially as awareness raising sessions. From the SO standpoint, I'd suggest attending the class, evaluate the training provider, and determine if your agencywants to shell out the money for a more in-depth training program.
    Thanks for the feedback and analysis. Sometimes it helps to hear someone else process through similarly to how I am but with a different tweak on it.

To clarify, I’m not a deputy, “SO” as in significant other, not sheriffs office. That’s a portion of my doubt about these classes, I’ve had some great training opportunities through my agency, so I filter cla
    Ohi I sses like this through that…. I guess worst case scenario I’ll try to go to one of the classes and post up an AAR in that su forum.

User Tag List