Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, here goes -- Trying USPSA and first match musings

Well, here goes -- Trying USPSA and first match musings

Background: I shot a couple of USPSA matches in my early 20s in SoCal (Norco), long before I moved to Northern Colorado. That was 25ish years ago. I shot my G19, not particularly well, and then my P226, because I had a few factory 20-rd mags that were probably created for GSG9. I wasn't very good, by the standard of the group, though I had received some LEO firearms training and had done well in those classes (I'm not LEO). I shot informally with buddies and shot IDPA at the Apple Valley Gun Club when I could. Life, career, young kids, etc. limited opportunities a bit. I liked the more practical gear and approach of IDPA at the time, though it certainly has its own faults. The pistol-hanger holsters and oversized open master-blasters just turned me completely off. I moved to NoCo in 2007 and have shot occasional IDPA and similar outlaw matches over the years, with the same life constraints. At these smallish matches (10-20 shooters) I have typically placed reasonably well, finishing first several times and almost always in the hunt. I've taken a few local classes and a pistol class at the now defunct FrontSight, earning the top shooter distinction in the shoot-off. Again, it was fun to beat my buddies at the time, but doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. In a more recent indoor weeknight league the competition was keener and I placed toward the bottom of the top third.

I've decided that I want to improve my skills and learn how to shoot an optic, and I think USPSA is the way to do it. I purchased the Stoeger/Park book and have just begun reading. I'm shooting an LTT92 RDO with an SRO. I have primarily been a Glock shooter but the TDA talk here on PF piqued my interest so i picked up the lightly-used LTT from a member here and the RDO slide from LTT. I have experience with TDA but definitely don't feel as confident with the DA shot so need to continue to work on that, and it is improving. Holster is JMCK OWB and standard (not competition) mag pouches.

Three big things I have identified that I need to work on before working on anything else:

1) Index: Finding the dot quickly from the draw. This is getting better, and will continue to improve. I don't typically find this to be a problem in match conditions, but in dry practice it sometimes is.

2) Target focus: I've always been a "hard focus on the front sight" shooter and I am definitely finding myself looking for and at the dot when shooting.

3) Grip: No one has ever taught me this, but I've recently viewed some videos that demonstrate how much real estate I'm not using to my advantage because I don't rotate and lock my support wrist forward. There's actually a lot more to grip (as I'm learning--I was always a Modern Technique push/pull shooter), but just getting this part adjusted seems to be a good place to start.

Match 1: I shot a match at Boulder Rifle Club last weekend. There were ~70 shooters registered with CO being the biggest division. Stage 1 was the classifier (CM22-05 Win Some Lose Some). It sucked! Two strings and two shooting positions. Not sure about the distances but I believe A was 25yds and B was 10yds. A: From surrender, draw and fire two rounds each on four targets, reload and engage each with one round SHO. Seven second par time. B: From surrender, draw and fire two rounds each on four targets, reload and engage each with one round WHO. Seven second par time. Only one shooter in our squad of 18 got a round off after the reload--and he just got one. The shooters smarter than me decided to forego the reload entirely and just focus on making good hits--seven seconds was plenty of time for that. Some shooters, including me, rushed and had both poor hits and the post-reload mikes.

The other stages were good fun. I didn't DQ and had no mikes (other than those on the impossible classifier). Lots of A/C patterns and one D. Would have liked more A/A.

I definitely focused on the dot during my first field course. In my second I was more deliberate about being target focused. It seemed like I was a bot slower, because I was trying to be more deliberate about what I was seeing and where i wanted the bullet to land, but it didn't seem to improve my accuracy. The third field course was a mixed bag, focus-wise. At no point did I adjust or even notice my grip. I was busy trying to remember my stage plan and not DQ by being stupid. It was great fun and a good bunch of guys. I'm going to need to read more and do a better job with dry practice for all three of those areas I identified. That being said, I am wide open to feedback and suggestions. Placed 26/65

I only recorded one of the stages. Description and video below. I can't believe how slow I look compared to how it felt. In this stage the first two targets were to the left at ~15 and 18 yds. My close up doubles were slower than I would have liked. I ended up with a flat-footed reload. I noticed that I reloaded from my second mag pouch instead of my front pouch--twice. I assume this is because that pouch was as 9 o'clock, which is where I usually carry my spares, but this time I had four pouches instead of two, so they were spread out.

Name:  IMG_4196.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  32.1 KB

Here we go...
    Last edited by dogcaller; 03-14-2023 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I am wide open to feedback and suggestions.
    Glad to see you back in the game.

As far as technical aspects, grip and such, I don't think this video can show it well. I don't think any video does unless the mistakes are glaring.
    Visually what I noticed is seemingly a lack of sense of urgency in your movement. You're standing upright and kinda walking at your pace, best seen at the end of a stage.
    Your feet and body positioning is suboptimal on your first array. You're squaring to the first two targets and then taking the third with an across the body / outside of your cone transition which is awkward and slow. I'd either start moving after first two or would've positioned myself differently for that transition.
    I would consider signing up to Max Michel's Patreon thing for a few month. His video stuff is the best out there for things of that nature.

