Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undershirt for AIWB carry?

Undershirt for AIWB carry?

So I'm new to carrying AIWB and after a couple hours, the pistol's grip/upper part of kydex holster and spare mag's floor plate began to rub me on my bare skin above the underwear waistline. Would wearing a snug, breathable t-shirt like dri-fit under the holster solve this? Any drawbacks? Thanks.

That's what I do, it's much more comfortable. It may sound weird, but I've found tucking my undershirt into my underwear helps prevent getting a handful of shirt when drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    So I'm new to carrying AIWB and after a couple hours, the pistol's grip/upper part of kydex holster and spare mag's floor plate began to rub me on my bare skin above the underwear waistline. Would wearing a snug, breathable t-shirt like dri-fit under the holster solve this? Any drawbacks? Thanks.
    I usually wear an undershirt when carrying AIWB for various reasons.

Depending on the material of the shirt you use, you may see some of the following issues.
    1. The material creates some slight friction which can slightly slow or impede you getting a good firing grip.
    2. If the material is too slippery it may cause the index holster to shift or slide more. Using the Phlster Enigma pretty much resolved this issue for me, and has the added benefit of keeping any undershirt from coming untucked.
    3. If the undershirt does come unticked, even just a bit, it could become a snag hazard when reholstering
    4. Depending on the texture of your firearm, rubbing against the gun may cause quite a bit of wear in that spot on the shirt. I've tried some shirts that were completely trashed after one wear just from a stock Glock.

I've had really good luck with shirts from 32 degrees. They do a good job of staying cool, staying tucked, being affordable, and not coming apart from friction with the gun.

https://www.32degrees.com/products/m...32164151754841

I like Under Armour sleeveless compression shirts for AIWB. They fit snug to the body so they don't interfere with a draw, and they can be worn under a tee without making it bulky or having sleeves extend out from under the tee.

They've held up really well to multiple washings and dry quickly.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Just like my belt and holster Underamour compression undershirts and underwear are a part of my carry rig. They make carrying AWIB significantly more comfortable. #1 the gun/holster slide against the material instead of grabbing your abdomen or thigh. The tight, slicker material helps with the draw. They stay tucked in, so there's no concern about snagging when re-holstering. Plenty cool during Oklahoma/Texas summer heat too.

I have probably 10 or so pairs of each. Haven't had to replace any in about 3 years.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

Site Supporter
    Good points all.

Ramble following:

I wear a t shirt most days. White cotton under dress shirts.
    All manner of cotton, poly bend and full poly for non dress shirt applications.

I have been an AIWB guy since the summer of 09.
    Almost any well fitting undershirt is better than none at all if you get irritated.

Other factors to consider include a sweat guard on your holster.

While I like merino wool t shirts, the daily use of them as either a cover or under shirt will likely lead to a hole faster than any other material/ material blend.

While UA makes a fine shirt, I have found that the similar offerings of Walmart and Target often deliver 75-90% of the wicking performance at less than 50% off the price.

Finally, if you go full synthetic they tend to hold stink more than other fabric such that washing with oxyclean is advisable.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ Man View Post
    That's what I do, it's much more comfortable. It may sound weird, but I've found tucking my undershirt into my underwear helps prevent getting a handful of shirt when drawing.
    Frankly, this, %100 - including tucking into underwear. All it takes is a handful of practice draws to come to the conclusion that tucking it in that way works great.

I just buy the plain old white undershirts, "George" brand, from Walmart. Keep in mind they are wear items (literally and figuratively)...even if you bleach/oxyclean/whatever, they're eventually going to get discolored, or get holes worn in them from sharp base plates, etc - so don't expect to do the usual guy thing and keep the same undershirts for a decade. Figure they'll last 2-3 years before they start picking up obvious issues, and just replace them.

The expense is worth it, far and away.

I have always worn one carrying AIWB. I guess about 13 years or so now. It didn't dawn on me until recently that this was why I couldn't get a reliable draw when grasping at my outwear at the belly button level like some teach vs. hooking or grasping the bottom edge of garment.

Site Supporter
    I've only been carrying for 5 years but it's too humid and hot in Fayetteville, NC for an undershirt. I tried it and gave up. I am usually cold(no thyroid #fuckcancer ) but I get hot sometimes and overheat. I usually wear an untucked t-shirt and an open button-up collared shirt so an undershirt was too much. When my ample belly is irritated by my holster/gun I just adjust it a little left or right. My colectomy scar can be sensitive sometimes(#fuckcancer ), same thing, slight adjustment. The Phlster Engima has made adjusting a lot easier.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    In the class I took TLG wore a polo with an undershirt. IIRC @SouthNarc has recommended same. For a lot of years P-F had rash guards for sale..,
    I also think undershirts are worth the effort and discomfort in the SW heat...YMMV

pat

User Tag List