Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wholesale update of my handheld lights

Wholesale update of my handheld lights

I still have the old Surefire G2 LED 120 lumen lights from 15 years ago for the nightstand, house, and in the car. I honestly haven't paid attention to handheld lights since then and I'd like to upgrade

Rechargable cell vs CR123? Are there any decent lights that can take both?

Would like to keep it in a similar size as the G2 series if possible, nothing too big.

Site Supporter
    I've been pretty impressed with Powertac lights. Their E9R4 is about the size you're seeking and is a dual fuel light. You alsso can't go wrong with Streamlight's ProTac series.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    I still have the old Surefire G2 LED 120 lumen lights from 15 years ago for the nightstand, house, and in the car. I honestly haven't paid attention to handheld lights since then and I'd like to upgrade

Rechargable cell vs CR123? Are there any decent lights that can take both?

Would like to keep it in a similar size as the G2 series if possible, nothing too big.
    If it’s a real G2, with a replaceable head then a Malkoff drop in is the easy button.

The other easy button is the G2 X pro or tactical for about $65 600 lumens

There is rechargeables all over the place and you have to decide if that’s what you want to do just like there’s all kinds of being patterns, depending on what you wanna do with the tool

Site Supporter
    For a polymer light, use one of the lower output Malkoff heads, typically with a model number ending with a single L. If left on too long with a higher output head, the polymer can retain enough heat to damage the LED. Even with this limitation, you have really nice options. These drop-in lights will work with CR123 or 18650.

If you want something thinner and easier to carry. the Malkoff Bodyguard V1 and V2 lights are very nice. I recommend 16340 cells with the V1 and 18650 with the V2.

For something as nice as it gets, NHShooter is assembling lights with Malkoff heads and Lumens Facotry Bodies, at a total cost less than you would pay to buy all the pieces yourself. Some of his lights use short bodies which will accept an 18350 cell. This is a very under-appreciated cell, allowing a light that is very little different in size than a typical single CR123 light, but using heads which require more power than a CR123 or 16340 could deliver. His longer lights are intended for 16650 cells, which are a little thinner than 18650. NHShooter's builds are the result of some serious consideration of the reasons behind every single feature. His business is EDC Light Builder, and he has a subforum in the Supporting Business section.

I am currently using Li-Ion cells in my EDC lights. They permit a bit more output than CR123, and having rechargeable cells facilitates always having a cell with at least an 80% charge without constantly tossing cells which still have usable life left.

If a smaller 1-CR123 size works for you, take a look at this.

At 3.5" in length and 2.6 ounces, it's very easy to carry in a pocket.

The P-F member 10% discount applies - PM me if you would like the code.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

My flashlight is my most coveted EDC item so I keep it pretty current. I stick to flashlights that are long enough to use as an impact self-defense tool in an icepick grip, although I prefer them NOT to have stupid sharp aggressive bezels as I don't want them to look like they are meant for that. Right now, I've been happy with the Streamlight Protac 2L-X for left side pocket carry. 500 lumens is bright enough disrupt someone's vision at night and is very useful. For my nightstand/battle belt setup I use the more powerful Streamlight Protac HL-X, which is 1000 Lumens but has a much bigger light bezel and is not as easy to pocket carry. Investing in a good battery charging station and Orbtronic 18650 batteries is a very good system. I've found that 16650 batteries work in older Surefire and Streamlight CR123 based lights and you can keep them in service with the same rechargeable system.
    I used to be all-in on the Thyrm switchback, but over time I found it too bulky in the pocket and more attention-getting than I realized. It also limits your flashlight selection a little too much. I had people ask me if I was carrying pepper spray in that pocket or ask me what the hell that was. Since adopting the TLR-7a across all of my guns including the G19 I carry, I abandoned the switchback and instead put a shock cord loop just big enough to fit around the palm of my hand attached to the lanyard hole with a small keyring. This gives all the retention of the switchback and is very easy to manipulate and grab, with the only compromise being the lack of the switchback's light activation in a full firing grip. The TLR-7 closes that gap. Previously I was carrying the version 1 of the Fenix UC35, which is a very capable light but the clip was too high in the pocket and was easy to activate accidentally and burn my thigh. I moved this light to the backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by stomridertx View Post
    Right now, I've been happy with the Streamlight Protac 2L-X for left side pocket carry. 500 lumens is bright enough disrupt someone's vision at night and is very useful. For my nightstand/battle belt setup I use the more powerful Streamlight Protac HL-X, which is 1000 Lumens but has a much bigger light bezel and is not as easy to pocket carry. Investing in a good battery charging station and Orbtronic 18650 batteries is a very good system. I've found that 16650 batteries work in older Surefire and Streamlight CR123 based lights and you can keep them in service with the same rechargeable system.
    So these two interesting. On the 2L-X website, it says it either takes a SL-B26 rechargeable Li-Ion pack, or 2x CR123. Do I need some sort of internal adapter for one of the options to fit inside, or do both the SL-B26 Li-Ion pack and the 2xCR123 have the exact same form factor?

On the HL-X website, it says you can either buy a rechargeable version that uses the SL-B26 Li-Ion pack, or a nonrechargeable version that uses 2xCR123. Is that correct? Or can the rechargeable version also use 2xCR123, like the 2L-X does?

Are the Orbtronic 18650 batteries functionally the equivalent of the SL-B26 pack and can be used in these lights without issues?

So these two interesting. On the 2L-X website, it says it either takes a SL-B26 rechargeable Li-Ion pack, or 2x CR123. Do I need some sort of internal adapter for one of the options to fit inside, or do both the SL-B26 Li-Ion pack and the 2xCR123 have the exact same form factor?

On the HL-X website, it says you can either buy a rechargeable version that uses the SL-B26 Li-Ion pack, or a nonrechargeable version that uses 2xCR123. Is that correct? Or can the rechargeable version also use 2xCR123, like the 2L-X does?

Are the Orbtronic 18650 batteries functionally the equivalent of the SL-B26 pack and can be used in these lights without issues?
    The SL-B26 is Streamlight's model number for their branded 18650 battery with a built-in USB port. The HLX and 2L-X are dual fuel lights that take either 2 CR123s or 1 18650. Streamlight obfuscates this because they want you to buy theirs. I've been running Orbtronic 18650s in these for a year now, and Orbtronic 16650s in my Surefire 6PX and G2x lights longer than that.

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Site Supporter
    I've really come to like the Cloud Defensive MCH. I have them in both 18350 and 18650 configurations. There new metal pocket clip is the best I've used on a light. The heads are a bit bulky ( my only gripe, I low key hound them on IG to offer a thinner EDC head).

User Tag List