Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB Holster with Some Slide Sticking Out - Bad Idea or Okay?

Site Supporter

IWB Holster with Some Slide Sticking Out - Bad Idea or Okay?

I recently got an S&W 5906 that I like. It's a brick to carry, but it's a pretty nice brick. I had Tony at JMCK make me an OWB2 for it using the only mold he has, one for a 6906 (compact version of the 5906). It works well, but it leaves 1/2" of the slide sticking out the bottom. I'm guessing an IWB3 holster would do the same. This would be an occasional carry piece and probably won't get sweated on.

I haven't found another kydex bender with a mold for this 20-years-out-of-production pistol. I could go with leather, but that's a long wait.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Back in the day we carried many a firearm on the job in "universal" holsters that would leave part of the slide sticking out of them

Never personally experienced nor can recall an incident involving one. Maybe it might get a couple of shiny rub spots...but otherwise, I think you're good to go.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Be careful if you're using it on the range. I got burned by the muzzle of a 92FS a few years ago when I holstered up while it was still hot.

And be careful that where you have it positioned that nothing pushes the slide up and unseats the pistol when you sit or bend.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I personally wouldn’t use a holster from which the slide protruded at the bottom. I’ve seen a lot of guns get unseated by upward pressure from furniture, including today on multiple occasions.

Keep an eye out for corrosion on that exposed part of the slide and you should be GTG from a maintenance standpoint. The previous mentions about unseating the gun from something pushing on the muzzle from below are totally legitimate concerns with an OWB holster, which is why I never use them for anything but range use. I'm guessing the potential for the gun to get "upholstered" would be much less with an IWB holster, but being aware of that being a possibility is sound advice for sure.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I recently got an S&W 5906 that I like. It's a brick to carry, but it's a pretty nice brick. I had Tony at JMCK make me an OWB2 for it using the only mold he has, one for a 6906 (compact version of the 5906). It works well, but it leaves 1/2" of the slide sticking out the bottom. I'm guessing an IWB3 holster would do the same. This would be an occasional carry piece and probably won't get sweated on.

I haven't found another kydex bender with a mold for this 20-years-out-of-production pistol. I could go with leather, but that's a long wait.
    I have done this with a Shadow 2 in a CZ 75 holster.

Two options. You can fuse / melt extra kydex over the muzzle.

Or make a loop with one sided adhesive foam to make a sleeve.

I can take pictures if you need more ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    I personally wouldn’t use a holster from which the slide protruded at the bottom. I’ve seen a lot of guns get unseated by upward pressure from furniture, including today on multiple occasions.
    I've carried a 5" M&P in an AIWB holster for a 4" gun for about 2 years (approx 3/4 sticking out of the end) nearly every day and I have never unseated my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    I've carried a 5" M&P in an AIWB holster for a 4" gun for about 2 years (approx 3/4 sticking out of the end) nearly every day and I have never unseated my gun.
    You just put the jinx on that, pal.😁

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I had Tony at JMCK make me an OWB2 for it
    This says OWB but title says IWB. I would be less worried about a IWB. Also maybe worth noting this is a TDA gun, not a striker gun.
    And the part about (literally) burning your ass IWB is legit, I did this when I got my first G-35.

User Tag List