Your question in another thread, this is the only place I know of in SLC area that does weekday matches. This week's is full.

https://practiscore.com/armory-indoo...ue-84/register
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Great feedback, thanks. My thinking was that those first two targets were tougher so I wanted to give myself the best positioning for those. I definitely could have started moving sooner, and need to move faster.

Well, here goes -- Trying USPSA and first match musings

That looked like a fun stage, and you shot really well for a first match in years. @YVK's advice was good. Here are a few observations and suggestions:

You seem fairly relaxed. I don't see a lot of tension and over transitioning, which is really good.
    Your grip and recoil control are good. That can always be improved, but from what I can see you shoot the gun well.

It's not helpful to try to work on a lot of things at once, so here are three to think about:
    • Low, mobile posture with legs bent and hips free. That will allow you to move more easily and have your index and arm/chest support triangle be more independent from your direction of motion.
    • Gun UP and ready to shoot before you arrive at a target array. Shoot earlier, not necessarily faster.
    • Eyes to the next target first, then move the gun.

Looking forward to seeing stages from your next match, or some practice vids!
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-14-2023 at 01:30 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Second match

Shot my second match today. Another middling result. It didn't feel like a bad match, but I still can't get over how slow I am on video compared to how fast it feels. In my mind I'm quick, smooth, spry, and slim--notsomuch IRL.

I only remembered to ask for a video on two of the four stages. I was lucky enough (!) to be the 1st shooter on the first stage, 3rd on the second, and 2nd on the third. Whether that contributed to the brain farts or not, I'm not sure. One of the four stages at this club is always an indoor stage. Not a lot of room, but fun for sure. This is the one I shot first. Anyway, it felt reasonably good, shooting wise. I forgot to reload when I needed to so i ended up with a standing slide-lock reload, and started moving on before having to step back to add the second shot on a target. I also ended up with one round hitting the edge of a no-shoot covering 2/3 of one target. I was close enough that there's no excuse, and I didn't call that shot. Ended up with a NS and a miss on that one.

I'm noticing my ability to call shots better--particularly with the first shot, less so with the second. I'm also noticing that I'm often continuing to look at my dot instead of the target... Taking feedback from before, I made an effort to move more quickly between targets, but I'm not sure it shows in the video. I was also more cognizant to keep the gun up, ready to take the shot when it is first available

My best run was the classifier, which is good, I guess. The shooters clustered around me, score-wise, are mostly C-class. I'm not yet classified, but that seems about right--though I don't like it.

This is the classifier:

I noticed on this stage that some were saving the closer targets for last, to minimize transitions, but I have a hard time leaving close targets unengaged--still seeing them as "threats," IDPA style. I also kind of lost my stage plan once I got the the final shooting position.

They were scoring behind the shooter as s/he goes, so I didn't get the feedback from ~2/3 of the targets per stage.

Had a great time--met some more cool people--definitely want to keep doing it, but really want to improve. It's humbling.

So the big question for me is, are you having fun and feeling motivated to practice? Welcome back to the sport.

I noticed you increased your foot speed between your March and April match. That’s good because given that hit factor scoring is points divided by time, you want to do things as quickly as you can. Some people have the mantra of “shoot at whatever speed you need in order to get your hits, but do everything else at warp speed”. I kind of subscribe to that. For example, on a wide open close target you can just squirt two shots at it as fast as you can work the trigger, but a 12-15 yd target with a NS partially covering it deserves some respect (and time) to be sure of your shot. Ditto with respecting steel poppers.

I would also agree that when you shoot on the move you should try to get your center of gravity lower. Shooting on the move is easier with a dot than with irons but watch how the M and GM shooters move and get into position with a wide stance.

There’s always a lot of things one can work on, so just pick one or two at a time and work on them. But IMO you’ve overcome the biggest hurdle by just showing up. If you feel like a class would benefit you, there’s a guy in Northern CO by the name of Charlie Perez (aka Cha-Lee) that I believe hosts USPSA shooting classes.

I have a LTT with a SRO red dot mounted on it. I sometimes shoot it at my local matches, but my first true love is a CZ. But the Beretta and I will sometime sneak away for an illicit interlude.

@dogcaller

Nothing to feel bad about there. Your runs looked solid. Glad you’re motivated!

If you’d like to consider trying the SWYNTS drills I can help out there.

Working with @Moylan and @JCS over the years they’ve benefited I think from some of the specific coaching and when they put in the work, good things have happened!

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    So the big question for me is, are you having fun and feeling motivated to practice? Welcome back to the sport.

