Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Support index finger on trigger guard

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    I ordered a Swenson back in the early '70s, initially w/o the squared trigger guard. A short time later, I contacted Mr. Swenson and asked him to add the squared trigger guard. To be honest, I changed my mind because the squared guard was "the thing to have".
    My friend that is a key mentor has two of them, and boy howdy I always wanted that. Back then (probably ~1979) I couldn't even afford to get checkering done on the trigger guard of my pistol, but it didn't cost anything to put my finger there. Since going to TDI in 2006 I sorta tried to break that habit but seems like as soon as the timer goes off that is where my finger lands. Maybe/probably I will never break the habit, maybe/probably I will just quit trying, maybe/probably there are other gains to be had elsewhere.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    @Bio
    @JHC
    @GJM

It works well, but I like a mental map that is applicable to different guns and systems without adjustment. I would hate to be in a situation where I had a shooting mental map and then just by putting a weapon mounted light on the front, I could no longer use that map.
    Quite a while before I saw this thread. I 3D printed a thingamajig that attached to the surefire on the end of my Glock using hose clamps. It had a little nub that basically acted like the squared off trigger guard. It was not totally vertical, nor very grip-like, but I'm not a lawyer, and any benefit didn't seem worth getting into a legal gray area. It also wasn't holsterable, defeating much of the purpose of a pistol.

I spent a little time dry firing my USPC9 today with 2 fingers on the front of the trigger guard à la Lena M. The first thing that was immediately evident to me is that there's plenty of room for my index finger but my middle finger is perched uncomfortably on the nub at the bottom of the guard, and I think it will really get hammered during live fire. The other thing is that my left rotator cuff is irreparably torn and the subtle difference in the angle and extension of my left arm required to get my hand higher on the grip causes me some degree of additional discomfort. I'll try it with an MR920 when I get back home to see if that's any different, but I'm thinking I'll keep my current grip.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Unless something changed, or I am remembering incorrect, Vogel doesn't hook the trigger guard?

Attachment 102693
    No, I don't believe he actually does - he gets right up on it, though.

My hands may be a little bit bigger - darn sure not stronger - when I built the grip like he described my finger was naturally on the front of the trigger guard. Contact is at the bottom joint with M&P2.0/P320 and middle joint with G21 and G17. If I curled the finger to 'hook' it touches my trigger finger, so I don't do that. It is probably more accurate to say I lay or curl my finger.

I thought Vogel did as good a job monitoring and coaching as one person could, he certainly watched me and talked to me several times tweaking something or another, but never indicated my finger placement was wrong.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    As someone with compromised grip strength, that's an interesting video. I have a range trip planned for Sunday and I believe I'll have to experiment.
    So I did get to the range today and tried this out. I think I learned more about what handguns it doesn't work with than whether or not it can help me. Round trigger guard pistols, revolvers and a 1911 with a standard trigger guard are a no go for this method which really isn't a surprise.

The only pistol I had where I could actually try this was my Volquartsen/Tandemkross 22/45. I shot a 5 round warm up at 10 yards with my normal 2 hand hold, a 10 round group with my support hand index finger hooked on the trigger guard and still gripping as tightly as I could with my support hand, then another 5 round group with my normal hold. The 10 round group was certainly tighter but everything was right/high right compared to my usual hold.

I don't know that these targets mean much but here they are.

First 5 shots of the day, regular 2 hand hold, offhand 10 yards
    Name:  IMG_1030.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  28.9 KB

10 with the trigger guard hooked (this is a better representation of what the pistol can do but everything is further right than normal)
    Name:  IMG_1032.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  73.1 KB

Back to regular offhand hold, 5 rounds with a called flyer.
    Name:  IMG_1033.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  54.8 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@GJM I did a tiny bit of shooting with this grip today. So little that I didn't think it was worth posting. The gun felt less secure in my hand but the timer said things weren't too bad. Not enough to make any far reaching conclusions, let alone sny changes, but it did generate something that I will need to test later.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I used to shoot like this for a quite a while. I found it increased inconsistency in my grip especially with major loads and fast shooting. I am sure it can be done of course but I actually worked to get rid of that grip. It took a while. BTW, I also had all kinds of injuries and severe tendinitis while shooting with my finger on the trigger guard. I have none right now even though I shoot major loads almost exclusively. I believe it is because I changed my grip. Several high profile shooters told me they had the same experience. For the reference - I don’t have large hands. Perhaps that’s a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So I did get to the range today and tried this out. I think I learned more about what handguns it doesn't work with than whether or not it can help me. Round trigger guard pistols, revolvers and a 1911 with a standard trigger guard are a no go for this method which really isn't a surprise
    Back in the day I used this with my 1911 and later, a first gen Caspisn which had a round trigger guard. The latter had a ledge, which helped.

This grip seems like it would be particularly beneficial on guns like the PDP that tend to have more muzzle flip than recoil. In working with this grip dry over the last few days, I am able to find the dot much. more consistently on my 509T/PDP set-up (I'm relatively new to the dot and still learning). I think perhaps that the pistol is indexing for me more consistently with the trigger guard hooked - maybe. If it matters, I tend to wear XL gloves and my finger is catching the trigger guard with the middle portion/section of the finger. I like how far forward and high this allows me to get on the gun. Need some live fire to see how things actually work for me. SoonTM.

ETA: Despite working pretty diligently at it, I've never been completely happy with where my support hand index finger rides when using a "traditional" firing grip. If I place it where I get max traction/grip, it tends to interfere with my trigger finger. If I get it out of the way of the trigger finger, I lose a bit of bite with the support hand. Hooking around the trigger guard makes all that a non-issue and, if the finger will ride there without slipping off, should help with muzzle rise. (Yeah, need sone live boolits to see.)
    Last edited by Tensaw; 03-20-2023 at 05:59 AM.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

I was really thinking about going back and trying this but a quick survey of our pistols makes it a non-starter. We primarily shoot Beretta 92s. My main idpa 92 has a round guard and my backup/nightmatch 92 has a light/laser. My wife's match 92 would work but I am looking into lights to get the weight up. My carry M&Pc has a round guard. My wife's carry Glock 19 would work but....so a different grip for one or two pistols I don't think is a good idea.

User Tag List