Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IWB Holster with Some Slide Sticking Out - Bad Idea or Okay?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    This says OWB but title says IWB.
    Yup, I've got the OWB. I decided to carry the 5906 today in that holster to see how it worked out...using a leather belt and an oldish Don Hume leather single mag pouch. I was just asking about the IWB concept. I've decided to get a leather IWB for it since I can't find a kydex guy who has a 5906 mold, then I'll get a leather OWB for it.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by joker581 View Post
    Be careful if you're using it on the range. I got burned by the muzzle of a 92FS a few years ago when I holstered up while it was still hot.
    Agreed. I took a Gabe White class with a G19 in a holster like that. Ended up with a nice burn that lasted quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    You just put the jinx on that, pal.😁
    Unfortunately Tenicor does not make a 5" holster for an M&P otherwise I would use that one in abundance of caution, however in my experience the extra length is a non-issue. Tried messing with it today and I would have to jump/fall and pretty much land the muzzle on the edge of a table/counter with my body completely vertical in order to unseat the gun from the holster. I don't have the retention cranked down all that tight either.
    FWIW, I shot Mike Pannone's CTT concealment course with this setup with an extremely high round count and did not burn my balls a single time.

My EDC IWB holster is like this, not originally. I cut the end so that I can use it when I have a compensator installed, which I occasionally do for wilderness carry. I'm aware that the gun can get hot enough to give me a burn if I re-holster after shooting, in fact, I did a test for just that. There is only 1/4" exposed of the Glock slide and the comp makes it extend about 1". I did quite a bit of shooting mostly testing hot rounds for reliability running "realistic" type drills. I did a lot of drawing and re-holstering and went through several magazines including extended mags of 45super ammunition. Although the gun was quite hot, it was never hot enough that prevent me from re-holstering. At the end of my testing i concluded that I would have to do a lot of unnecessary rapid fire that I would never "realistically" do from my side arm to get it that hot that I cant re-holster.
    Another conclusion is was that removing that end reduced printing and increased the comfort of EDC. Removing that end of the holster removes a lot of unnecessary material that creates friction including grasping of the underwear that can make sitting and walking rise and tangle your inner garments. Personally, I see this as a huge advantage as I was able to start wearing boxers again. Gun designs and sizes vary, as well as holsters and how we all dress, so this is probably not a method that will work every time for every one. I use a Glock 30S, not a Glock 30 or 29, the 30S is beveled on the end that sticks out, so its really like removing 1 whole inch of lenght from the holster which basically gave me no advantage over choosing the the 30 or 29. This is probably why many people who carried the 30S felt no difference over the 30 or 29. For me, this is the only way to carry this gun now, compensator or not. My theory is that the method can apply to most concealed carry guns that are beveled on the end but should work decently also for blocky guns (Glocks).
    There is enough holster to keep the muzzle from touching skin. I wear boxers anyways, but even when using the threaded barrel which sticks out almost 1" with my mini compensator, the comp does not rub against me. That might be different story if I use one of my full size comps, but I have no need for those comps anymore anyways. I use a thread protector type compensator.
    I have had no problem with lint or dust collecting either. Still, I always examine my Glock for this everyday. Dust always collects in the barrel anyways no matter what gun or holster we use, I'm in the habit of running a bore snake often through my carry pieces, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And be careful that where you have it positioned that nothing pushes the slide up and unseats the pistol when you sit or bend.
    I've had this exact thing happen with an old holster I modified to allow using a longer gun of the same frame size. The muzzle caught on the edge of a chair armrest and pushed the gun partially out of the holster. It happened often enough with certain chairs that I stopped using that holster with longer guns. A holster that utilized some sort of thumb break strap would probably work better for this. Mine was kydex, and there was no retention besides the molded retention at the trigger guard.

The points about hot muzzles are also valid, especially IWB. Experienced that too.

User Tag List