I noticed you increased your foot speed between your March and April match. That’s good because given that hit factor scoring is points divided by time, you want to do things as quickly as you can. Some people have the mantra of “shoot at whatever speed you need in order to get your hits, but do everything else at warp speed”. I kind of subscribe to that. For example, on a wide open close target you can just squirt two shots at it as fast as you can work the trigger, but a 12-15 yd target with a NS partially covering it deserves some respect (and time) to be sure of your shot. Ditto with respecting steel poppers.

I would also agree that when you shoot on the move you should try to get your center of gravity lower. Shooting on the move is easier with a dot than with irons but watch how the M and GM shooters move and get into position with a wide stance.

There’s always a lot of things one can work on, so just pick one or two at a time and work on them. But IMO you’ve overcome the biggest hurdle by just showing up. If you feel like a class would benefit you, there’s a guy in Northern CO by the name of Charlie Perez (aka Cha-Lee) that I believe hosts USPSA shooting classes.

I have a LTT with a SRO red dot mounted on it. I sometimes shoot it at my local matches, but my first true love is a CZ. But the Beretta and I will sometime sneak away for an illicit interlude.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to figure out the squat-run, lol! I did try to increase my speed between shooting positions. I do like my LTT. I've always kind of wanted a Beretta and the LTT scratched that itch. Then I bought the RDO slide for my first foray into MRDS. It shoots nice and flat, though it does feel just slightly large for my average-sized hands. I've had a CZ75 for years, and I do prefer the ergos of the CZ, but the trigger reach is LOOOONG. I tended to carry it condition 1 anyway, and have contemplated sending it in to have it converted to SAO. I'm know the CZs ya'll are running in USPSA are a different animal. That said, I am not interested in buying a pure (no offense intended to anyone) "gamer gun." The USPSA CZs seem purposely overbuilt, overlarge, over heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to figure out the squat-run, lol! I did try to increase my speed between shooting positions. I do like my LTT. I've always kind of wanted a Beretta and the LTT scratched that itch. Then I bought the RDO slide for my first foray into MRDS. It shoots nice and flat, though it does feel just slightly large for my average-sized hands. I've had a CZ75 for years, and I do prefer the ergos of the CZ, but the trigger reach is LOOOONG. I tended to carry it condition 1 anyway, and have contemplated sending it in to have it converted to SAO. I'm know the CZs ya'll are running in USPSA are a different animal. That said, I am not interested in buying a pure (no offense intended to anyone) "gamer gun." The USPSA CZs seem purposely overbuilt, overlarge, over heavy.
    No argument, the Shadow 2 was built from the ground up as a competition gun and at 47 oz unloaded its a chunk. The original SP-01 Shadow and the B variants are considered “duty” guns by some European police departments and probably some militaries. I used to run one of those but the ergos of the Shadow 2 just fit my hand better.

The Beretta on the other hand is a 36 oz gun with that aluminum frame, which is only a few ounces less than the original SP-01 Shadow (39 oz). You can get a short disconnector which reduces the reach of the trigger in DA mode (aka reach reduction kit), but I find the DA trigger to be about the same reach as on my LTT. They are both cool guns, but while I might carry the LTT its doubtful I’d ever carry my Shadow 2 even though mine have been lightened to come in under 45 oz dating back a few years when the weight limit for Carry Optics division was 45 oz.

Speaking of Carry Optics division, it requires guns that are TDA or striker fired. So converting your CZ to SAO will not make it legal for CO division. However on May 1 USPSA is opening up a provisional division called Limited Optics, which does allow SAO guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    No argument, the Shadow 2 was built from the ground up as a competition gun and at 47 oz unloaded its a chunk. The original SP-01 Shadow and the B variants are considered “duty” guns by some European police departments and probably some militaries. I used to run one of those but the ergos of the Shadow 2 just fit my hand better.

The Beretta on the other hand is a 36 oz gun with that aluminum frame, which is only a few ounces less than the original SP-01 Shadow (39 oz). You can get a short disconnector which reduces the reach of the trigger in DA mode (aka reach reduction kit), but I find the DA trigger to be about the same reach as on my LTT. They are both cool guns, but while I might carry the LTT its doubtful I’d ever carry my Shadow 2 even though mine have been lightened to come in under 45 oz dating back a few years when the weight limit for Carry Optics division was 45 oz.

Speaking of Carry Optics division, it requires guns that are TDA or striker fired. So converting your CZ to SAO will not make it legal for CO division. However on May 1 USPSA is opening up a provisional division called Limited Optics, which does allow SAO guns.
    Copy that. I've heard rumblings about that change in CO. That being said, my ranking relative to the divisions isn't much of a concern to me at this point. I'm wanting to improve with the gun I'm shooting, regardless of division, and I don't consider myself competitive in any division. I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't think my performance is hindered by my division, at this point. Also, I'm using USPSA as a way to build relevant skills with practical equipment in a competitive, dynamic, and challenging arena. At least for now, I'm not interested in buying USPSA-specific gear, so it wouldn't make much difference to me. I don't even know if classic CZ75s can be milled/drilled for MRDS--might need to look into that, eventually...

User Tag List