View Poll Results: Where are you putting spare cash?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the safe, as nothing but cash

8 13.79%
  • Stock market

12 20.69%
  • 401k or other retirement specific savings

12 20.69%
  • Real estate investing

1 1.72%
  • Gold and other precious metals

4 6.90%
  • Land or home improvement for personal use

5 8.62%
  • Paying off ALL debt

16 27.59%
  • Guns, ammo, and prepping

12 20.69%
  • A little bit of everything

18 31.03%
  • Other

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What're you doing with your money in 2023? Or what do you recommend others do?

What're you doing with your money in 2023? Or what do you recommend others do?

I haven't paid enough attention to know if we're in worse economic standing than any point in the last few decades or not, but it seems that there may at least an argument for it. I'm curious what members here do financially and if there have been any recent changes some of you have made in light of current events or personal preferences. Understanding that many don't like to disclose personal financial choices, recommendations you would make to others may also help move the conversation along instead of discussing your specific circumstances. For the context of the poll, I'm asking the question based on the assumption that unsecured debt is paid off or at least very manageable.

Staying the course with pumping max dollars allowed annually into my HSA and as much into the 401k (with employer match) as tolerable with an aggressive index 500/small cap mix. Playing the long game. Will go a little more conservative closer to retirement.

Still buying Treasuries since the combination of pension and spouse's SSA means we don't need to have a high risk portfolio. I limit equity exposure to 33% of the portfolio and the rest a combination of nominal bonds, TIPS and cash.

I've been listening to the "this time it's different" mantra since the mid 80's. Same as it always was.

And if the U.S. defaults, we're all going to be in the same deep hole no matter where your money is invested.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Six month T bills at 5 percent are very attractive, for yield and security.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I voted stock market. But only because I max out my Roth’s every year. And I’m not selling anything else, because they’re all long term investments. I can afford to sit on them. If I was really worried, or just wanted or needed the extra money, CD’s are pushing 5% now.

Historically the market *usually* has a big rebound after a big dip like last year…but all the market forces that caused the dip are still in play so I’m not at all confident it’ll be any time soon. Or rather, all the market forces that caused the massive rally the years before are gone and not coming back any time soon.

High yield savings. With the solvency I desired, and a plan to purchase a car outright in January once my girlfriend's car lease is up, going the route of stacked Treasury bonds and CDs didn't make sense.

I'm more of a Ramsey-esque sort of guy, so I'd like to maintain a debt free life even if that means reducing my TSP contributions for a year.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Six month T bills at 5 percent are very attractive, for yield and security.
    Very true.

Everyone's situation is different, but we carry no debt, own our vehicles and home outright, buy new vehicles for cash. Credit cards are paid in full monthly.

We don't have the deepest pockets, but then we don't need them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I haven't substantially changed my portfolio asset allocation since ~2005, so I'm doing the same thing I've done for 18 years. 85% stocks, 15% bonds mostly in broad market index funds. I don't try to time the market. I may increase my bond allocation slightly within the next five years.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I am mostly unchanged since I entered the workforce in 2009.

Maintain 85/15 equity/bond asset allocation across my tax advantaged retirement space (401k, roth IRA, HSA). Invest in broad based diversified index funds. Automate all contributions on a per paycheck schedule. Set it and forget it. Always contribute enough to get the full employer match at a minimum. Rebalance once per year to maintain desired asset allocation.

In the past year, I have expanded my fixed income investments to I-bonds and 4 week treasury bills due to inflation and rising rates. My emergency cash fund is in an HYSA yielding 3.6% apy.

My mortgage is at 3% so no way in hell I'm paying that off early
    Last edited by shootist26; 03-12-2023 at 10:05 PM.

I'm not changing anything. Panic leads to losses. I've got at least ten years until I can fully retire, although I'll hit mandatory retirement with my current job before that.

All my investments are in index funds, through the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) (fed employees' equivalent of a 401(k)), Roth IRAs, and other taxable mutual funds. Approx 90% stocks, and 10% bonds.

"Be the market," don't try to "beat the market."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/03/bill...e-can-try.html

User Tag List