Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bronze wool and other methods of gentle rust removal

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I started to post this in the Gunsmithing section but I thought it might get more traction here.

Quoting myself because I started thinking, then I started searching Amazon and that can lead to trouble from the Good Idea Fairy.

I'm down to my last bronze wool pad so I hit up Amazon for more. As I was looking I started wondering about a bronze wire wheel for a Dremel or drill. I didn't see any but I did see some brass options for a drill and for a "rotary tool".

What about brass or copper wool? Anyone tried those on metal? What about on wood?
    A bronze wire wheel operated by a power tool would be unnecessarily harsh. If the wire is the same as wire on a bronze bristle brush used to clean bores, then I suggest using one of the above fine wools with oil and gentle hand power.

I've used 0000 steel wool on wood stocks during final refinishing. This used with Tru-Oil does a fantastic job of sprucing up old stocks. The last statement does not apply to refinishing--just cleaning up a stock.

Being ham fisted, I learned to avoid power tools when working on guns. So called gunsmiths mess up plenty with Dremel tools even though they don't view themselves as bubba's.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Use this in addition to bronze wool, and also with oil, for amazing results in removing surface corrosion and other surface goo.

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Also available via Amazon.
    This product is 1st Class. Pure copper similar products work well too. These are available even in supermarkets. A warning is this: Some are iron coated with copper and will scratch gun surfaces. Look for pure copper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Use this in addition to bronze wool, and also with oil, for amazing results in removing surface corrosion and other surface goo.

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

Also available via Amazon.
    I need to dig around on my shelving of doom and shame. I bought a package of that (or a similar competitor) close to 20 years ago during my first go 'round with "cowboy guns". It might be in my box of BP supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive also tried an all copper penny with crisp edges
    Thanks, I'd forgotten that trick! I've got some stubborn rust patches on the buttplate of that new-to-me Uberti 1885 that need attention. If I can't find a pre-82 penny around here, I do have some bronze air motor endplates. I'll cut a square chunk out of one and see what kind of scraper it makes.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List