Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Support index finger on trigger guard

Support index finger on trigger guard

A few weeks ago, I injured my support hand wrist shooting too many rounds support hand only in the Glock 20. It has been getting better, but still hurts and especially so when I clamp with my support hand on a pistol.

This morning, I decided to try putting my support hand index finger on the trigger guard, which is more comfortable. I was feeling on the edge of having something and feeling tired, so I didn't have high hopes. Interestingly, immediately I found it easier to split with this position. Not sure why, perhaps because that position feels more relaxed. The big surprise, was how fast I could transition my open gun. The higher position gave me more leverage and I saw some PR level transitions on steel. Not sure what to think.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few weeks ago, I injured my support hand wrist shooting too many rounds support hand only in the Glock 20. It has been getting better, but still hurts and especially so when I clamp with my support hand on a pistol.

This morning, I decided to try putting my support hand index finger on the trigger guard, which is more comfortable. I was feeling on the edge of having something and feeling tired, so I didn't have high hopes. Interestingly, immediately I found it easier to split with this position. Not sure why, perhaps because that position feels more relaxed. The big surprise, was how fast I could transition my open gun. The higher position gave me more leverage and I saw some PR level transitions on steel. Not sure what to think.
    Sorry to hear about your wrist!

Maybe consider giving it a good rest now rather than turning it into a nagging injury (ask me how I know!).

Grauffel and Lena Miculek use the support finger forward so it’s a viable option.

But consider just resting the wrist!

Just so I’m clear you’re running your index finger along the side of the trigger guard, NOT hooking it around the front?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Just so I’m clear you’re running your index finger along the side of the trigger guard, NOT hooking it around the front?
    Just like Eric Grauffel is demoing

Name:  B998118D-D42C-42A0-9168-ABB896F0270B.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  20.1 KB

I experimented with it, and didn't like it because it caused a left bias during the recoil. I think it requires a certain hand size or finger length that I do not have (S/M Mechanix gloves).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I experimented with it, and didn't like it because it caused a left bias during the recoil. I think it requires a certain hand size or finger length that I do not have (S/M Mechanix gloves).
    I am the opposite -- long fingers and XL gloves. Previously, I had not really considered this grip, but the performance today was so interesting, I plan to experiment more with it. Especially with a heavy pistol like my Open gun, the high finger provides tremendous leverage to transition quickly. I also like how I can pull straight back against the frame of the gun instead of onto my strong hand.

Site Supporter
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-trigger-guard

My response at the end of this old thread is still relevant today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Chuckled at the timing of this response (shortly after I had posted about a squared trigger guard in the Alchemy thread in Semi-Autos). I ordered a Swenson back in the early '70s, initially w/o the squared trigger guard. A short time later, I contacted Mr. Swenson and asked him to add the squared trigger guard. To be honest, I changed my mind because the squared guard was "the thing to have". When the gun finally arrived, it turned out my stubby finger just wouldn't reach the front of the trigger guard sufficiently to be of any benefit.

I do the same thing since I switched to using my right hand as the primary due to arthritis issues. I'm nowhere near the level of performance I had when I was healthy and shooting lefty.

Compared to the normal old "wrist canted forward" support grip, I'd say I improved 50% using the support hand forefinger on the trigger guard.

Gring(old)p
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I learned to shoot with my finger up there. Back in ‘00 I went to a class at Storm Mountain and they broke me of that. Saw an immediate improvement, especially in my USPSA scores.

IIRC, Jerry “the Burner” Barnhart used that grip back when he was whipping everybody’s ass at USPSA.

Edit: Ah, the good old days.
    Name:  0BA9B7B4-AFC0-45AE-83E9-E1F368A3BFEE.jpeg
Views: 858
Size:  56.2 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List